Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Changing Cat kibble

I don't consider chicken meal a bad ingredient, as long as it's not the first one on the list. More on chicken meal HERE

AAFCO definition of poultry by-product meal:
    Consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcasses of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines, exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.
    Keep in mind by-products consist of the parts of animals that are NOT meat. Poultry by-products include parts of the fowl that have little or no nutritional value -- and there's no way to tell which parts have been mixed into your pet's food.
    The scientist refers to poultry by-products as value-added ingredients. Value-added for whom? Certainly not the animals eating the stuff. He also describes rendering as environmentally responsible.

It doesn't seem appropriate nutrition for dogs and cats is a part of the discussion at all, does it? It's clearly all about what's important and of value to the pet food industry's bottom line not the health or quality of life of the animals it is feeding.

For obvious reasons, poultry by-products are less expensive than, for example, chicken muscle meat, but they are also less digestible for dogs and cats. Pets deficient in high quality protein at the cellular level are often constantly hungry. An inexpensive pet food with by-products doesn't end up being much of a bargain if you're feeding twice as much of it to your dog or cat, attempting unsuccessfully to satisfy his hunger.
    More Word Confusion
    Back to the pet food company scientist's statement, "The petfood world is very reliant on poultry byproducts. Chicken meal and poultry fat are important ingredients in pet food."

Chicken meal is not a poultry by-product.

AAFCO definition of chicken meal:
    Chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size.
    Why does the scientist continue to switch back and forth between words describing generally good quality ingredients (chicken fat, chicken meal), and words describing poor quality ingredients (poultry fat, poultry by-products)?

Why would a pet food company's quality assurance scientist be so imprecise in his discussion of The Importance of Rendered Ingredients in Pet Foods?

Did he mean to say chicken by-product meal, since the thrust of his presentation is the virtue of using rendered by-products?

AAFCO definition of chicken by-product meal:
    Chicken by-product meal consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practices.
    Chicken meal is vastly different from chicken by-product meal. The distinction between good/decent pet food ingredients and poor ingredients is a crucially important one. Trying to decipher an ingredient label to determine the quality of a pet food is challenging, to say the least.

I would not want it second on the list either. In fact I don't see anything that should convince me chicken meal is a good way to get animal protein.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I found this stuff and its available locally but I thought garlic was bad for cats?

https://freshpet.com/uk/#!/recipe/7

Ingredients
    Chicken (54%), Chicken Liver (21%), Ocean Whitefish (10%), Pea Protein, Digest, Pea Fibre, Eggs, Minerals, Carrots (1%), Spinach (0.3%), Garlic Powder, Celery Seed Powder

Nutritional Additives / kg
    Vitamin D3 632 IU, Vitamin E 84 IU, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 450 mg (Zinc 67 mg), Ferrous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 492 mg (Iron 74 mg), Cupric Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 46 mg (Copper 6.9 mg), Manganese Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 56 mg (Manganese 8.4 mg), Sodium Selenite 0.21 mg (Selenium 0.1 mg), Calcium Iodate 0.5 mg (Iodine 0.3 mg), Taurine 528 mg

What do you think?

So I have made my mind up I am going to try her on Eden I ordered a sample pack, but now I just remembered that I forgot to ask if its ok for a 9 month old kitten. (rolls eyes) the plan is to reduce the dry food and try a bit of raw along with her wet food, like one raw meal a day.

https://edenpetfoods.com/products/ed...-cat-food.html

if the cat is used to commercial food he may not like the raw. I feed the dog raw but the cats refuse to eat anything but cat food. None of my cats will touch table food, nothing, not even raw meat.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    So I have made my mind up I am going to try her on Eden I ordered a sample pack, but now I just remembered that I forgot to ask if its ok for a 9 month old kitten. (rolls eyes) the plan is to reduce the dry food and try a bit of raw along with her wet food, like one raw meal a day.

https://edenpetfoods.com/products/ed...-cat-food.html
    Petshop, co, UK said on their site that it's suitable for all cats including kittens, just adjust the serving size appropriately. I was always suspicious of that with dog foods, the brand that said they could be fed for pups or adults, because puppies do have some extra nutritional needs I understand.

