Two Strange Issues

Two Strange Issues

There are two separate issues happening to my dog. Itís the weekend and Iím unable to bring her to the vet, so I thought Iíd post here to see if anyone has any advice or ideas in the meantime. She is a Labrador retriever, spayed, and is 1 year and 4 months old.

The first issue is regarding a bump that has appeared above my labís paw. I just noticed this tonight. Iím assuming itís painful because when I tried to touch it she jerks her paw away. I have no idea what this could be.

The second issue is that my dog has licked her lower belly and genital area until she is raw. I believe it could be a rash because I saw some splotches, but her genital area tonight is yellowish looking. She started licking yesterday and it wasnít that bad (I assumed allergies), and today itís pretty bad. Iím not sure what I can do about it until I can get to the vet. I put neosporin on it and a large bandage and it looks a tad bit better, but I only applied it on her belly.

She does have skin allergies. I give her a dose of childrenís liquid Benadryl (as advised by my vet) when she starts scratching a lot. I gave her a dose yesterday and today, but Iím not sure that it has helped any. I also put her sweater on to prevent her from licking as much which has seemed to work a little bit since she canít move as freely. I havenít put a cone in her because she always gets it off. I ordered an inflatable collar to use, but it wonít be in until Monday.

Hi Alyssa- Sorry, I haven't had any experience with these two symptoms. I would only mention that I give all five of my dogs 500 mg of Ester-C (WITHOUT bioflavonoids) every day to boost overall immunity, cutting the tablets in half (from the side, using a plain pen knife) and giving one half (250 mg) with breakfast and the same with dinner. This has helped minimize the occasional incident of eye infection or diarrhea. It also protects my oldest dog Boise who is otherwise prone to urinary tract infections. Here is a link to the Ester-C that the dogs (and I) have used for many years.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/American-He...gie-Tabs/11370

I also give everyone in the pack cooked vegetables with their dinner each night (chopped carrots, green bell peppers, broccoli, and napa cabbage), and frequently some homemade live sauerkraut made with fresh dill. I'm convinced that all of these have overall, holistic benefits on their health.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 01-07-2018 at 03:55 AM.

when a dog licks or scratches or has ear infections its a pretty good indication of allergies. First thing is what are you feeding her. She should be on a grain free diet or raw. Food allergy is usually to either corn or wheat or both so make sure that is not in her food.

If its envriomental that is more tricky, it could be anything and the only way to know for sure is to take her to a dermatologist for skin scrapings to find out what it is she is allergic to. Under no circumstances let the vet give her a shot of cyclopoint. You can read here on the forum some of the problems people are having with giving this drug.

In the meantime until you can get her to a vet get some unscented baby wipes, wipe her paws, face and belly with them each time she comes inside, this will take off as much of the allergin as you can get

Bathe with malased shampoo, resicourt conditioner, do not rinse the conditioner out, leave it on, hydroxazine, (prescription strength benadryl)

I don't know what the bump is, that will need to be seen by a vet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Until you see a vet I would try applying coconut oil to the affected areas. I replied to the thread about the benefits of coconut oil and you could check it out further. I hope this helps.

I agree that the coconut oil will soothe and can't hurt. But you really should see a vet to know what's going on. Look at that bump by the paw for a tiny pinhole opening, you'll need a magnifying glass to really see. If there's an opening there probably is something inside there causing pain and could lead to infection if not removed.

My Answer of your first question is- I think your dog is suffering from Skin allergies. It is a sign of skin infection. I prefer to you use Coconut Oil for your dog.
    I gave you some List of Home Treatment Options and Helpful Hints :-

• 1. Try Sulfodene treatments.
    • 2.Give baths with a gentle or medicated shampoo.
    • 3. Apply a medicated spray.

is the dog spayed? If not it could be vaginitis, very common in unspayed females
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

This is probably an anal gland infection if your dog's anus is black. Dogs can get infections in their glands very easily, especially if they have not been cleaning themselves properly. An anal gland infection is an infection that may have started externally but this is now an internal issue and can not be solved simply by cleaning the dogs anus.
    Visit A Vet :-
    If you visit the vet, they will be able to have a look at the dog and most probably give antibiotics to clear up the infection.
    Importance of seeking medical advice :-
    Do not keep your dog at home and hope that everything will be okay, these infections can be very painful for your dog. You should get medical help for them so that they are not in pain and discomfort for too long.
    Dogs and other animals can not tell you when they are in pain and for this reason you should take them to be looked after by a professional as soon as you can. This will help to find out what the problem is and also the vet will be able to prescribe any medication that may be needed.
    You can also Follow on :-
    http://www.animalemergencyservice.com.au

