Woman in Virginia Mauled to Death by Her Own Dogs

Woman in Virginia Mauled to Death by Her Own Dogs

Disturbing story I just heard about on the news, full article HERE.

Agnew said it appeared the first traumatic injury she suffered was to her was to her throat and face.

"It appears she was taken to the ground, lost consciousness and the dogs then mauled her to death," he said.

While the investigation was considered ongoing, Agnew said there were no strangulation marks on Stephens' body and this was not a homicide.

Agnew described a bloody scene that was littered with scraps of clothing. He added that it took investigators eight hours to collect more than 60 pieces of evidence.
    The dogs are with Goochland Animal Control and the sheriff's office will pursue euthanization.

"It was an absolutely grisly mauling," Agnew said. "In my 40 years of law enforcement I've never seen anything quite like it. I hope I never see anything like it again."

As if some people needed more reasons to hate pit bulls. What did the woman do wrong to make her own dogs do that?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I don't believe it, if her dogs were standing over her body they were probably trying to protect her from whatever it was that attacked her. The whole story sounds fishy to me and only the dogs know what happened and they can't tell.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I figure they should be able to tell more after her autopsy and examination of the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I don't believe it, if her dogs were standing over her body they were probably trying to protect her from whatever it was that attacked her. The whole story sounds fishy to me and only the dogs know what happened and they can't tell.
    The reason it became a story obviously is their breed. This is exactly what we discussed in the "Pitbulls?" thread.

Agnew said he didn't have a history on the animals but said they were "big, strong, powerful dogs" that "you would suspect were bred for fighting, just in looking at them."

This news was in my google news feed, too. Scary and disturbing. One thing that stuck out to me was that the lady had recently received death threats.

I suppose it can't be ruled out that her own dogs attacked her- since it does occasionally happen- but my first thought was that maybe the person who threatened to kill her had his own dogs kill her when she was on her regular walking route and then everyone assumes it was her dogs. Then again, it seems like in that case her own dogs would have tried to defend her and would be injured themselves.

A terrible, horrific event in any case. :- (

How can the investigators figure out if it was her own dogs? If they just make that assumption, two very loving, innocent animals will be killed for no fault of their own.

if the dogs had killed her there would be blood on the dogs, nothing was said about any blood.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    if the dogs had killed her there would be blood on the dogs, nothing was said about any blood.
    How could there be blood on the dogs?

The woman was bleeding reportedly because of dog bites.

Bethany's friend is not buying the account proposed by the police. And in an interview she says that the dogs' kennel appeared broken open, as if the dogs had become aware of a threat and had broken out to protect Bethany:

http://www.nbc12.com/story/37074361/...s-in-goochland

That raises another possibility. Maybe some enemy used their own dog to kill her while she was walking alone. And then went back to her house and broke open the kennel to release her dogs, who just followed the scent to her.

The police say they saw the dogs chewing on the victim's ribcage:

http://wtvr.com/2017/12/19/longtime-...-passive-dogs/

I'm not sure if that has much meaning, though. It sounds like the body was a gruesome mess, and what dog is going to turn down an interesting bone?

Thanks for the update Dog Force, I hope they catch the monster who did that to her and don't take any action against the dogs until they know what really happened.

Dogs don't want to eat their mommy's bones. If they want crunchy treats, they can go find her killer and I would be happy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.