Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coconut oil on paws

Coconut oil on paws

I noticed that Molly's front paws area little bit dry and I think its just the toe pads not the big pad the back ones are ok so I don't think it something internal? and it cant be something she is walking over because the back ones would be the same? Could it be from scratching her scratching posts? What could be the cause? and is coconut oil safe to put on them? The one I have is cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil .

Yes, coconut oil is safe to use on them, I've even given it to both my dog and cat internally at times, take it myself. The only drawback is she'll probably immediately lick it all off.....or it might leave an oily mark or stain on certain fabrics, etc. I never noticed that dryness on my cat, but they definitely use their front paws much more than the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Yes, coconut oil is safe to use on them, I've even given it to both my dog and cat internally at times, take it myself. The only drawback is she'll probably immediately lick it all off.....or it might leave an oily mark or stain on certain fabrics, etc. I never noticed that dryness on my cat, but they definitely use their front paws much more than the back.

Thanks, I just put some on them, It was so funny! she was licking my fingers as I was doing it. I just noticed that there is one toe in particular that looks weird this one I wonder if its the rice in that Burns food? but wouldn't that be in more that just one toe?

paw2.jpg

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with a rice ingredient in the food. Maybe she stepped on something that was hot, like a radiator or stove burner?

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with a rice ingredient in the food. Maybe she stepped on something that was hot, like a radiator or stove burner?
    Yeah the other day she jumped up on the ceramic stove it was off but still a bit hot. I usually close the kitchen door I have no idea how it opened. SO embarrassed I need to get a cover for it.

Mine jumped up on my glass top electric stove once, like you, the burner wasn't on, but it takes a long time to cool down.....lesson learned for the cat, he doesn't do it anymore.

You can put some natural vitamin E also on that part of the paw to aid healing, D-alpha NOT DL-Alpha. The first is the natural version and best. But honestly, it already looks like it's naturally healing and not infected or sore looking.

Alright thank you! Cats are so fast I think she is sleeping and next split second she is right behind me. I checked her paws after she done it and she wasn't limping or anything, it looks rather sore now though although she doesn't seem to be in any pain when I touch it.

I think that sore look is just because it's scabbing over.

I would not expect her to limp because of it. Her paw is not injured.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Hope Molly's paw is better today. Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Hope Molly's paw is better today. Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.
    You should also train Molly to never jump on the stove.

That's easier said than done Catmom. I've caught my Toby and Priss on the counter after I put dishes in the sink (I don't have a dishwasher) so I've tried several things to discourage them but it still happens sometimes. Cats are curious creatures after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Alpha...it's good that you thought of the stove. I have electric burners too and will put something over it while it cools down.
    Yes, that's the only time something like that happened with Loki, now he's aware and has learned and seems to approach the stove more cautiously than when he was younger. I have no problems with my cat walking on the counters, table or stove as long as they're not going after something I'm preparing for us or a meal that we are eating, my boy's pretty good about leaving our things alone.

There's a little section of counter next to the stove that I keep paper bill receipts and stuff in, and sometimes he likes to curl up and lay in there, so often he's walk across the stove to do it. Also, when we're camping in our tiny camper, we have a 3 burner gas stove that he navigates very well. If we're cooking things on the stove he leaves it alone, at night if we have one burner on low to warm the camper, he might walk around it, never had a problem with his getting burned. He's allowed on all the counter space (very little) in the camper, unless our food is up there.

Just like we do, our pets learn from life's little lessons and it makes them safer in the long run.

Yes, that's the only time something like that happened with Loki, now he's aware and has learned and seems to approach the stove more cautiously than when he was younger. I have no problems with my cat walking on the counters, table or stove as long as they're not going after something I'm preparing for us or a meal that we are eating, my boy's pretty good about leaving our things alone.

There's a little section of counter next to the stove that I keep paper bill receipts and stuff in, and sometimes he likes to curl up and lay in there, so often he's walk across the stove to do it. Also, when we're camping in our tiny camper, we have a 3 burner gas stove that he navigates very well. If we're cooking things on the stove he leaves it alone, at night if we have one burner on low to warm the camper, he might walk around it, never had a problem with his getting burned. He's allowed on all the counter space (very little) in the camper, unless our food is up there.

Just like we do, our pets learn from life's little lessons and it makes them safer in the long run.
    I am fine with Daisy being anywhere to the right of the sink, where Mom puts her purses, mail, etc. and on most of the bar counter. But sometimes she tries to get on the wrong side, where we dirty dishes, and for safety reasons I do not want her there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.