Cats do have a sweet tooth

Cats do have a sweet tooth

I have read cats can't taste sweets. Try telling Daisy that. I put five or six of her toys, plastic rings shaped like crowns called Cat Crazies, on my desk to play with instead of my bite-size peanut butter chocolate hearts. Not surprisingly I saw her play with the candy instead - for the second straight day. Now I have to hunt for candy like it is Easter because she took one piece away from me.

Daisy is not the first cat to do this. Patricia liked to play the cat version of backyard "throw and catch" when I ate tiny chocolate bunnies or Santas. Once she took a Hershey's kiss out of my room by the paper. And when shev got older Patricia still liked to sniff my hand after I ate a cookie. True story: I had to stop drinking chocolate milk at home because she kept getting the first lick.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I hope she just plays with it because it's a small item like a toy, because chocolate is toxic to cats just like dog if eaten. A lick of chocolate milk isn't bad, but milk chocolate, semi-sweet or baking chocolate are worst. My cat isn't drawn to sweets unless it's something like vanilla ice cream or tapioca pudding, but if I leave a Hershey kiss around, he's sure to swat it about and play with it.

I never gave any of my cats a chance to play with unwrapped candy. It was not my idea that a brown classic tabby should taste a toxic drink.

When you said sweet tooth, I thought you meant unwrapped and wrapped. I know you wouldn't knowingly give any of your cats something that was toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    When you said sweet tooth, I thought you meant unwrapped and wrapped. I know you wouldn't knowingly give any of your cats something that was toxic.
    The prompt to start this thread was Daisy wanting my chocolate instead of her real toys. She sniffed my mouth when I had something in it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.