$800 for a dog neuter?

$800 for a dog neuter?

Hi all,

I have an 80 lbs, 12 month old chocolate lab who we are neutering soon. We were trying to wait until 12-months but he is out of control with the "hormonal" behaviors.
    We were quoted nearly $800 from a vet to do the procedure:

• Pre-anesthesia panel: $164
    • Procedural fluids: $142
    • Neuter package: $275
    • Anesthesia monitor: $100
    • Pain injection/analgesic: $50
    • Post op pain meds (Rimadyl): $42 for 10
    • Biohazard fee: $10
    • Post op laser: $17

We are in the DC area, so I understand that cost of living may be influencing this cost, but just wanted a second opinion!
    Thanks!

I think its a bit high, I have a 4 month old bengal kitten who will be spayed Mar 2 and she has a little unbilical hernia that will be repaired at the same time and I was quoted between $598-703 depending on how long it takes for the hernia repair. A female spay is usually more costly than a male neutering.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I paid a total of $252.50 for my dog's neutering, but he was 5-6 months old and only weighed 24 1/2 pounds.

Vet test 2 (Alt/Crea) = $37
    IV = $23.50
    IV fluids surgery = $22.50
    Propofol 10mg/ml per ml = $0
    Anesthesia monitoring = $6.50
    Castration = $90.50
    Laser surgery level 1 = $43.
    Cold laser Tx neuter = $11.
    Pain control group = $18.50
    Morphine sulfate 50mg/ml = $0
    Carprofen 25mg = $0

The number $800 pops off the page. I had never heard or read anywhere the pet's size and/or age can affect how expensive the surgery is. What I do know is spaying is more expensive because the vet has to go in and remove everything. Neutering is simply cutting the sacs open and squeezing the gonads out, then sewing them up. Have you looked for a shelter that offers low cost neutering to the public?
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

You should make some more phone calls $800 is way too much ! Have you checked out the reviews on the vet office to see what other people have to say about the vet bills ? There was vet office near me that was ripping of people really bad ! That office is no longer around . I found my family a low cost vet to get their cat fixed ,I know dogs cost more but I never heard of anyone paying $800 dollar !

You should make some more phone calls $800 is way too much ! Have you checked out the reviews on the vet office to see what other people have to say about the vet bills ? There was vet office near me that was ripping of people really bad ! That office is no longer around . I found my family a low cost vet to get their cat fixed ,I know dogs cost more but I never heard of anyone paying $800 dollar ! Yelp has some low cost vets for where you live .

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I had never heard or read anywhere the pet's size and/or age can affect how expensive the surgery is.
    I think it's more expensive to neuter a large dog as opposed to a small puppy because with a large dog they will need a larger incision, more stitches, more pain meds/anesthesia, etc.

http://pets.costhelper.com/spay-neuter-dog.html

This it can cost up to $300 if it a large dog . The OP should call some other vets up I still say $800 is too much .

That is way too high, I would get a second opinion.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.