Good luck with the new food and feeding routine, seems like a good product there. My cat will eat things like a bit of raw ground beef or steak, but I never gave him too much because he did have some digestive issues when we got him as a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    I found this stuff and its available locally but I thought garlic was bad for cats?

https://freshpet.com/uk/#!/recipe/7

Ingredients
    Chicken (54%), Chicken Liver (21%), Ocean Whitefish (10%), Pea Protein, Digest, Pea Fibre, Eggs, Minerals, Carrots (1%), Spinach (0.3%), Garlic Powder, Celery Seed Powder

Nutritional Additives / kg
    Vitamin D3 632 IU, Vitamin E 84 IU, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 450 mg (Zinc 67 mg), Ferrous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 492 mg (Iron 74 mg), Cupric Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 46 mg (Copper 6.9 mg), Manganese Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 56 mg (Manganese 8.4 mg), Sodium Selenite 0.21 mg (Selenium 0.1 mg), Calcium Iodate 0.5 mg (Iodine 0.3 mg), Taurine 528 mg

What do you think?
    That stuff is awful. "Digiest" is another word pet food companies use to hide dirty tricks. And yes, garlic is bad for cats. At least you are getting somewhere with the first three ingredients being meat.

Good luck with the new kibbles. Let us know either way if she likes it.

I don't think it's awful, a lot of grain free foods these days will use peas or some form of pea fiber in their recipes for protein. Wilderness Grain Free uses peas and pea fiber, I think the 'digest' is just a more digestible form of the peas, could be the same as the fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I don't think it's awful, a lot of grain free foods these days will use peas or some form of pea fiber in their recipes for protein. Wilderness Grain Free uses peas and pea fiber, I think the 'digest' is just a more digestible form of the peas, could be the same as the fiber.
    Animal digest is a common ingredient used in pet foods. As defined by the Association of American Feed Control Officials, digest is produced by the chemical or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean animal tissue that has not undergone decomposition. These animal tissues may not include hair, horns, teeth, hooves, and feathers, with the exclusion of trace amounts that are unavoidable even after acceptable processing methods.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_digest

She has been a bit fussy the last few days all she really wants to eat is chicken breast, She isn't eating Lily's kitchen and not much Animonda Carny she will eat maybe a tablespoon. The more I am looking into foods the more I am realizing that the dry food isn't good. Really dunno what to do its a minefield trying to sift through all the jargon. I just watched a documentary call Pet Fooled has any one seen it? Maybe I should pop out and get her some Natures menu raw tomorrow and give her a little because I don't think the chicken breast has enough nutrients. She had some Applaws dry in the afternoon about two tablespoons maybe that bloated her. I hope she isn't going to be one of those cats who only wants dry food! She hasn't been getting any during the day for about two weeks now were as before she had it out constantly but she ate a lot of wet food too about 4/5 times a day. Maybe she is getting older and doesn't want to eat as much? she is now 9 months.

A few months ago I was chopping raw chicken and she pulled a bit off of the plate I had it on and was about the eat it. Would it be ok if I bought her Natures Menu raw food and then cook it? or will that destroy the nutrients?

Just feeding a raw chicken breast is not enough. Cats need to eat more taurine than people and dogs because they can't make it themselves. However, the reason you see a long list of added nutrients on wet and dry pet food labels is cooking kills a lot of nutrients. So if you want to feed Molly a chicken breast as supplemental feeding, put a raw one in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Just feeding a raw chicken breast is not enough. Cats need to eat more taurine than people and dogs because they can't make it themselves. However, the reason you see a long list of added nutrients on wet and dry pet food labels is cooking kills a lot of nutrients. So if you want to feed Molly a chicken breast as supplemental feeding, put a raw one in the freezer.
    And those added vitamins are synthetic right?

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I think "animal" digest is a LOT different from pea vegetable digest, don't you agree?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.