Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Cat's Danger Zone: Outside Your Walls by Emily May Wilcha

Lightbulb The Cat's Danger Zone: Outside Your Walls by Emily May Wilcha

That title and my pseudonym (which is based on when I got Emily and where I got Wilbur) are set in stone. So is having complete control over everything - choosing all text, images, formatting, etc. and just paying for the page binding and covers of a mostly finished product. The next step (after a self-examination) is take it to a cats-only veterinary practice for a comprehensive review of the text for accuracy. First things first, should it be a paperback, hardback, in a couple different formats, or just an e-book? I can't do the binding at home and am adamant about doing everything myself that is possible on my computer and printer/cropier. I have Apache Open Office Writer, which lets me email the documents in Microsoft Word format and export them as PDF files. That is the only program I will use and believe me, it can do everything except set a default font I like.

DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for money. or trying to sell a product on this forum. I am doing this out of love for all cats because of a hunch writing cat welfare books - at least this one, with a good chance for more - is my true calling.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 01-27-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

That's great that you wrote a book especially for the reasons you gave. I would go the ebook route since right now that's the trend. Kudos to you!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Congratulations, wonderful that you wrote a book, good luck with it! Since you want to do everything independently, I agree with Esme, and ebook probably would be the best route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    That's great that you wrote a book especially for the reasons you gave. I would go the ebook route since right now that's the trend. Kudos to you!
    Oops, apparently I was not clear that I am going to write a book.

OK, tha makes it much easier to format the pages because I don't have to shrink the sheet's size to 6x9. I am guessing it should be a PDF file.

I hope I don't make Alpha mad by focusing mostly on why cats should not have free access to the outside world.

Thank you so much for your support! My goal is to publish it on May 15, 2019 - the 25th anniversary of Emily's adoption.

BTW Wilcha comes from Wilbur and CHA (Citizens for Humane Action), the shelter I found him at.

First update: I had a brainstorm that this should not be the same book i use to write about overpopulation and declawing, which I had planned to cover a little bit as they relate to problems cats can have outside. Rather, my heart tells me I should write a second book about the feline overpopulation problem and go a much further extent on that topic than ever before. That rules out the chapters about taming feral cats, kitten birth extravaganza, and declawing.

Also, I wondered if people will understand "four walls" refers to the exterior of a rectangular house or building, not the sides of one room. By changing one letter, I would send a very different message: YOUR house/duplex/building is safer than shelters, veterinary clinics, and other catsitting options. Your is just the reader, not the reader and other people in the home. What if the reader does not have a cat yet or is in between cats? I am not so sure now if one letter in the title should be F or Y.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 01-29-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I hope I don't make Alpha mad by focusing mostly on why cats should not have free access to the outside world.
    Don't worry about me CatMom, I'm not so petty to get angry over something like that. I am glad that a lot of people keep their cats safe indoors and have nothing against it at all. When you mentioned in the title outside four walls, I thought you meant the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Don't worry about me CatMom, I'm not so petty to get angry over something like that. I am glad that a lot of people keep their cats safe indoors and have nothing against it at all. When you mentioned in the title outside four walls, I thought you meant the shelter.
    So should it be Outside YOUR Walls? I thought "four walls" implies the general idea of keeping the cat indoors despite the fact many houses are not rectangular, then realized wait a minute, there usually are four walls in each room of the house. I will come up with something totally different for a book about the feline overpopulation problem.

BTW the term "danger zone" should make it clear it has nothing to do with shelters. People use it when they talk about construction sites, crime-infested areas, etc.

I think if that's what you meant, then 'your' would be better than 'four'. I thought of 4 walls, like a prison cell or shelter....one small 'room'.

I think if that's what you meant, then 'your' would be better than 'four'. I thought of 4 walls, like a prison cell or shelter....one small 'room'.
    Thanks for the input. I will do that. It is amazing how big a difference one letter can make.

One more thing: I forgot to include "Cat's" in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will do that. It is amazing how big a difference one letter can make.

One more thing: I forgot to include "Cat's" in the thread title.
    You're welcome. If you go to your first post and click on Edit, then click on Go Advanced, you can change the title. Be sure to click on Save Changes when you're done.

You're welcome. If you go to your first post and click on Edit, then click on Go Advanced, you can change the title. Be sure to click on Save Changes when you're done.
    Thanks for next time, but I lost the Edit button. Apparently there is a timer on those things.

Anyway, the book's title will be The Cat's Danger Zone: Outside Your Walls.

Changed it for you.

Changed it for you.
    Thank you!

I just created new wish lists on Amazon to separate topics into behavior, enviornment, and health and have one just for purchased books.

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.