Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why This Cat Drinks Like This?

Why This Cat Drinks Like This?

Anybody who knows why this cat drinks water like this?

It did not drink water directly through month, but its paw.
    I guess she is a lady.

I had a cat who drank that way most of her life. As a kitten she dipped her right paw in; then she stopped while recovering from a declaw surgery (I did not know better at the time) and restarted wth her left paw.

Daisy usually drinks the normal way, but after putting a toy in her water bowl, she dips a paw in several times.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I have a fountain, the siamese drinks out of the bowl but the two bengals will drink out of the top where the water bubbles down then play in the water bowl.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

That is different but I've seen my Greta do that with a bowl of water that I have on one of the bathroom floors. She seems to only drink out of that bowl for some reason. I keep a fresh bowl of water also in the upstairs spare room and 2 bowls in the kitchen. I used to have a fountain but didn't like the plastic so I got rid of it and now just use stainless steel/ceramic bowls freshened daily.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I have a fountain, the siamese drinks out of the bowl but the two bengals will drink out of the top where the water bubbles down then play in the water bowl.
    I read Bengals like water more than other cats - as in getting wet, not just drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    That is different but I've seen my Greta do that with a bowl of water that I have on one of the bathroom floors. She seems to only drink out of that bowl for some reason. I keep a fresh bowl of water also in the upstairs spare room and 2 bowls in the kitchen. I used to have a fountain but didn't like the plastic so I got rid of it and now just use stainless steel/ceramic bowls freshened daily.
    Esme, that is better than drinking from a much bigger bowl permanently installed on your bathroom floor. I have heard of cats drinking from the toilet.

my bengals do like water, if I don't keep the shower doors closed they will jump in the tub or try to join me in the shower
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You can get a stainless steel fountain. No plastic

You can get a stainless steel fountain. No plastic.
    Once I considereed getting a fountain for Patricia so we could avoid hiring a cat sitter for a three-night cruise. Every electric fountain got bad reviews, including complaints about them breaking and not working anymore. Some reviewers write they're too loud. I think Daisy would like one though because she used to drink from the bathroom faucet.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've had a fountain for years, only had to replace it once when the pump quit. You do have to change the filter about once a month

So it is not for me then because I don't want to waste time changing filters for a cat willing to drink standing water. But being Bengals, I am sure Orri and Sandy have more use for it than Daisy would.

How long did the pump last before it quit?

I googled, here is what I got from Google:
    (I guess this makes sense)

"Cats can form preferences at a young age, and so this behavior is not necessarily even related to the cat's current water set up," Delgado said. "Some cats may prefer licking their paws to drinking out of a water bowl if they don't like the shape of the water bowl. Cats are subject to ‘whisker stress' where they may not like pressure on their whiskers while they eat or drink. It could also be because the water level isn't quite what they would like it to be -- it's usually too low."

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I had a cat who drank that way most of her life. As a kitten she dipped her right paw in; then she stopped while recovering from a declaw surgery (I did not know better at the time) and restarted wth her left paw.

Daisy usually drinks the normal way, but after putting a toy in her water bowl, she dips a paw in several times.

haha, your siamese and bengals are naughty

Do we have anything to pay attention to??
    As you can see, I'm using a plastic fountain, which is app controlled.

My dog Acai would go the toilet for drinking if he can not find water in his bowl

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Esme, that is better than drinking from a much bigger bowl permanently installed on your bathroom floor. I have heard of cats drinking from the toilet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.