Scratching post ideas

Question Scratching post ideas

The triangular seagrass post is so wodrn out Daiisy scratches the carpet in front instead of the scratcher itself. (She is strctly a horizontal scratcher.) The vet told me she should have variety, including vertical posts she wuld never use.

So here are my questions before I shop for a new thing for her to scratch on that does not break the bank.

Rank your preferences: Sisal (rope), seagrass, carpet, and corrugated cardboard.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

sisal rope and seagrass, the cardboard doesn't last, she'll destroy that quickly
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

It seems everyone except one Petsmart employee thinks sisal is the most durable material out there. That lady said her cat distroyed sisal. Depends on the cat I guess.

I don't like the sisal at all, my cat isn't even an intense scratcher, but the sisal started coming apart and making a mess all over, I had to keep cutting pieces off because it always unraveled. I'd never get sisal again. The cardboard is okay, but I had two of them for him and he used them a little but quickly lost interest. The old tried and true carpet seems to be best, IMO. You can probably make your own with a small carpet remnant and some wood to attach it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I don't like the sisal at all, my cat isn't even an intense scratcher, but the sisal started coming apart and making a mess all over, I had to keep cutting pieces off because it always unraveled. I'd never get sisal again. The cardboard is okay, but I had two of them for him and he used them a little but quickly lost interest. The old tried and true carpet seems to be best, IMO. You can probably make your own with a small carpet remnant and some wood to attach it to.
    Daisy loves carpet. As a kitten, her favorite thing to scratch was a tiny machine-washable rug in the kitchen. She treated it like a toy - scratching, biting, and kicking it. (I had to cut threads off it a few times.) Later, she lost interest and started scratching carpet instead. So my question is how can i make sure Daisy knows this carpet is OK but that carpet is not?
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 01-20-2018 at 12:54 PM.

try to retrain her as if she were a small kitten, when you see her scratch the carpet pick her up, say "no, scratch here" as you put her where you can scratch.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    try to retrain her as if she were a small kitten, when you see her scratch the carpet pick her up, say "no, scratch here" as you put her where you can scratch.
    I agree, bring them to the scratching post and re-teach to scratch there. But it should be done in a positive way, not scolding. Also, if they scratch immediately on the post, they should be given a tiny treat and praised until the training is over and the new good habit is formed.

Hey Everyone,
    I'm new here. I tried looking through some threads for an answer but couldn't find anything.
    I'm looking to buy some Sisal rope (my cats love it) for a scratching post I need to re-rope.
    I'm reading that a lot of cheaper Sisal ropes are treated, and not to use them. Is this correct? Is it actually harmful?
    Some of them are crazy expensive, especially to ship to Canada. I found this one for cheap, it seems to be good. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3...000799685.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.