Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Changing Cat kibble

Changing Cat kibble

Molly currently gets some Burns dry food at night, and sometimes a little during the day but her diet is mostly wet food Animonda Carney, GranataPet and Lilys Kitchen along with chicken/turkey breast.

I have researched that chicken meal is better for cats then just chicken is this correct? this is the ingredients of her dry food

Burns dry kitten
    Ingredients:
    Chicken meal 43%, white rice 33%, maize, chicken fat, hydrolysed chicken livers, vitamins & minerals, seaweed, salmon oil

Additives per kg:
    Vitamin A (21,630 IU), vitamin D3 (1,730 IU), vitamin E (82 IU), zinc sulphate monohydrate 270mg, ferrous sulphate monohydrate 240mg, manganous sulphate monohydrate 90mg, cupric sulphate pentahydrate 20mg, sodium selenite 0.6mg, taurine 500mg

I have come across some information that is saying rice is bad for cats if this is true I would like to change the Burns dry food to another type here are some I have in mind and I would really love everyone's view . Thanks.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/purizon/purizon_kitten/497171?gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sMXUcsGY9JJuH tfc23E8IRz7REvlUlYFYyAYVrt7OsLvOADRTseuORoCEakQAvD _BwE

https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/produ...plete-dry-food

https://fetch.co.uk/arden-grange-kit...d-2kg-90472011

https://www.barkingheads.co.uk/cat-f...ittens-delight

rice is a grain, cats are carnivors they don't need grains, maize is corn another ingredient you don't want to feed. And chicken meal is chicken waste like feathers, eyes ect. You want the first ingredient to be meat.

I feed my cats natural balance wet food, give them different flavors for variety, for dry food I feed fromm duck but I'm having a hard time finding the fromm duck so I'm gradually switching to halo.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    And chicken meal is chicken waste like feathers, eyes ect.
    O_O Yuk.
    Google said this, Chicken meal is the dry rendered product from a combination of clean chicken flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from whole carcasses of chicken, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails. The protein content is 65% and the fat level is 12%. Regular chicken contains about 70% water with 18% protein and 5% fat. :/

https://blueseal.com/tech-talks/chic...e-differences/

I like to use foods with chicken as the first ingredient, and not white rice, but at least brown rice if they use rice in the recipe. That Purizon you linked to looks like a good choice. This is what I use, it is weight control and hairball formula, but I was using the regular version of this Blue dry food, been using this brand since he was a kitten.....along with various quality canned daily. https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-...rball-chicken/

Chicken meal description from the Blue Buffalo site:

Chicken Meal

Chicken meal is a highly digestible protein source produced by cooking chicken at high temperatures, extracting the fat and drying the meat residue. It is a meat protein, providing essential amino acids and fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals for muscle development and energy. It is naturally stabilized with mixed tocopherols and rosemary to preserve freshness.

Another view on chicken meal HERE.

Letís differentiate between chicken and chicken meal. The definition for chicken, according to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), describes it as a clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from parts of whole carcasses of chickens thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.

Chicken meal, according to AAFCO, is the dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with and without accompanying bone, derived from whole carcasses of chicken thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails.

Chicken essentially is taking a roaster and grinding it up, mixing everything together including muscle, skin and bones. The water content averages around 70%, along with 18% protein and 5% fat. Now take this ground chicken and carefully dry it to a moisture level of 10%. The protein content is now 65% and the fat level is 12%. This product is chicken meal.

Thanks for posting the ingredient list. Corn, rice, seaweed, any kind of meal or byproducts, and whatever they call hydrolized liver (I never heard of it) are bad for cats. If you see chicken fat on the list, there is not much animal protein and they are just cheating their way to promoting kitten growth. I don't see a single natural source of animal protein on that ingredient list.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

To my knowledge chicken meal is like buying a chicken that humans would eat from the supermarket and grinding it all up, However to be honest I find the entire pet food industry very confusing and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Burns may be playing with words. I can spend hours trying to figure out food labels only to come away understanding 1% of what I just tried to research. XD Its like psychological warfare.

