dry eye diagnosis

dry eye diagnosis

Has anyone had experience with dry eye? I'm finding it extremely difficult to treat because I can't afford the medicines prescribed.

Dee

you need medication to stimulate the eye to make tears. I'd be careful about over the counter meds, the eyes are nothing to experiment on, you need to get the meds he needs before his eyes are beyond help.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I took him to the vet and followed her directions explicitly, returned the next week, at which time she changed his meds because he was not responding. By the 3rd visit, he was completely blind, both eyes. I'm still using the same meds although I see no reason to attempt to restore his tear ducts to a normal production because we tried and it couldn't be done. Now, I am faced with trying to keep him comfortable, keep down irritation that causes pain and keep down inflammation. There surely should be a way that doesn't cost over $100 per month. You are right, saving his sight was worth it---now, what am I doing or accomplishing? My vet is making lots of money and he has the exact same symptoms he had when I took him in the first time. I got a second opinion---same.

I don't know much about dry eye in dogs, but it does seem that the medicine your vet is giving hasn't done any good, almost seems like it's done harm. Can a simple saline eye drop solution applied several times a day help with discomfort and irritation? This is what I've used on my dog in the past for irritation from hairs in the eye from grooming or weed particles and debris from running loose in the outdoors. I bought it at a local pet store, but it's also available online.

Ingredients are Boric Acid, Filtered Water, Sodium Borate and Sodium Chloride.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.