Hello, thank you, and what brought me here

Red face Hello, thank you, and what brought me here

Thank you for the add, and hope you are all having a great Monday! What brought me here is that I have a 2 year old GSD, male, and I recently started dating someone a couple months ago, and he has a dog as well. She is Australian Shepherd/husky and beautiful. Anyways, Mr. Maxwell believes she is beautiful too, and everytime I try to bring him over to my BF's house, or if he tries to bring Zoey over to my house, my dog literally tries to do nothing but hump her. He won't let he move, walk, stand, play, anything, and then Zoey becomes assertive, and wants to correct him, then we end up with crazy barking, growling, and a few bites (nothing drawing blood). What should I do with Mr. Maxwell to correct him from trying to constantly (rape) my boyfriends dog. (Zoey is fixed, my ex didn't want Maxwell fixed, so he is in tact for now, but now that he, the ex, has gone, I am fixing the dog). I am not 100% fixing him will correct the behavior, so any training techniques or anything else I can also use, thank you so much for your time, and answers! (Yes I believe my ex's reasoning for not fixing the dog, was for him own manhood purposes, lol)

Hi LizzyDoe, welcome to the forum! I think it's a good idea to have your Mr. Maxwell neutered, but I'm glad you know that it may not have a definite affect on the mounting/humping. I had a male Standard Schnauzer that was very dominant although he was friendly to people and other dogs. He did have a humping thing going on with other dogs at the park, I'd always stop him asap when I could, sometimes the other dog would growl and he'd back off, and once he was bitten by an Akita when my husband was with him alone, not sure what provoked the bite, but I can just assume it had to do with humping.

I found that if I made the effort to predict it before it actually happened, I could stop it by calling him and telling him 'no, leave it'. If the action was already taking place, it was hard to stop it without going over and pulling him off by his collar and telling him 'no'. Eventually this training lessened his mounting and as he got older it pretty much stopped on its own.

Dogs have a way with putting each other in check for certain behaviors, whether it's a growl, bark or mild nip. Unless there was real aggression and injuries happening, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can get a spray bottle with plain water in it, and have it handy when Zoey comes over. As soon as he even looks like he's going to hump her, spray him and command him firmly "No! Leave it!", don't yell or be angry, just be strong and confident and firm. Good luck!

New Hampshire
    Having him neutered probably won't stop the behavior, now its become a habit. It is not a sexual thing, its dominance. There will be signs he's thinking about humping, the spray bottle may work but the best thing to discourage him is to let zoey handle it. She will tire of it, unless she is very submissive, and she will give him a sharp nip to toss him off of her. You can put a leash and harness on him and when he makes his move pull him sharply back, this will put him off balance which he won't like at all. Do this every time he does it, eventually he'll get the idea. But try to let zoey take care of the problem.

I've had shepherds forever and I can tell you that even a dominant female will hump. It was never really an issue because when I caught them I would grab her by the scruff of the neck and give her a good shake and say no, Didn't take long and she'd get the idea. If you are afraid he'll turn and bite you wear steel mesh gloves to handle him, This behavior has to stop and the sooner you start correcting him the better for everyone including the dogs.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

welcome to the form!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.