Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adoption vs puppy buying

Adoption vs puppy buying

I am new here. I joined so I can express some frustration with my efforts to adopt an adult (not a strict requirement) dog. Most pet sites advocate adopting a dog rather than "ordering / purchasing" a puppy. I understand and support the ethics and philosophy behind the adoption recommendation.

I would be glad to adopt any breed that badly needs a home, like any sort of short-haired mutt or Pitbull type, but I have allergies so I am restricted to certain breeds that are minimally triggering to my allergies. I have been around poodles and poodle mixes and cocker-spaniels my whole life, I am least allergic to poodle-bischon type skin and fur (dander), but I can tolerate cocker-spaniel fairly well also.

I realize that the "designer breeds" (just about anything that is a poodle mix, or bischon, or cocker-spaniel, etc) are more difficult to come by as an adult dog (or puppy) available for adoption--especially in my area--Michigan-- but I do see dogs like this listed fairly regularly.

Here is my frustration: It seems that (most ? all) shelters-organizations that list dogs for adoption (dogs that NEED ? homes) seem to make it quite difficult to actually get /acquire / adopt the dog(s) that they have listed. I am 60yrs old, my partner is 40 yrs, we are 2 adult men. I own my home on a 1 acre lot of land. I have fencing and I have had dogs at home my whole life (I am an experienced dog owner).

The dogs I have inquired about are recommended for "no young kids" homes with someone at home most of the time; that describes us exactly. But I can hardly get anyone to respond to my inquiry to their listings! I am just about ready to give up the quest to adopt a dog that NEEDS a home, and just get (buy) a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Does anyone have suggestions for me to continue my quest for adoption? --Or-- Are my requirements for a "hypo-allergenic" dog too restrictive to realistically plan on adopting an adult dog? --And-- Why are shelters , organizations, fosters, so non-responsive to my inquiries?

I hear you, I've had german shepherds forever, anyone that knows me, knows the dog could never get a better home than mine, I have personal and vets that will attest to that, yet I was turned down by German shepherd rescue because I don't have a fenced in yard. So I go to reputable breeders to get mine. I understand them being concerned where the dog will live and what kind of home you can provide but to turn down a good home for an animal in need just because of their stupid no fence policy is not in the dog's best interest.

If you want to get a pit bull or pit bull mix I can put you in touch with someone that can help you.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I don't know where you're located, but some areas have 'breed specific' shelters, where they only have one particular breed. Maybe there's a place by you like that that would be easier to adopt from? Welcome to the forum.

Michigan is a big bulldog state, you might have better luck finding a bulldog from a breeder that needs a home.

Another option for you is to go to a dog show, a lot of times breeders and handlers are looking for a home for a specific breed only because the dog isn't championship material. Nothing wrong with the dog and its been well care for, just doesn't cut it in the ring so they look to rehome it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Have you checked out this shelter? http://www.lastdaydogrescue.org/

I always advocate adoption. Have you tried volunteering at one of the shelters? That could help out the process. I would check out the website Alpha provided.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I hear you, I've had german shepherds forever, anyone that knows me, knows the dog could never get a better home than mine, I have personal and vets that will attest to that, yet I was turned down by German shepherd rescue because I don't have a fenced in yard. So I go to reputable breeders to get mine. I understand them being concerned where the dog will live and what kind of home you can provide but to turn down a good home for an animal in need just because of their stupid no fence policy is not in the dog's best interest.

If you want to get a pit bull or pit bull mix I can put you in touch with someone that can help you.
    I don't believe the fenced yard rule is stupid just because you can keep dogs contained. In fact you are lucky to find a breeder without that requirement. The problem is shelters don't know you or others in the household (with both two and four legs). What helps is getting all of your dogs from the same breeder.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

On the subject of adopting vs. buying a dog, all animals in shelters need homes. Registered AKC breeders have no dogs that "need" to live somewhere else. The only reason to get a puppy from a breeder is you need the 100% guarantee it is a hypoallergenic purebred.

I think its a stupid rule, my dogs have never been allowed to roam and run loose, I have a huge kennel they can go in if they want to go out and I'm not with them. How many dogs loose out on a good home because of this dumb ass rule? I understand a home inspection, references ect. but when you are turned down because of something so dumb don't wonder why people turn to breeders. by the way I don't care about papers, I don't show, I don't breed and they can't read and I don't have to impress anyone with a pedigree. In fact I still have Phoenix's papers that I never sent in to register her with AKC.

It is a shame many people are turned down for any reason, ev en though it is often a good one.sxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsx sxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsx

FTW Daisy says meow.

having no fence is not a good reason and breeders do sometimes have dogs looking for homes. If for whatever reason the owner can't keep the dog they give them back to the breeder and the breeder will find it a good home. Happens all the time, good breeders will always take one of their dogs back if it can't stay in its home. The breeder will carefully screen the new owner and sometimes its a returning client that lost their dog or wanted a puppy and none were available so they will take the older dog and give it a home.

You should look for a Poodle rescue shelter ,they may have poodle mix there . I got my mini poodle mix from a rescue shelter . Good for you and your partner wanted to rescue a shelter . A Poodle rescue shelter will only have poodle so you should be able to find a dog you like .

Bichon frise mutts are good too. The best dogs for people with allergies are those with curly fur. That is why the Obamas got Portugese waterdogs.

Personally, a life is still a life, regardless of whether it's from a shelter or a reputable breeder. We'll never be able to save every pup, but as long as I can give just one of them a good home, I know I'd be making all the difference in his/her life at the very least. It just sucks that some pets were abused before sent to the shelter, and it breaks my heart to see them and how anyone can be so cruel as to do anything mean to that innocent thing. Bear in mind that shelters and organizations tend to be seriously understaffed so they may not have the resources to be prompt with their replies. Best is always to drop by directly or call them.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiete View Post
    Personally, a life is still a life, regardless of whether it's from a shelter or a reputable breeder. We'll never be able to save every pup, but as long as I can give just one of them a good home, I know I'd be making all the difference in his/her life at the very least. It just sucks that some pets were abused before sent to the shelter, and it breaks my heart to see them and how anyone can be so cruel as to do anything mean to that innocent thing.
    I agree, it's so good to give any pet a good life in a loving home, when they're old and ready to 'cross the bridge', it's some consolation to know you made their time on earth the best it could be. I have no tolerance for people who abuse animals, very mean and cowardly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.