Puppy with tapeworms

Puppy with tapeworms

Hi my son got a 6 week old puppy yesterday.She was wormed 3 days ago with a broad spectrum wormer. It did not contain meds for tapeworms which is in her poop and crawling out of her bum . How soon can i treat her for the tapeworms since the meds for it also contains meds for the worms she was just treated for?

there is a special type of pill the vets give for tapeworm called praziquantel tapeworm comes from eating fleas or rabbits and eating rabbit poop. Are you sure they are tapeworm, tapeworm looks like grains of rice. Something coming out of her sounds more like roundworm which looks like pieces of spaghetti.

six weeks old is to young for the pup to be taken from mom, she needs to be wormed at least two more times, because if the stool sample comes back negative worm her again, not all the worm eggs are visible in a sample so to be sure you need to worm her again.

praziquantel can be given in pill form, a shot or some to sprinkle on the food.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I tried to wait til the puppy was 8 weeks but the person i got her from made me get her yesterday, yes im sure its tapeworms as my older dog had them before. I always worm them myself but the tapeworm meds i use is a 7 way wormer that kills the tapeworms and a few others so im just afraid to worm her with it since the other person just did it 3 days ago.

I don't know what state you are in but here in NH you need a health certificate from a vet and they have to be at least 8 weeks old. If you don't get a health certificate from the "breeder" they can be fined for selling or giving any dog or cat away without it. And I would not do the worming myself, you need specific meds for specific worms to clear it up plus with a puppy that young I'd be afraid it would hurt the pup if the meds or dosage wasn't right.

Even an adult dog or cat needs a health certificate to transfer ownership to someone else.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.