Enlightening Article

Enlightening Article

I have just read this article, it has left me feeling rather angry

The only pet foods I noticed at the vets was Hills Science diet, mentioned in that article. Just from looking at the ingredients and reading some reviews I knew it was junk, and the vets were profiting from the sales. I think a lot of large corporations are 'in bed' with each other, doing favors for financial gain. Just like drug companies and their relationship with doctors and the medical business, push the prescription and you will get perks.

I have learned here about how feeding cats just dry food can harm their kidneys or lead to urinary crystals and infections, I try to balance wet with dry on a daily basis for both my cat and dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    The only pet foods I noticed at the vets was Hills Science diet, mentioned in that article. Just from looking at the ingredients and reading some reviews I knew it was junk, and the vets were profiting from the sales. I think a lot of large corporations are 'in bed' with each other, doing favors for financial gain. Just like drug companies and their relationship with doctors and the medical business, push the prescription and you will get perks.

I have learned here about how feeding cats just dry food can harm their kidneys or lead to urinary crystals and infections, I try to balance wet with dry on a daily basis for both my cat and dog.
    You are right. Hill's representatives, not professors, teach veterinary students most of what they know about cat and dog nutrition.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

The explosion of pet foods that are grain-free, gluen-free, all-natural, etc. began after a massive pet food recall in 2007 in response to thousands of cats and dogs being killed by melamine poisoning. Of course, that led to another form of misleading pet food labeling, but now customers are smarter about buying kibbles and cans that do not have artificial junk or (if possible) ingredients imported from China. Hill's Pet is one of the companies that was involved in that recall.

I saw a documentary called Pet Fooled it mentioned all that in it and about Hills Science Diet.

Why can't there be a law banning the practice of pet food manufacturers using veterinary colleges to sell their products? That is one cause of food poisoning in cats and dogs including the 2007 disaster that changed how pet foods are marketed.

If the public push hard enough hopefully there will be such a law.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    If the public push hard enough hopefully there will be such a law.
    Unfortunately most of the public will never know about it because they keep reading the disclaimer on pet health care websites that no information trumps what their own vet says.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.