Goldfish and Swim Bladder

Goldfish and Swim Bladder

So I'm having a problem with my goldfish's swim bladder. He's a calico goldfish, almost four years old, and lives in a clean 20 gal tank with a heater set to 72. He didn't have any swim bladder problems until recently, and he's been acting weird. He was doing some swimming upside down, so I tried some home remedies, like feeding him a pea and fasting him.

Both remedies worked, but I knew neither were long-term solutions, so I went to my local Petco and asked for some advice. He'd always been fed fish flakes (the floating kind) so I was told maybe he was inhaling too much air or eating too much, so I switched him to some sinking fish pellets. I also put him on Herbal Actives Artemiss, which is a natural expelling for bacterial diseases, which I was told could help with his swim bladder problems.

Fast forward to now, a little over two weeks since I started the treatment (which only lasted 10 days, so now it's been over for a while). He doesn't seem sick, but he's sleeping up at the surface a lot when prior he usually slept in some of the plants on the gravel. He's swimming a little closer to the heater too.

He doesn't seem off otherwise, if I go near the tank he'll stir and swim around a lot or if I feed him he'll instantly jump into action (which he doesn't let them sink, so the purpose of the sinking pellets seems a little pointless in my case). He doesn't seem to be swimming upside down, usually in a normal position, with his back out of the water and he'll reposition himself if he wants to breathe, then goes back to that position. He'll just kinda float around the tank. Any advice on this issue? Thanks so much!

Hannah

We have goldfish but my hubby takes care of the tanks and them. Daily he soaks their food (no flakes but pellets) in a small container (that's only used for them) until the pellets sink to the bottom of the container. This gets rid of air bubbles in the food. Try doing this and that should help. Please keep us posted. BTW WELCOME
    “Save a life and save a stray”

It sounds like the fish is still suffering. They don't usually sit at the top like that unless sick or scared. Sometimes staying up there is a way to stay away from tankmates, since healthy fish tend to pick on tankmates who are not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    It sounds like the fish is still suffering. They don't usually sit at the top like that unless sick or scared. Sometimes staying up there is a way to stay away from tankmates, since healthy fish tend to pick on tankmates who are not healthy.
    I don’t have any other fish in the tank. He’s the only one, since I had two goldfish in the tank in the past and it was too cramped

Goldfish are very cute. but I not't have one. (I like this fish)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.