Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sato. Newly arrived from Puerto Rico

Sato. Newly arrived from Puerto Rico

Howdy Folks:

A Sato is a street dog of Puerto Rico. After Hurricane Maria many dogs who were not previously street dogs were running loose. Some were raised and loved in their homes, but, left behind when their owners decided to come to the U.S. mainland. Some 2500 dogs were rounded up and brought to the mainland and placed in shelters all over the U.S. We are fostering to adopt a black 25 pound 2 year old female of unknown parentage. From her actions coming home the first day we determined she was a couch potato dog. As the days have progressed she is more like a potato chip dog that had slipped between the couch cushions. The shelter had named her Maria which she did not respond to so I changed her name to Chika, which she does not answer to either. So now we call her ChikaMaria. Perhaps if I learned to speak Spanish...

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Welcome to the forum! And if you celebrate, Merry Christmas.

First of all, thank you for rescuing a street dog. Anything you can do to help abandoned animals who were left homeless in the storm is wonderful because so many furry victims are forgotten in those situations.

Even if your new furkid (there is no such thing as a dog "owner" IMO) does not respond to her name right away, it could still be a good one for her. She might be too scared to come when called or not know how. Two-syllable names are easier for a dog to remember, although I did have a cat named Patricia who responded to hers. I am sure other people will have some grrreat dog name ideas if you post a picture and give us some more details about her personality.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

My heart goes out to the people and animals of Puerto Rico; and it's so wonderful that you are fostering a dog from there
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Welcome Ward, Mary and ChicaMaria, very good of you to foster a needy dog from Puerto Rico.

Follow up on ChikaMaria

Quote Originally Posted by ChikaMaria View Post
    Howdy Folks:

A Sato is a street dog of Puerto Rico. After Hurricane Maria many dogs who were not previously street dogs were running loose. Some were raised and loved in their homes, but, left behind when their owners decided to come to the U.S. mainland. Some 2500 dogs were rounded up and brought to the mainland and placed in shelters all over the U.S. We are fostering to adopt a black 25 pound 2 year old female of unknown parentage. From her actions coming home the first day we determined she was a couch potato dog. As the days have progressed she is more like a potato chip dog that had slipped between the couch cushions. The shelter had named her Maria which she did not respond to so I changed her name to Chika, which she does not answer to either. So now we call her ChikaMaria. Perhaps if I learned to speak Spanish...

ChikaMaria is taking Doxycyline in preparation for heart worm injections so we are limiting her exercise to walking on a leash. She is house trained with only two accidents in the week we have had her. She has shown increased trust in my wife and I. She will not willing get into the car for a ride if my wife is not in the car also. She follows my wife from room to room not wanting to be by herself. Today we put her in a shopping basket and pushed her around in a store that is pet friendly and she did well. She is also showing signs of wanting to play for short periods of time. Loves to cuddle.

Awww, Chika is a sweet dog. She apparently prefers your wife (which is okay).

She sounds so sweet and it's great that she loves to cuddle.

It sounds like Chika is doing very nicely!

ChikaMaria moved right into our home. It was as if she had lived here all her life. At midnight she has the habit of coming into the bedroom at a full run and jumping on top of me. Let's play daddy! While she is out behind the house taking care of business i hide treats all over the house. That keeps her busy enough that I can fall back to sleep. My wife and I fell in love with her right away and she loves attention. God Bless, Ward and Mary.

In about two weeks ChikaMaria will get her final treatments for active heart worms. When she is tested clear her status will change from "Foster" to "Adopted". I have suggested to Mary that ChikaMaria needs a play mate to keep her company and I was met with a lifted eyebrow from my wife. We shall see. God Bless, ChikaMaria's adopting family.

Have you checked out the dog forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ChikaMaria View Post
    In about two weeks ChikaMaria will get her final treatments for active heart worms. When she is tested clear her status will change from "Foster" to "Adopted". I have suggested to Mary that ChikaMaria needs a play mate to keep her company and I was met with a lifted eyebrow from my wife. We shall see. God Bless, ChikaMaria's adopting family.
    I hope she tests clear of heartworms. I like your idea of a playmate for Chika, but only if equally welcome by your wife. Try to lower that eyebrow, in time I think you'll succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I hope she tests clear of heartworms. I like your idea of a playmate for Chika, but only if equally welcome by your wife. Try to lower that eyebrow, in time I think you'll succeed.
    LOL Hopefully! I would not count on it so soon after making Chiko's adoption official. Too much change at the same time is asking for more stress.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 01-24-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Welcome to the forum

I believe in the saying "the more the merrier" so having a playmate would be awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.