Photo collage frames

Question Photo collage frames

I have tons of photographs from the years everyone had 35mm film cameras. My dad always ordered double copies (I don't know why) and cat pictures were no exception. While talking about what art to hang in my bedroom, Mom suggested buying a photo collage frame to put pictures of all five cats in my life (Emily, Patricia, Wilbur, Daisy, and Luke) together. It would be better than my memorial plaques for Emily and Wilbur, which make her sad. (I will never get rid of them; they will be hung after Mom passes away.)

We chose a wall to hang the collage frame on. It can be either horizonal or vertical. I strongly dislike alphabetical frames (custom word or name matting), but am mostly open-minded right now. Have you ever done this for your pets? I welcome any suggestions that are not expensive.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

all of my older 35 mm photos I scanned and put everything in a digital file. My next project is I have several boxes of slides. I plan on converting them to pictures and filing them also
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    all of my older 35 mm photos I scanned and put everything in a digital file. My next project is I have several boxes of slides. I plan on converting them to pictures and filing them also
    Mine are in a box that is just the right size for one copy of each. I have to store all of the duplicates somewhere else.

Never mind. I got a collage frame for Christmas. It has four horizonta frames, one vertical frame, and a raise vertical oval in the middle. The vertical rectangle has an insert that reads, "Love makes everything better." So true, and a beautiful Christmas message that applies to cats. I will take it out though. I will post a picture of it after the project is done.

Does anyone else do this with their cats? This isv my first time making a collage, but I did have to stort through pictures of Emily and Wilbur for their memorial plaques years ago.

Mom thinks they are supposed to be portraits with plain backgrounds. That is baloney. The entire concept is showing off memories of what my feline friends did.

This reminds me of a project I've got planned for myself. I have this very large frame (70x100cm) and plan to go through all the old photographs. I'll cut out family and pets from the photos rather than insert the whole thing. I think it will take a while to do but should look interesting when I'm done so that's a possible idea for yourself. If you've got the negatives you could possibly get the images in different sized prints as well if it suits.

This is the frame I have

Just remembered something I did for my pets a long time ago, it's similar to what I'm going to do with the frame and photographs! A while ago I cut Cleo, my gecko out of her digital images and placed them in a collage on the computer, this time it's pretty much the same thing but with actual photos.

How do you cut the subject out of photos?

My own plan is to cut them out roughly with a pair of scissors as it would be too time consuming with the number of photos I plan to cut out to be cutting them too cautiously. If you wanted to be neater you could use smaller and more precise scissors such as embroidery or fly tying scissors ( my friend got a pair of dr. Slick fly tying scissors for cutting out detailed silhouettes). The image I did on computer I think I used something like gimp or paint as I didn’t know anything about photoshop at that point and used the eraser tool to rub out the pictures background then layer the images separately onto a black background.

Cat, I meant cutting subjects out from the background digitally, not with scissors.

Did you read the bottom part of my post?

In your original post you said you had lots of photos from 35mm film cameras so based my reply partly on that too to give you a broader scope of options as there are specific scissors better tasked for the job that you might not have been aware of, but I dont know what you plan to do yet so my answers have to be broad to try and make sure I'm answering your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat001 View Post
    Did you read the bottom part of my post?

In your original post you said you had lots of photos from 35mm film cameras so based my reply partly on that too to give you a broader scope of options as there are specific scissors better tasked for the job that you might not have been aware of, but I dont know what you plan to do yet so my answers have to be broad to try and make sure I'm answering your question.
    The thing I have holds three 4x6 horizontal pictures, one 5x7 horizontal picture, and two 5x7 vertical pictures. One of the vertical frames is an oval shape; the rest are rectangles. Although it is called a collage frame, the design is actually six frames that are attached to make it one piece. I will post a picture of it after Mom hangs it on the wall.

All pictures of my neighbor's cat, Luke, and Daisy are only on the computer. So for simple edits like cropping, straightening, and color adjustments, I can modify some of them myself. I also have pictures of Wilbur and Patricia together on the computer. I am having a hard time because they are on messy blankets or there is something wrong with the background. It would be nice if I could cut and paste just the cats when cropping is not an option.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.