Kitty High's

Kitty High's

I bought Molly this Potent Power mix it contains, catnip, catmint, Honeysuckle and valerian, I offered it to her twice and she ran away...

https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/s...product_id=721

She some times responds to catnip, some times she eats it other times she sniffs it and runs around like her bum caught on fire, she almost always responds to Valerian she has a thing called a Stinky Puff its made of rabbit hair and filled with Valerian she rolls over holding it in her paws licking it and rubbing her face in it and her eyes look glazed. I have Silvervine Leaves she eats those but she doesn't seem to get high on them.

What do your cats like? And how do they react to it?

Molly with her Stinky Puff

Why would a toy with rabbit fur, catnip, and catnip be called Stinky Puff? I know nothing about valerian, but if it stunk, companies would not use it.

The reason Molly does not respond to all catnip is some companies use less potent forms of it. Some use only the leaves and flowers; others also include the stems. There also may be differences in how long catnip stays fresh. Some toys get stale so quicikly they seem to be a waste of money. You might want to check rhe brands and see which companies make the most potent, longest-lasting catnip flavors.

I am not a fan of rabbit fur toys. Daisy's first toys were rabbit fur mice. She was teething at the time and pulled a lot of hairs out. They were just glued on.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Not all cats respond to catnip and kittens under five or six months old have no effects on it at all. Even the big jungle cats respond to catnip. My siamese goes nuts over the catnip, the bengals not so much, my kitten is to young to know but my older one may sniff it and walk away, he has no interest in it at all

the catnip "high" only lasts about ten minutes and would take 20 minutes to a half hour to interest them again
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I read catnip is like a drug when eaten even though it is just an herb.

Why don't kittens respond to catnip?

Newborn kittens aren't usually responsive to catnip at all until they are about 3 months of age. If he's still young, give it some time. He may wind up falling in love with his catnip toys when he gets a little older, but don't be discouraged if he never seems to care. Not all felines respond to catnip.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You made me think now lol. I first thought is was called stinky 'puff' because it looks puffy and stinks to high heaven with Valerian. But now I am not so sure about the puff part.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    You made me think now lol. I first thought is was called stinky 'puff' because it looks puffy and stinks to high heaven with Valerian. But now I am not so sure about the puff part.
    I think some stuffed animals look puffy..Stinky was the word that confused me.

How old is Molly?

Cute video of your Molly, Eleora. I've never used any catnip products for any of my cats over the years, I looked into it again when Loki was a kitten, but read that it was not recommended for kittens. So the couple of toys/scratchers that came with it, I threw it in the trash. I think I would lean more towards Valerian, as I know it is a calming herb for humans. Not sure how it smells though.

Guess that although it is calming for people (I have used it for sleep), it has an energizing effect on cats. More HERE.

Valerian

This pungent herb is best known for helping people to relax and get a good night’s sleep. Not so for Mr. Whiskers. Valerian works as a stimulant on cats; good for transforming lazy, fat cats into exercise machines. Pair this with the fact that cats actually like eating the plant and you’ve got the perfect formula for a healthy, furry feline.

Molly is 9 months old today, I love the smell of Valerian but the stinky puff is VERY strong I like it but a lot of people say they cant stand it.

Sandy will be three months old tomorrow, have to take a picture for her baby album

I am thinking of getting Molly a fresh catnip plant when she reaches one year old.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.