Brushing cats teeth

Brushing cats teeth

Do I really need to brush my cats teeth? I have a baby toothbrush and have been getting her used to my fingers around and inside her mouth, I haven't actually brushed them yet, she is almost 9 months have I left it to late?

Does anyone brush their cats teeth? if you don't brush what are your cats teeth like?

I've never brushed my cat's teeth, he's around 6 years old and they still seem to be okay. I do free feed him dry daily along with a little bit of canned on the side once a day, and I think the dry helps keep their teeth clean. He's had to go under anesthesia once for removal of a 'resorbed' tooth, but other than that I don't have him go under for cleanings....too risky IMO.

My husband has been scaling our dog's teeth several times a year for decades now, including the young dog we have now. The vet has said their teeth and gums were in excellent condition, even into their old age.

I think it's great that your cat lets you go into her mouth like that, I would take advantage and attempt brushing, no reason not to if it's doable.

Alpha, my former vet said dry food does not help teeth because cats don't really chew it. That explains why the kibbles are so small. I have researched it online too and read the same thing.

Eleora, if you can brush your cat's teeth, pat yourself on the back. I would be shocked if I knew a cat who enjoyed the procedure. Most cats have bad teeth and gums by the time they are five years old.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

:/ ugh I better try it soon. Not looking forward to it, if I succeed I will make a video. I really should have started from when she was 9 weeks but I thought it might irritate her gums as she was teething, so I thought I would wait. We will see D:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    :/ ugh I better try it soon. Not looking forward to it, if I succeed I will make a video. I really should have started from when she was 9 weeks but I thought it might irritate her gums as she was teething, so I thought I would wait. We will see D:
    Brushing a 9-week old kitten would not be worse for the gums than it is now. Kittens are still teething at 6 months. But you probably could have had bloody fingers from getting bitten many times!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, my former vet said dry food does not help teeth because cats don't really chew it. That explains why the kibbles are so small. I have researched it online too and read the same thing.
    I think you're right CatMom, it's something that I've just heard and accepted for years, my cat does chew his dry food a little bit now that I think of it, but not enough to have an effect on the tartar or plaque I'm sure. He doesn't chew every piece though, that's for sure, and it is small sized Blue Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think you're right CatMom, it's something that I've just heard and accepted for years, my cat does chew his dry food a little bit now that I think of it, but not enough to have an effect on the tartar or plaque I'm sure. He doesn't chew every piece though, that's for sure, and it is small sized Blue Buffalo.
    The vet said cats break kibbles in half. That must be what you are seeing77777777777
    I wish I could have known this when Emily was a kitten because she avoided wet food like the plague when she needed it.6555

The numbers were from Daisy's silly paws. She walks on the keyboard.

I was wondering what those number were!

Expect to see more of them sometime. On this forum I have no reason to deleted her nonsense.

You're right, a 9 week cat is too young and still teething. Brush her teeth when she's a bit older and when the teeth is already complete. Share some updates soon

Your kitty looks like mine! SHe even has the the pink ears right? I love those pink ears.

Your kitty looks like mine! She even has the the pink ears right? I love those pink ears.
    My cat? She has gray tabby markings on her head my camera that can't be seen in photographs (probably because I use a small point and shoot). Otherwise she is solid white. But yes, she does have pink ears.

BTW Daisy was 6 months old in that picture and still teething.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    My cat? She has gray tabby markings on her head my camera that can't be seen in photographs (probably because I use a small point and shoot). Otherwise she is solid white. But yes, she does have pink ears.

BTW Daisy was 6 months old in that picture and still teething.
    Aww she sounds very unusual. Molly is almost 9 month's now do you think she has stopped teething? She doesn't seem to want to bite and chew anymore.

Aww she sounds very unusual. Molly is almost 9 month's now do you think she has stopped teething? She doesn't seem to want to bite and chew anymore.
    Daisy stopped teething at 7 months, so Molly is definitely old enough to have her teeth brushed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.