Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing wet food

Changing wet food

Hello everyone Molly isn't eating her wet food as she was before I am thinking of changing it and also is there anything that I can sprinkle on it or add to it that will encourage her to eat it?
    She mostly has 'Animonda Carny Kitten beef chicken and rabbit' and 'Lilys Kitchen kitten' (sometimes 'Grau and GranataPet kitten' but she isn't too keen on those really) along with some cooked chicken breast or turkey breast. However recently she only seems to want to eat chicken breast and I know this doesn't have enough nutrients for her.

When I got her the lady said she fef her chicken breast and purina but all she really eats is the is chicken breast, Molly was 9 weeks then. So the chicken breast thing is maybe because that is what she was used to early on :/

I was looking at this food https://www.happykittycompany.co.uk/...ey-rabbit-200g

What do you think is it good or can I find better? Its £7 for delivery so it will cost me like £8 just to try one can but if its good Its worth it because then after that I can buy in bulk. The UK seems to be limited when it comes to information about pet foods.

My Vet told me that they are not allowed to recommend foods so not going to get any help there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Hello everyone Molly isn't eating her wet food as she was before I am thinking of changing it and also is there anything that I can sprinkle on it or add to it that will encourage her to eat it?
    You can sprinkle something on the food like Orijen freeze dried treats, my cat (and dog) loves them, they can be crumbled between your fingers. Link I posted in this older thread. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....ghlight=orijen

What? I can't believe vets are not allowed to recommend pet foods in the UK. In the USA that is part of their job.

The lady you got Molly from obviously fed her the wrong stuff. Purina is one of the worst companies and makes many cats sick. I don't care if "grain-free" is on the label. They use low-quality ingredients, including meats from China. ("Made in the USA" only means the factory is here, not the ingredient sources.)

Like I said in the changing kibbles thread, plain chicken breast would be better for her if you don't cook it (assuming there are no germs caused by thawing). Even if you do this make sure it does not become the primary source of protein for Molly with wet food being the supplement.

You are right about dry food. Obviously it is better than table scraps, but I would never recommend it to a cat who is willing to eat wet food instead. Unfortunately, some cats simply will not touch wet food. Hopefully you will not have that problem with Molly because she is still a kitten.

The reason cats should not eat dry food regularly otherwise is they have a low thirst drive. Although felis catus individuals can live anywhere, the fact they originated from the African wildcat, which lived in the deserts of Egypt and adapted to a low water supply means they get most of the water needs from their food. Cats are also pickier about having fresh, clean water than dogs. You won't see a feral cat drink dirty rainwater.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Yeah you would think that a Vets main priority would be nutrition.

Yeah you would think that a Vets main priority would be nutrition.
    Nutrition is not a vet's main priority, but the good ones will recommend wet foods that are not made by Purina.

Sorry with all the info I keep posting on here I just need people to share it with because there is nowhere else I can get any information from.

I sent an email to this company asking if they had kitten food and just got answer back http://www.thehonestcatfoodcompany.co.uk/en-gb

With regards to our foods, they will be more than suitable for your kitten. Occasionally you will see foods marketed as ‘kitten’ food. In reality, there isn’t really much difference between kitten and adult food. Mostly, you will find that kitten food has been minced a little finer, and the manufacturers may play around with some different quantities of ingredients used, but those are usually the only major differences.

If you think to what a kitten would eat in the wild, it would essentially be the same food that it’s mother would eat - vermin, birds etc, and they don’t come in adult or kitten food format. In my opinion, a lot of ‘kitten’ food is purely just marketing spin. As long as their food contains the necessary high meat, medium fat and low carbohydrate levels and the right amounts of taurine, balanced calciumhosphorus levels and the essential mineral, vitamins and amino acids, then it will benefit the cat no matter what age they are, and it matters not wether this is classed as kitten, adult or senior food.

