Should I get another cat?

Should I get another cat?

I am thinking of getting another cat or kitten. I already have a 4 year old Siamese mix. I got her from the shelter when she was about 10 months old and she lived with my roommates cat for about a year and at first they didn't get along but after a few weeks they were best friends and played and cuddled and groomed together. Then I moved and she has lived alone for the past 2 years. Whenever she is around other cats for a few days they do not get along. My question is if I got another cat would they eventually warm up to each other like she did with my roommates cat or has she lived on her own too long? And if she would warm up would it be better for me to get another adult cat or a kitten? I do not want to get a new cat if it is going to make my current bundle of joy unhappy.

cats like their own kind to play with, I would suggest getting the opposite sex, makes for an easier transition. I recently got a new kitten and I have two adult cats, when I get a new kitten or cat I put it in a large wire dog crate, put in a bed, food and litter box. This way the cats can see each other, get used to their scent and get the growling and hissing overwith. In a couple of days you can start taking the new cat out and see how things go, leave the crate door open, your resident cat will go in and check things out, which is fine, it only takes a few days usually for the cats to get used to each other. Once the big cats were ok with the kitten I'd leave her out all day and put her in the crate at night, just in case, but that only lasted about a week, now she has free run of the house and everyone gets along.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for choosing adoption over buying a kitten and asking us to help you make a life-changing decision.

Linda also wondered if a new kitten would get along with a Siamese, but her situation is different. I do not think it is better to have a boy and girl than two girls as a rule; what you want to avoid are two dominant cats. I used to have a cat who loved the other girl, but let the boy know she did not like him when he came near her. The opposite can happen in other homes. It depends on the cats involved. Age is also important because the older cat may be unwilling to play with a kitten. This happens if the older cat is much lazier than the new one.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Hello and welcome! I don't think anyone can really know if their cat will get along with a new cat until they're living together for awhile. If I was in your situation, I'd get a kitten of the opposite sex, one that was young enough so the Siamese wouldn't feel threatened. If you do add another cat to your family, be sure to give plenty of attention and love to your Siamese, to avoid feelings of jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Hello and welcome! I don't think anyone can really know if their cat will get along with a new cat until they're living together for awhile. If I was in your situation, I'd get a kitten of the opposite sex, one that was young enough so the Siamese wouldn't feel threatened. If you do add another cat to your family, be sure to give plenty of attention and love to your Siamese, to avoid feelings of jealousy.
    This is the key to building good relationships. Cats do get jealous. Buy a pack of toys in different colors so they each have the same thing so they don't create new issues during the introduction process.

Do not hesitate to ask us any more questions about adopting a cat or kitten. Good luck!
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.