So I wanted to give a little update on this. I did go to the vet, but after I had applied coconut oil on her skin and kept giving benadryl the issue with her belly went away by the time I got there. However, I still told them about it but they didn't seem concerned. I had suspected that she maybe had a bladder infection, but I didn't notice any other signs of it. They prescribed her prednisone for the bump - 2 pills twice daily for 3 days, 1 pill twice daily for 3 days, and then 1 pill daily until gone. After about 4 days on it, the bump is now better - minus the missing hair. However, I noticed that she was acting kind of strange the day before yesterday. She wasn't doing much of anything, still eating and drinking plenty of water, but just not being herself. Yesterday it was much worse. She was drinking multiple bowls of water, not interested in playing or eating treats, just sleeping under my bed and shaking really bad. She usually loves to take baths, so my husband tried to bathe her and she was not interested at all. He bathed her anyway, she walked around a little bit, and about 10 minutes later she peed on herself in our hallway. I immediately called the vet because she has not had a single accident since she was being housetrained, and also after she takes a bath she is usually very excitable and playful, so it felt like something was not right. The vet tech spoke to the vet and said to bring her in this morning and stop giving the prednisone. I went first thing this morning, and she was shaking very badly both at home and the vet's office. The same vet who examined her last time took her temp (102), listened to her heart, and felt around on her and said he thought she had a bladder infection. He prescribed her an antibiotic and said to continue the prednisone. I am unsure about continuing the prednisone. I hate to not trust the vet, but this is the first time she's ever taken it and I have a gut feeling that the symptoms she is having are related to the prednisone. I didn't give it to her last night or this morning as directed by the vet, and she already seemed like she was doing a little better. I skipped tonight also and she was playing a little more than she was yesterday. I feel like she's having a bad reaction to it and I just wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were on this. I've also heard that if you have an infection (even humans) that steroids can make it worse since it weakens your immune system. If she already had the bladder infection like I had originally suspected, would it be possible that the prednisone worsened the infection? I am giving her the antibiotics as directed.. I was just unsure about the steroids. There are two vets at the office we go to (husband and wife), we usually see the wife since the husband mostly does surgeries. She saw the husband the last 2 appointments - today and the one where she had been prescribed the steroids. I'm not sure what to do for her besides just give her the antibiotics or if I should give her the prednisone again. She seems like she's in better spirits tonight but she is still shivering.

Also wanted to add: yes she is spayed, and she eats this food - https://www.chewy.com/diamond-natura...adult/dp/44933

pred is a steroid which weakens the immune system which might compromise the immune system. If its just an infection and is being treated with anti biotics I see no need to give her pred. But I will suggest you give her a probiotic daily. The anti biotic is killing the bacteria but also the good bacteria in her gut and a dog's health originates in the gut. I suggest you give her a probiotic daily even if she is not on anti biotics. Have you tried colloidal silver? I'm sure your vet has not recommended this but silver is a natural anti biotic without the side effects of the anti biotic. When you get a chance read this article, you might want to consider keeping some on hand

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...loidal-silver/

You can also check out this video on collodial silver by a vet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SdyAlRJlY

Diamond dog food is not a bad brand but it has had several recalls

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    pred is a steroid which weakens the immune system which might compromise the immune system. If its just an infection and is being treated with anti biotics I see no need to give her pred. But I will suggest you give her a probiotic daily. The anti biotic is killing the bacteria but also the good bacteria in her gut and a dog's health originates in the gut. I suggest you give her a probiotic daily even if she is not on anti biotics. Have you tried colloidal silver? I'm sure your vet has not recommended this but silver is a natural anti biotic without the side effects of the anti biotic. When you get a chance read this article, you might want to consider keeping some on hand

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...loidal-silver/

You can also check out this video on collodial silver by a vet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9SdyAlRJlY

Diamond dog food is not a bad brand but it has had several recalls
    I never thought about using silver. My grandma makes it so I can get some from her. Also, is there a better brand of food you would recommend? I have looked before but I’m never sure what would be best for her. I have always used diamond because that’s what the breeder used. I will work on getting her a probiotic as well.

The best of the best food is Orajin, next is fromm. I feed raw and have for years but I do keep a bowl of dry food out in case she gets hungry, she likes the fromm pork and applesauce.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.