Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Changing Cat kibble

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think "animal" digest is a LOT different from pea vegetable digest, don't you agree?
    The label does not say if it is animal or plant digest. How is she supposed to know which one it is?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Petshop, co, UK said on their site that it's suitable for all cats including kittens, just adjust the serving size appropriately. I was always suspicious of that with dog foods, the brand that said they could be fed for pups or adults, because puppies do have some extra nutritional needs I understand.

Good luck with the new food and feeding routine, seems like a good product there. My cat will eat things like a bit of raw ground beef or steak, but I never gave him too much because he did have some digestive issues when we got him as a kitten.
    I emailed them they said it can be given to cats or kittens... I don't know I suppose I can just use it as treats. I am going to try the Purizon one that you recommended too and maybe Wellness Core kitten, at least those are specially for kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    I emailed them they said it can be given to cats or kittens... I don't know I suppose I can just use it as treats. I am going to try the Purizon one that you recommended too and maybe Wellness Core kitten, at least those are specially for kittens.
    Cats and Kittens means you simply feed a kitten twice as much per day as the regular amount that is on the feeding instructions. If the label says feed 1 can a day, you would give a growing kitten 2 cans. I imagine that would be $$$ (sorry, no pound key on my keyboard) unless you can find a buy one get one deal online.

I just found this in the advice section of the Burns food website that Molly has, what do you guys think is it rubbish? Its about grains. But it seems to be aimed at Dogs.

http://burnspet.co.uk/assets/downloa...insLeaflet.pdf

And this one about Maize

http://burnspet.co.uk/assets/downloa...factsheet2.pdf

I question whether Dr. Burns took any feline nutrition classes. Unlike dogs, cats cannot easily digest whole grains or maize and have little use for the nutrients they provide. Cats also never adapted to eating what people do despite living with humans for thousands of years. Yes, a cat can be allergic to any ingredient, but any good vet would know one of the most common food allergies in cats is corn. Most cats are also lactose intolerant.

Dr. Burns obviously fails to consider researching nationwide or large university studies that follow cats and dogs throughout their lives when he only cites his own 40 years of experience and makes false assumptions that his patients are doing well because of the maize and whole grains. They may be healthy, but maize, brown rice, barley, and oats are not the ingredients helping them. It is all about the meat, not the grains.

It sounds to me like he's just trying to sell a cheaply made product with grains and a lot of doubletalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    That one looks good to me.

Dandelion?: I have never heard of cats eating them. That is the weirdest ingredient I ever saw on a cat food label. Most cat foods don't have parsley either. That does not mean they are "bad" ingredients though.

I would go for it. If Molly does not like it, I would suspect the culprit is sweet potatoes because you know she likes chicken.

So I got some new kibble samples through the post yesterday The Eden one and the Vets Kitchen and she Loves them both but she REALLY loves the Eden one. I smashed some of it up in a pestle and mortar and sprinkled on her wet food and she is eating it now, at least that will do until I get some different wet food, I cant buy it locally because its all crap so have to order her food online. Vets Kitchen were very kind, I sent them an email asking if they had food for kittens and they sent me a 210g sample for free.

Wow, it looks like you are making some progress. You can also mash the Eden with water and see if Molly will eat it that way.

Good idea, I read that you can sprinkle Parmesan on cats food to encourage them to eat it? I got that from http://catinfo.org/

Nonsense. Cats can't have dairy.

Cats can enjoy dairy in small limited quantities with no bad side effects. My cat will get small pieces of American cheese or a mild gouda cheese often with no problem, as long as it's not a sharp or spiced cheese. Also, we've been having heavy cream with some of our Christmas meals and desserts, and he enjoys a small drop of it as a treat too. I wouldn't feed them dairy as a regular diet, and I've never given my cats milk to drink.

I think a tiny teeny sprinkle would be ok, she had a bit off my finger earlier. I went to the loo once and when I came back her head was in my ice cream licking it, (my fault for leaving it there) but I thought she was asleep! She never got the runs. I tried giving goats milk once and kittens milk she didn't want it. I let her sometimes have a little lick of ice cream and yogurt and she hasn't had any problems.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.