I just want the best for my little Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I don't see a single natural source of animal protein on that ingredient list.
    This concerns my greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    maize is corn another ingredient you don't want to feed.
    I cant believe I never noticed this. I can be so stupid at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I like to use foods with chicken as the first ingredient, and not white rice, but at least brown rice if they use rice in the recipe. That Purizon you linked to looks like a good choice. This is what I use, it is weight control and hairball formula, but I was using the regular version of this Blue dry food, been using this brand since he was a kitten.....along with various quality canned daily. https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-...rball-chicken/

Chicken meal description from the Blue Buffalo site:

Chicken Meal

Chicken meal is a highly digestible protein source produced by cooking chicken at high temperatures, extracting the fat and drying the meat residue. It is a meat protein, providing essential amino acids and fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals for muscle development and energy. It is naturally stabilized with mixed tocopherols and rosemary to preserve freshness.

Hi thank you for the information the cat food you linked looks very good, I forgot to add Applaws to my list could you gave me your view on that one please

https://www.applaws.co.uk/product/dry-kitten-chicken/

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    To my knowledge chicken meal is like buying a chicken that humans would eat from the supermarket and grinding it all up, However to be honest I find the entire pet food industry very confusing and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Burns may be playing with words. I can spend hours trying to figure out food labels only to come away understanding 1% of what I just tried to research. XD It's like psychological warfare.

I just want the best for my little Angel.
    Of course you do, or we would not even know about Molly.

The keyword is rendered. It does start with digestible parts of a chicken, but the rendering process is viewer discretion advised. Linda got meal and byproducts mixed up. Byproducts are the feathers, beaks, feet, etc. No cats need them; they know which parts of a bird to leave behind. If feral cats don't eat beaks, feathers, and feet, why should domestic cats?

You are right about pet food companies fooling you with their vocabulary. The reason they use the words meal and byproducts is they don't want you to know what junk they add to it in place of real meat. Now therre's a huge natural food, grain-free craze in which pet food companies claim their products are healthier because they are grain-free and don't have chicken meal, chicken byproducts, etc. but are sneaky in other ways that pet parents do not understand without thorough research. Truthaboutpetfood.com is a good website to start at to learn the cold, dirty facts pet food companies are hiding from us.

The keyword is rendered. It does start with digestible parts of a chicken, but the rendering process is viewer discretion advised. Linda got meal and byproducts mixed up. Byproducts are the feathers, beaks, feet, etc. No cats need them; they know which parts of a bird to leave behind. If feral cats don't eat beaks, feathers, and feet, why should domestic cats?

You are right about pet food companies fooling you with their vocabulary. The reason they use the words meal and byproducts is they don't want you to know what junk they add to it in place of real meat. Now therre's a huge natural food, grain-free craze in which pet food companies claim their products are healthier because they are grain-free and don't have chicken meal, chicken byproducts, etc. but are sneaky in other ways that pet parents do not understand without thorough research. Truthaboutpetfood.com is a good website to start at to learn the cold, dirty facts pet food companies are hiding from us.
    Thank you I will have a good read. Its an insidious industry bit like big pharma and the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Thank you I will have a good read. It's an insidious industry bit like big pharma and the rest.
    How is it like big pharma?

I think TAPF was founded after the massive 2007 pet food recalls that prompted the "grain-free" and "made in the USA" labeling requirements.

How is it like big pharma?
    I mean the Pet Food Industry is like Big Pharma by telling us something is good and leaving out the long term side affects. Leaving out the negatives and only giving us the positives. Yes some drugs do help but I don't want a drug that will help one thing but then I end up having to deal with 5 other things :P Never mind just my mind wondering, I do that a lot and go way off topic.

The keyword is rendered. It does start with digestible parts of a chicken, but the rendering process is viewer discretion advised.
    I just read this !!!!

Because meat can be rid of infectious agents through the rendering process, “4D” animals (dead, dying, diseased or disabled) are allowable chicken meal ingredients. While not always present, the possible inclusion of these ingredients makes chicken meal always considered unfit for human consumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_meal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.