I fed my own cat our foods from 16 weeks old, and I have customers who feed it to their kittens as soon as they are weaned, so at 9 months old, you have nothing to worry about. Also, hopefully, they won’t have developed too many fussy eating habits by that age, so you should find the introduction and transition to a new food relatively easy.

There is a whole section on the website, which I’m sure you’ve already discovered, about what a cat really needs from their food source along with why and how our foods meet a cat’s unique nutritional requirements. The health benefits to a species relevant diet are enormous, and whilst we always recommend that, whenever possible, raw food is added to your cat’s diet, our foods certainly provide the relevant nutrition your little furry carnivore needs to thrive.

If you’d like any more information on our products and services, or to discuss feline nutrition any further then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and I hope to hear from you soon.

In my opinion, a lot of ‘kitten’ food is purely just marketing spin.
    I strongly disagree with this part. Companies that make food which is appropriate for all ages puts "Cats and Kittens" on the front label to let customers know that. If only one word (kitten or cat) is on the label there are significant differences including the all-important taurine and proteins required for growth. If you buy foods that are labeled for all ages, you will end up buying more cans - and, thus, spending more money to feed Molly.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I strongly disagree with this part. Companies that make food which is appropriate for all ages puts "Cats and Kittens" on the front label to let customers know that. If only one word (kitten or cat) is on the label there are significant differences including the all-important taurine and proteins required for growth. If you buy foods that are labeled for all ages, you will end up buying more cans - and, thus, spending more money to feed Molly.
    I always give her kitten food I know people here that dont and feed adult food but I would not want to risk it.

I always give her kitten food I know people here that dont and feed adult food but I would not want to risk it.
    Some people think once a kitten becomes full-grown, it can switch to adult formulas. That is not true. I switched Patricia early because she kept trying to eat Emily's food and table scraps.

This is one of the canned foods I give my cat Wellness, chicken flavor shown on the page. If you click on "Kitten", you'll see the difference in their kitten formulas. It seems like the kitten has .5% more protein, 1% less fat, and the same amounts of taurine. I think with a lot of puppy foods the protein and fat content are higher. This is just one example of course. https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-cat-food/product-catalog/complete-healthtm-pate-chicken

My vets never recommended specific brands of food either, except for something they were encouraged to promote and sold right there in the office like Hill's Science Diet for health problems, which IMO is a poor quality food.

Eleora, there IS a lot of info out there, and some of it contradicting on pet foods, so it's hard to study and understand it all, I know I don't. But, I do like to read the info and make my own decision on what I think is best for my cat, what is a quality food in an affordable price range, etc. It's a personal decision, and I think it would be hard to find the perfect cat food. I don't know how important it is to feed a food labeled for kittens if the nutrition information is similar.....especially if you also give high protein treats in addition.

It's nice that you received such a quick response from the company via email. I have to say your cat looks very healthy and in great condition, so you're doing a lot of the right things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    This is one of the canned foods I give my cat Wellness, chicken flavor shown on the page. If you click on "Kitten", you'll see the difference in their kitten formulas. It seems like the kitten has .5% more protein, 1% less fat, and the same amounts of taurine. I think with a lot of puppy foods the protein and fat content are higher. This is just one example of course. https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-cat-food/product-catalog/complete-healthtm-pate-chicken

My vets never recommended specific brands of food either, except for something they were encouraged to promote and sold right there in the office like Hill's Science Diet for health problems, which IMO is a poor quality food.

Eleora, there IS a lot of info out there, and some of it contradicting on pet foods, so it's hard to study and understand it all, I know I don't. But, I do like to read the info and make my own decision on what I think is best for my cat, what is a quality food in an affordable price range, etc. It's a personal decision, and I think it would be hard to find the perfect cat food. I don't know how important it is to feed a food labeled for kittens if the nutrition information is similar.....especially if you also give high protein treats in addition.

It's nice that you received such a quick response from the company via email. I have to say your cat looks very healthy and in great condition, so you're doing a lot of the right things.
    Thanks! 5% isn't much difference. You know what I think that I better just go with my intuition because as you said there is just to much conflicting info out there and my head is gone to mush.

