Help us understand our rescue dog.

Help us understand our rescue dog.

Bella is around 5 to 6 years old mutt my oldest son rescued from a local shelter. We could tell was abused she was always very submissive. When we first took her in we knew she was different she did not play like any other dog we every had but we gave her attention and she seemed to be fine she loved to have her belly rubbed and her ears scratched.

Something has changed she has always been shy of me and my wife as the bigger parts of her family but for the last 6 months and increasingly often when we pet her she yelps and snaps at us and just as quick as she does it she gets the reaction that i can only describe as " I am so sorry i dont know why I did that" but there are a set few times she does not react or yelp from petting.

If we rub her with our feet she will let you rub her all day and come and try and get you to do more. When I am standing she will come and put her paws on my legs and stand on her hind legs so i can pet her and scratch her ears in these cases she never yelps. She is a smart dog we can ask if she would like a belly rub and she will roll over and use her paws to push your had to her belly but now she will yelp and jump then act scared she caught my daughters finger last night so we are more concerned. Does anyone have a clue? I would think if tit was medical she would yelp under any scratching

I think it's great you rescued Bella! It could be that you or your daughter rubbed her in a rough way (not realizing it) and that triggered her response. I would go slowly and gently until she can fully trust you and know that you won't hurt her. Speaking softly to her can also help. Please keep us posted and welcome!

wouldn't hurt to have a vet check her over and rule out any medical problem. You probably should ask for a full blood panel workup, that would give them a baseline to go on if there is a problem in the future, they can go by the baseline results to see if anything has changed and what the problems could be.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I think it's great you rescued Bella! It could be that you or your daughter rubbed her in a rough way (not realizing it) and that triggered her response. I would go slowly and gently until she can fully trust you and know that you won't hurt her. Speaking softly to her can also help. Please keep us posted and welcome!
    I left out she has lived with us for over 2 years now.

Do you notice you're petting her in a certain area when she yelps, or at a certain angle? Do you think something may be causing pain when she's petted in a certain way? If so, maybe a check at the vet is in order to see what's going on. Welcome!

In light of the fact that you've had Bella for 2 years then I agree with what Linda's and Alpha's responses. Please keep us posted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.