Keeping a dog warm?!?!?!

Angry Keeping a dog warm?!?!?!

My parents have two large breed outdoor dogs and it's infuriating me and my husband that they won't bring them in the house where its warm and where they should be in the winter. They have built a makeshift shelter with hay thrown down, but that is not nearly enough! So me and my husband are taking matters into our own hands and buying them each a dog house and now we are trying to find a way to keep the inside of the dog house at least 60 degrees at all times. If we line the walls with a Mylar blanket will that be enough to reflect their own heat to keep them warm? I've been trying to find a way to keep them warm that doesn't use electricity so they don't have an excuse for not keeping them warm.
    I am a industrial engineer by trade and have even tinkered with the idea of building a small outdoor wood stove and using double-walled duct work or a solar powered fan to radiate the heat through both dog houses. I am in the process of buying a house and told my parents I would take them when we move in, but I don't know how far out that is. I would take them now, but if my landlord were to find out I had dogs me and my family would be evicted so I can't do that. I am just desperate to make sure they are well taken care of. They live 3 hours away so I can't just jump in a car and go there.

Hello and welcome. I'm so happy to hear that you and your husband are being proactive about this and going that extra mile to keep these dogs warm, you're both very kind. It's sad that your parents won't let them in the house in winter, especially at night.

What kind of dogs are they? Are they close with each other where they would use one house and lie near each other for warmth, or would they have to have separate houses. I have not made any of my dogs stay outdoors, even when I had an Alaskan Malamute, I wish your parents would reconsider. Aren't the dogs housebroken, or can't they be confined to one area of the house at least?

My husband did build a dog house onto our back porch, it has some space underneath the wood so the dog would be off of the cement and have warmth, and it's carpeted....but that was just if the dog happened to be outside for a couple of hours and some weather moved in. We live in Colorado so winters can have some frigid weeks, but again, our dogs were always inside during severe weather, and even in mild weather.

I think the mylar blanket is a good idea, but wouldn't it need some thick insulated backing to really keep the dogs warm? Here's a page with some thoughts that may help, if I think of anything that sounds like a good idea, I'll be sure to post it here. http://dogsaholic.com/lifestyle/cold...dog-house.html

Keeping your dog warm is very important in the winter.

It is great that you want to help these dogs out and this link from Alpha offers good solutions. It's cruel to keep dogs outside in the cold.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.