Rats vs. Hamsters: Which are better for college life?

Rats vs. Hamsters: Which are better for college life?

Hi! I'm currently a student at university and next year I'll be moving into a pet friendly apartment. Since I've moved and started living on campus, I've really missed having a pet around. I grew up with cats and dogs and this is the first time in my life that I'm without them. I really want a pet to help with anxiety, relieve stress, and give me something else to focus on other than school. Two that I've settled on are rats and hamsters. I'm having trouble deciding which one I should get. What I want is a pet that will let me pet them on a daily basis while I'm on my computer, doing homework, or just laying in bed. Most of my free time is in the evening. I have the space for either and my roommate is fine with either. I'm interested in hamsters because they are the cheaper of the two, but not interested in them because they seem more like "viewing" types of pets. I'm interested in rats because they are affectionate, but not interested because of the numerous health issues that arise with them. I'm sorry for this post being so long. I would really appreciate some advice from people who have owned either or both. Thank you so much.

I had many hooded rats as pets when growing up. Rats are friendly, intelligent, level headed and clean. I've not had hamsters, but I've heard they can be somewhat hyper, and a little "nippy".

The rats I had never had health problems, I think their life span isn't much more than a couple years; not sure about hamsters.

I am not a rodent lover so I say get a cat. A cat will snuggle with you and be great company for you. Of course the choice is yours but think about getting a cat, shelters are full of cats that need a home.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I am not a rodent lover so I say get a cat. A cat will snuggle with you and be great company for you. Of course the choice is yours but think about getting a cat, shelters are full of cats that need a home.
    I considered a cat at first, but the thing is that once I graduate college I'll be joining the military. I wouldn't be able to take a cat with me and would hate to burden my family with having to care for it while I was away. Plus, I don't think the cat would appreciate being "abandoned" by me. This is the main reason I am considering rats or a hamster, because they are short lived pets. Regardless, thank you for the advice!

Thank you for your advice! I've just heard of rats' health suddenly deteriorating and suddenly racking up quite the vet bill, so I was concerned about that. But I'm glad to hear that some are fortunate enough to avoid that!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.