Lymphoma in boxer

Lymphoma in boxer

I am distraught an heart broken my 7 year old boxer captain was diagnosed 2 days after Christmas with lymphoma.

We choose not to do chemo, but he was given pregnazone. We then researched it and began medicating him with marijuana oils and feco paste, please do not judge. We have heard how those two ingredients attack cancer cells and cancer itself.
    My question is the lymph nodes diminished but the one in his shoulder and under his chin have come back.
    He is still eating well, doing regular things, although a little more tired. Do the lymph nodes go back an forth in swelling an decreasing in size,
    Trying to remain hopefully

I lost a shepherd to lymphoma several years ago, I too opted for no chemo, she was put pred which helped for a while but they came back, five weeks from the time she was diagnosed till I had to put her down was all the time we had, I chose to put her down because the lumps in her throat and chest were so big she was strangling and I wouldn't let her suffer being unable to breathe.

Lymphoma is a very aggressive cancer and its a battle you can't win. My daughter had a bulldog with lymphome, she tried chemo, she spent 15k on treatments and he only lasted six weeks, so all she really gained was one week.

My advise having been there is to keep the dog comfortable, he will still eat and play but when the lumps become so large he has a hard time to breathe then its time to let him go. You don't want him to suffer with not being able to breathe. And the morning I put mine down she had bloated up so much during the night she could hardly walk. The night before she was fine, the next morning no one could save her, she would have died on her own in a short time and I didn't want that for her.

I know what you are going through and I am sorry for you. Cancer is the #1 killer of dogs, one third of all dogs and cats die of cancer, you are not alone.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm sorry to hear about your dog...what is his name? My cat Stella passed away from cancer Dec., 2010 and we didn't got the chemo route either. If it were available at the time I would have given her marijuana and anything else I thought may stop the cancer progressing so no judging here. I would keep your dog comfortable, give him his favorite foods and treasure each breath he takes. I always believe that staying positive and having hope are important. Please keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum Bergen, sorry to hear the sad news about your dog. I also lost two dogs to cancer, one was lymphosarcoma and chose not to put them through the pain and discomfort of chemo/radiation just to buy a few extra months.

I commend you for trying the natural alternative treatment of CBD oil/paste, you must live in a state where medical/recreational marijuana is legal, which is great. It's legal where I live now, and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of those products on myself or my pets if needed. I think the lymph nodes can swell and shrink at any given time, I'm not sure though, not an expert at all, just going by what I remember with my dogs.

The Prednisone is given by vets for many serious conditions, and the results with it are amazing in the relief department, but it doesn't really cure anything. Would be wonderful if you saw such improvement that he could be taken off the Prednisone, it's a steroid and should not be used long term. Of course in a case of cancer, you have to assure the dog's comfort. I feel for you, good luck with your boy, and please let us know if there's any improvement.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.