Thanks! 5% isn't much difference. You know what I think that I better just go with my intuition because as you said there is just to much conflicting info out there and my head is gone to mush.
    Alpha1 said 0.5%, not 5%. The higher amount is more important for growing kittens, but I still prefer to feed kitten food until my kitty is 11-12 months old.

Conflicting nutrition information is a fact of life. It is worse for dogs, which are omnivores but often mistaken to be strictly carnivores because they originated from gray wolves. At least there is no question cats are really carnivores because no vegetarian feline would survive more than one day.

Yes, it was only a .5 % difference, not much at all. I go with my intuition too Eleora, and if there's a reason I find to change my choice, it's always an option. Cats don't always eat the same amount of food all the time either, a mature cat may eat less than a kitten, or any cat may eat like Garfield for a month or so, and then eat lightly, and it's not due to any illness, just their moods and appetites at the time. At least that's what I've noticed in my cats over the years.

Thats good to know Lol @ Garfield

Can you please help me with ingredients,

Is this good?

GratanaPat
    Duck & Poultry:
    36% duck (muscle meat, heart and liver), 36% poultry (muscle meat, heart, stomach and liver), 25% duck and poultry stock, 1% pomegranate seeds, 1% salmon oil, 1% minerals.
    Additives per kg:
    Nutritional additives: Vitamin D3 (200 IU), taurine (1500mg), zinc [as zinc oxide] (15mg), manganese [as manganese-(II)-oxide] (3mg), iodine [as calcium iodate anhydrous] (0.75mg)

Catz FineFood
    Beef & Duck:
    50% beef (approx. 70% heart & lean meat, 2/3 meat and 1/3 heart; approx. 30% offal, of which 1/2 liver and 1/2 lung), 24.15% water, 20% duck (approx. 1/2 heart and 1/2 liver), 3% cranberries, 2% aloe vera, 0.5% rosemary, 0.2% rapeseed oil, 0.15% taurine.
    Nutritional additives:
    Vitamin A (3,000 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (200 IU/kg) vitamin E (30mg/kg), vitamin B1 (13mg/kg), vitamin B2 (6mg/kg), vitamin B6 (3mg/kg), vitamin B12 (75mcg/kg), vitamin C (40mg/kg), choline chloride (700mg/kg), pantothenic acid (12mg/kg), nicotinamide (18mg/kg), folic acid (0.6mg/kg), biotin (300mcg/kg), total zinc (15mg/kg), as zinc sulphate (3mg/kg), manganese area (3mg/kg), as manganese sulphate (3mg/kg), iodine as iodate (0.75mg/kg), selenium as sodium selenite (0.03mg/kg), calcium (0.2-0.3%), phosphorus (0.15-0.25%), sodium (0.2-0.3%), magnesium (0.03-0.04%), potassium (0.17-0.25%).

Or is it better when it just says meat like these,

Meowing Heads
    Ingredients:
    Chicken (98%) (including 70% chicken, 28% chicken broth), minerals, salmon oil, sunflower oil.
    Additives per kg:
    Nutritional additives:
    Taurine (1500mg), vitamin D3 (200IU), vitamin E [alpha-Tocopherol] (30mg).
    Trace elements: zinc sulphate monohydrate (15mg), manganous sulphate monohydrate (3mg), calcium iodate anhydrous (0.75mg).

Lilys Kitchen
    Ingredients:
    Beef:
    Beef (26%), chicken (20%), pork (10.5%), chelated minerals.
    Nutritional additives:
    Vitamin A (100 IU/kg), zinc chelate from amino acid hydrate (40mg/kg), copper chelate from amino acid hydrate (2mg/kg), manganese chelate from amono acid hydrate (1.6mg/kg), calcium iodate, anhydrous (0.78mg/kg).
    Technological additives:
    Carrageenan (5.3mg/kg).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.