"The Pet Effect" Survey - Psycholgical Research

"The Pet Effect" Survey - Psycholgical Research

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle and I am an undergraduate student at Nottingham Trent University. I am looking for individuals aged 18-30 to fill out my survey for my final year project. Here are some details about the nature of the survey:

Abstract:
    An online survey which aims to further develop our understanding of the human-animal bond in terms of it's impact of psychological well-being.

Description of survey:
    It is believed that pet ownership is able to have beneficial implications on our well-being. This study focuses on providing evidence for this effect, which is often referred to as "The Pet Effect". In this survey, you will answer a series of questions in relation to pet ownership, your attachment with your pet (if you have one), your social support network, your self-compassion, your empathy towards humans and animals and your well-being. It will take around 30 minutes to complete this survey.

If you're still interested in this research based on the information provided, please click the link below which will take you to the survey:
    https://ntupsychology.eu.qualtrics.c...0WuDHYGrAAIeC9

Even if you are not interested in this research, if you know anyone that would be willing to participate (even if they do not own a pet or are not really an animal lover!), it would be really helpful if you could share this.

Thank you!

Why can't adults over age 30 take it? People of all ages have the Pet Effect! In fact, this suvey might show you how it varies based on the ages of the participants. I am 40 and would be interested.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

My question too CatMom, I'm not in that small age group.

Well, since I am apparently too old to participate, I will just write down my ideas here unless the OP adds 10 years to the age requirements.

I will not have pictures of myself with Daisy until Christmas. Are you asking for that or just a picture of my cat?

Also, can it include pets who have crossed Rainbow Bridge or only Daisy and my neighbor's cat Luke, who goes in the backyard almost every day?

The only purrfect answer to start any pet psychological survery is always the same: Pets are family members and treated like kids. There is no such thing as a cat owner.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 12-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.

The most important thing to remember is nobody who has a furry, scaly, or feathered companion actually "owns" the animal. If that was true, people who adopt orphan children would be "owners" of their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Why can't adults over age 30 take it? People of all ages have the Pet Effect! In fact, this suvey might show you how it varies based on the ages of the participants. I am 40 and would be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    My question too CatMom, I'm not in that small age group.
    This is a good question and totally understand why you're asking this! The reason for the age group is because currently, there is already quite a breadth of research concerning animal companionship with those 30+ or with young children. There is little research with the age range specified for my research. So, in short, the age range is to help fill a gap in existing research and understanding concerning the pet effect.

Good university lol, I got my degree at Nottingham Trent (Zoo Biology) 👍

Quote Originally Posted by _Michelle_ View Post
    This is a good question and totally understand why you're asking this! The reason for the age group is because currently, there is already quite a breadth of research concerning animal companionship with those 30+ or with young children. There is little research with the age range specified for my research. So, in short, the age range is to help fill a gap in existing research and understanding concerning the pet effect.
    So you do know about how pets can help retired empty nesters. I used to work at a nursing home with a feline resident.

When I was in that age group, I had jobs. I did not like waiting for a cab to pick me up (I can't drive) because that means I could not be with my cats unless one of them was on my lap. When that happened, I didn't like the thought of putting him down to get in the car. Cat parenthood would have been much better in those days if I could stay home. I know that specific situation is uncommon for young adults, but psychologically it's the "would rather be with the pet than at work" aspect of being a pet parent.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.