Daisy's vet appointment

Daisy's vet appointment

This morning (1/19) I took Daisy in for her annual wellness exam. Getting her in the carrier was difficult because she went under Mom's queen size bed and into the box spring, which has no fabric on the bottom. She meowed loudly in it at home, but was quiet in the car. When we arrived, she yelled nonstop in the waiting room for several minutes. I am sure seeing another cat and two dogs did not help.

After being taken to an exam room, I opened the top door of her soft carrier and saw poop turds. That was the first time one of my cats pooped in a carrier. I told a technician about it when he came in. He said it was just stress, adding it was a good thing she did because they could see it was not diarrhea and get a stool sample. After weighing Daisy and taking her ear temperature, he recommended using the Feliway spray or wipes on the carrier and whenever she gets scared, explaining how it works with pheremones. When the carrier was cleaned out, Feliway wipes were used on it. I got two wipes at the end.

Daisy weighs 7 pounds, 12.5 ounces. Her ear temperature is 100.2 (which the VT said is perfect). The vet said her claws are perfect and do not need to be trimmed for nail health because she is a young active cat and they're healthy. I told him Daisy scratches me, so he clipped them anyway. Asked why it is important for other cats to get their claws clipped regularly, the vet explained cats over 10 years old are too lazy or not interested, so they don't scratch things. This is a relief because last year he said Daisy needs pedicures every 6-8 weeks when she was a kitten. As expected, they also liked the poop Daisy accidentally provided. She also got both the FVRCP and rabies shots.

The last thing we discussed was her diet. The vet told me to keep feeding her whatever she is eating now because it is not causing any problems. I told him she got tired of Blue Freedom chicken. He chalked it up as just being a picky eater. Now here is the only thing I did not like hearing him say all morning: "It does not have to be grain-free. Cats can digest grains." Ugh. Why does the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine still teach this crap? He did not say grains are beneficial for cats, but I doubt they are highly digestible.

When another VT came in to give me the invoice and rabies certificate (with a tag attached), she said the law changed recently to give each cat and dog a permanent number so all pet parents have to do is pay $10 per year online. Of course that does not change the option for a three-year vaccine, so I asked her if the same rule applies for that one. She said the three-year shot carries a higher risk of vaccination-associated sarcomas, so they always give patients a one-year shot. I never heard this before, but was not surprised.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

not true, they give the same size vaccine whether the pet weighs 7 pounds or 20. Same goes for dogs, someone with a small dog will get the same strength of vaccine as a big dog.

Its your cat so its up to you but I only give the distemper shot after the core vaccines. The first rabies shot is the one year, after that its a three year shot and I only do that because its law. Rabies is the most powerful shot they give so if there is a reaction its usually to that one.

In vet school they only get one class in nutrition so I don't listen to what they say, after all they keep pushing science diet, one of the worst foods out there
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Not true, they give the same size vaccine whether the pet weighs 7 pounds or 20. Same goes for dogs, someone with a small dog will get the same strength of vaccine as a big dog.

It's your cat so its up to you but I only give the distemper shot after the core vaccines. The first rabies shot is the one year, after that its a three year shot and I only do that because its law. Rabies is the most powerful shot they give so if there is a reaction its usually to that one.

In vet school they only get one class in nutrition so I don't listen to what they say. After all they keep pushing science diet, one of the worst foods out there.
    I did not say anything about the pet's size affecting rabies vaccine risk. Apparently at this practice, every cat and dog gets the one-year shot. I just thought the vaccine must be a bigger size for three years if longer lasting equals higher VAS risk than the one-year shot. Otherwise, why would the three-year shot be more dangerous? In all the years I had cats getting rabies shots (Ohio also requires it), I could never remember if one is better than the other despite having multiple conversations about it.

One more thing: What is the purpose of getting a rabies tag with no collar to put it on? Because of her microchip, the idea that currently vaccinated cats will wear the tag is moot. I think just the certificate would be good enough to prove Daisy is up to date on her rabies shot.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.