Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Applying spot on

Applying spot on

So every time I put Molly's monthly spot on flea stuff (Stronghold) it goes all over her fur, I find it hard to part the hair and see because her skin is the same colour as her fur! When the Vet has done it there is never any product on her fur. Does this happen to other people?

I am worried that she isn't getting protected properly because some of it is going on her fur.

stronghold.jpg

People don't separate the fur. Are the drops clear? It might be because she has a white neck.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    People don't separate the fur. Are the drops clear? It might be because she has a white neck.
    Yes it is clear liquid, I meant making a parting in the fur.

Hi Eleora- It is extremely important to part/separate the fur as shown in the instructions, in the location between the shoulder blades, and to minimize any spread of the insecticide. The insecticide must have contact with the skin, or it will not work. More importantly, spot on products are NOT supposed to be ingested. If the cat or dog ingests a certain amount, it can kill them. That is why you see many people yelling on the internet, " ________ killed my cat/dog!" I am always extremely careful when applying this (in my case Frontline Plus for dogs), so that my dogs do not have a chance to lick it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    That is why you see many people yelling on the internet, " ________ killed my cat/dog!" I am always extremely careful when applying this (in my case Frontline Plus for dogs), so that my dogs do not have a chance to lick it anywhere.
    WHAT!! O_O Maybe I should apply it slower and in dots? Thankfully she cant lick the back of her head its dry now so going to comb it out then wipe the fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    WHAT!! O_O Maybe I should apply it slower and in dots? Thankfully she cant lick the back of her head its dry now so going to comb it out then wipe the fur.
    That is why instructions are to apply it between the shoulder blades. It is the only area cats can't reach with their tongues.

It doesn't say anything about death by licking in the instructions and my Vet never warned me about it all it says is this,

It is important to apply the dose as indicated to minimize the quantity that the animal can lick off. If significant licking does occur, a brief period of hypersalivation may rarely be observed in cats.

How do people do it without the fur becoming wet? I tried everything. (I think)

It is important to apply the dose as indicated to minimize the quantity that the animal can lick off. If significant licking does occur, a brief period of hypersalivation may rarely be observed in cats.

This is how marketers and lawyers say, "We have legally warned you. This product can kill your pet."

The "period of hypersalivation" is "brief" because the pet is dead after that.

Maybe I would be better to get her an injection every 6 months.

I've used Advantage II for my cats and have separated the fur before applying. Here is that part of their directions I copied from their website:
    5. Part the hair on the neck at the base of the skull until the skin is visible. Place the tip of the tube on the skin and squeeze the tube to expel the entire contents directly on the skin. Do not get this product in your cat’s eyes, or allow your cat to ingest this product. The product is bitter tasting and salivation may occur for a short time if the cat licks the product immediately after treatment. Treatment at the base of the skull will minimize the opportunity for the cat to lick the product. Do not allow the product to run off.

Hope that helps.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Does Molly go outside? Although mine are indoor only I had trouble with fleas and it was absolutely horrible to deal with.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

No she is an indoor cat. I think that I might have figured out the problem I have been applying it in a line along the parting rather then in one spot. My instructions don't say however I found an online one and says to do it in one spot :/ Would have been better if the Vet showed me rather then tell me how to do it. I can be so flipping stupid at times.

Page 6 http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/...C500068671.pdf

Maybe I would be better to get her an injection every 6 months.
    No, applying drops is safe as long as you do it correctly. Pets lick it off because their parents don't follow the instructions.

No she is an indoor cat. I think that I might have figured out the problem I have been applying it in a line along the parting rather then in one spot. My instructions don't say however I found an online one and says to do it in one spot :/ Would have been better if the Vet showed me rather then tell me how to do it. I can be so flipping stupid at times.
    You are not using a veterinarian-recommended brand. I would be surprised if Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution don't have more detailed instructions. The vet or a technician should have shown you how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    You are not using a veterinarian-recommended brand. I would be surprised if Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution don't have more detailed instructions. The vet or a technician should have shown you how to do it.
    I get it from my Vet Its a prescription only product and it gets posted to me every three months. Its called Stronghold. The instructions I have say to part the hair and apply the product :/ Anyway I need to take her to the Nurse for nail clipping and to ask about brushing teeth I have 12 free consults per year with the package I bought so may as well use some. Just waiting on this stupid flu I got to subside. That is 4 Christmas's in a row I had flu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.