Sandy's vet visit

Sandy's vet visit

She went this morning for her second baby shot, she has gained almost two pounds in a month which the vet said she is ahead of herself as one pound a month is good. First visit she weighed 2.10 today 4.7. Next visit on the 16th then we'll set up the apt to have her spayed and I'll have her microchipped and the dreaded rabies shot when she's spayed
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

My vet also said kittens usually grow at a rate of one pound each month. When is Sandy supposed to be full-grown?

Many shelters including the one i volunteered at spay and neuter eight-week old kittens. I don't know why vets still think they have to put off the surgery until a kitten is 4-6 months old.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Bengals aren't fully mature until they are around 2 years old

I understand why shelters spay and neuter so early but I don't agree with it. They do it because you can't trust people to spay and neuter and its the only way to be sure they aren't going to reproduce but the growth plates don't close on a cat until its between five and six months old. And when done really young they remain kittenish longer because the adult hormones haven't kicked in. Dogs take even longer to mature, I don't do my females until they are 18 months and have been in heat twice.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know why shelters do it, but they wouldn't if it was proven to be unsafe at such a young age. I have read cats who were neutered very early have a higher risk of a urinary tract blockage, but no explanation was given.

Why do Bengals take so long to develop?

Its not so much a problem with early spay and neuter of cats but still there are risks, with dogs if done before fully mature there is a higher incidence of acl injury, and certain cancers. The shelters are only concerned with over population, they won't admit there is a problem with early spay and neuter but check the facts out for yourself, numerous studies have been done and most agree its best to wait until at least a year old to spay and neuter dogs.

Good to know she's healthy and gaining weight Linda.

she was kind of quiet all afternoon, I think the shot made her sleepy

Yeah, those vaccinations definitely affect them, just brought Bigfoot in for a booster and he was quiet and didn't eat much the next day. With a baby like Sandy, there's sure to be more of an effect.

she is still eating fine, but not playing like usual and has slept on and off since we got home. She will need one more on the 16th of Jan than nothing else until I have her spayed. I'm also waiting on the rabies until she is being spayed and have her microchipped at the same time. That microchip needle is a big needle and if she's asleep she won't feel it going in. I really hate doing shots but especially the rabies one, that is the one most likely to have a reaction to if there is a reaction.

I wes told the earliest a kitten can get a rabies shot is four months. The shelter Patricia came from wanted to do both at the same time, but my regular vet said no, she was too young for the rabies shot.

she will be 4 months on the 22nd and her apt is the 16th but I'm putting it off as long as possible.

I had a paper from the vet that her breeder uses, he specializes in bengals, the paper said no shots other than distemper, no shots using live viruses no shots with live modified viruses, spay or neuter at 5 months to eliminate any spraying problem because even females can spray but if done before they are sexually mature it lessens the chance of spraying. he says definately no lukemia shot, because it can cause the cat to have lukemia. I still have the paper to refer to and my vet made a copy of it. Orri's breeder told me basically the same thing, which I followed and never had any issues with him.

Even though Orri is neutered a female being with a male can make them come into heat earlier, so if she comes into heat before five months she'll be done right away. My siamese came into heat at 4 months, at the time I had another bengal male so I wasn't to surprised

Patricia was spayed at 3 months because of shelter policy. I was surprised puppies and kittens canbe spayed/neutered that early because two years earlier, everyone said you have to wait until the kitten is 6 months old. I will never procastrinate again now that I know it is safe to spay kittens half that age.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.