Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does my Boyfriends dog chase my cat??!!! URGENT

Why does my Boyfriends dog chase my cat??!!! URGENT

Every time my boyfriend comes home, his dog greets him and then immediately follows that with basically hunting for the cat. He will prance around with his ears perked, clearly searching for my cat. If he finds him, the dog chases him or pecks at him.

Thereís been a few cases where he has nipped the cat or attempted to. Another case is when my boyfriend is giving the cat attention such as holding him, his dog will sit next to him and stare at the cat like heís a meal. He looks at my cat the same way he looks at table food. Itís very odd and concerning to me.

The dog will tremble and the second my boyfriend moves with the cat or the cat goes to move, the dog immediately goes after the cat. If Iím holding the cat, however, the dog doesnít give me a second thought or look. He doesnít chase the cat when itís just me here with the two of them.

He will occasionally wag his tail and sniff the cat while heís walking but he never chases him. I think when they first started living together, the dog realized that when I have the cat around, he shouldnít mess with him. My boyfriend however from the beginning would allow his dog to ďfind the catĒ and chase him around the house.

He tells him no sometimes now to correct the problem when the dog chases the cat but it doesnít work. The dog still looks for the cat when my boyfriend gets home and still stalks the cat when my boyfriend is around. Itís like he thinks my boyfriend is trying to eat the cat so he wants to partake in the killing.
    Last edited by Ashleytr; 02-02-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Title

Welcome. It sounds like your boyfriend was encouraging the dog to find or go after the cat in the beginning, is that true? What breed is the dog and how old is he, has he ever attacked another animal in the past? Any problems with aggression?

This excited behavior seems to be centered around your boyfriend, and if that's so, he can put an end to it and calm it down. If he encouraged it at first, it will be harder to stop it now, but it's possible with calm, positive training. If he's just starting to tell him no sometimes now, then the dog is confused and getting mixed signals, IMO.

The dog thinks of it as a game, but I think it's very stressful for the cat and should be discouraged.

Thank you for your prompt response. He most certainly encouraged it in the beginning. The dog is a boarder collie and he is 3 years old. The only examples of aggression is when he was living somewhere else where there was another intact male boarder collie on the property. They didn’t get along. he’s very well trained in all other aspects. He’s just hyper and it’s like his mind is going faster than necessary.

He was trained using only commands and never had a hand laid on him. So One time I pointed my finger at him and he snapped at me but immediately knew he had done wrong and avoided me for the rest of the day. He recognizes me as “above” him but I think Sometimes he forgets or just thinks we’re on the same level. The whole “pack” thing with dogs is confusing for me because he’s my boyfriends dog and the dog knows who’s “alpha”.

He has an intimating bark as well and he runs up to people barking if he doesn’t know them but then he will jump all happily and such when they give him attention. My boyfriend thinks he’s the best dog ever. I however think that sometimes he’s unpredictable when it comes to meeting strangers, other animals, and being around my cat when I’m not around.

doesn't sound like a well trained dog to me. A well trained dog would stop whatever he's doing on command. He's been allowed to get away with it for to long now its going to be a challenge to make him stop. But the boyfriend needs training also. Something wrong with him if he encourages bad behavior. Put a leash on him when its time for the boyfriend to come home, after greeting the boyfriend when he gets in his "chase kitty" mode give a sharp tug on the leash and correct him. He needs to learn the word NO and LEAVE IT. Until the dog has training or train the boyfriend to train the dog nothing will change.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Ugh thank you!! Exactly the way i feel about it. He might be trained but heís not trained to listen the first time by any means sometimes. Since my boyfriend is the alpha of his own dog, Iím not going to be allowed to do the leash thing. He listens if my boyfriend says for him to go away or get out of the room or sit or lay down. But the dog will just stare and wait for the moment the cat moves. Again, thatís only if the boyfriend is around. The dog doesnít pay the cat ANY attention when itís just me at home. The boyfriend encouraged the behavior at the beginning (early November 2017) and has just recently been telling the dog No when he goes to chase the cat. but he refuses to actually get the dog to not stare at the cat like heís a meal only when the boyfriend is around. Which is what really bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleytr View Post
    Since my boyfriend is the alpha of his own dog, I’m not going to be allowed to do the leash thing.

The boyfriend encouraged the behavior at the beginning (early November 2017) and has just recently been telling the dog No when he goes to chase the cat. but he refuses to actually get the dog to not stare at the cat like he’s a meal only when the boyfriend is around. Which is what really bothers me.
    Well, your boyfriend isn't the Alpha of you, only his dog. If the dog is living in your home with you, then you need your boyfriend to cooperate to stop that behavior for the safety of your cat, you shouldn't need permission, you should be getting support.

Using a leash to correct and retrain for this behavior is an effective training tool. The dog needs to be controlled and corrected, in a positive way, so he knows going after the cat like that will not be tolerated...whether your boyfriend just came home or not.

His encouraging the behavior is done with, but it can be reversed with his help. Border Collies, especially those who are not neutered and intact, can be problematic with other dogs, which explains the incident the dog already had in the past. He should be fixed IMO, it might mellow him out.

You should be bothered by the whole situation, as they can't be trusted around pets like cats unless they are socialized with them and trained to get along. They have to realize that the cat is part of the family. And the fact that he snapped at you is not comforting either, to be honest.

When you're home alone with the dog, you can take an active part in socializing him with your cat. Be in the room with them in a relaxed manner, like watching TV and sitting on the floor. If you can, hold your cat on your lap and call the dog over. Firmly but calmly, order the dog to sit. If he sits right away, give him a small treat and tell him he's a good boy. You can give your cat a little treat too, and make sure the dog leaves the cat and the cat treat alone.

You can also use a squirt bottle with water in it to distract the dog if he looks like he's starting to go after the cat in an intense way. These dogs need a lot of exercise and they live to do a job. The ones I see at the park are constantly fetching a ball and intensely staring at the ball waiting for the next throw. They need physical and mental activity to stay well balanced.

A little bit about the breed. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....=border+collie

not allowed to train the dog??? My own opinion but if it were my boyfriend he'd be an x boyfriend. Boyfriends come and go you animal is with you forever.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So when itís just me and the dog and cat at home, the dog doesnít even look at the cat. He doesnít chase him, he doesnít snip at him. The most he does is walk behind the cat casually and sniff his butt. So the dog is basically trained wel around the cat if itís just me here.

The dog clearly knows the cat is mine and doesnít dare try to mess with him while itís just me here. The dog just knows Iím not his owner and therefore, some things he listens to from me and other things he doesnít.

I understand the ďjobĒ thing. And Iím assuming when my boyfriend gets home the dog has the assumption that without being asked, he should go get the cat because thatís what heís been told to do in the past.

Also when my bf even mentions the cats name or makes any kind of meowing sound (the cat comes when you meow at him or call his name) the dog immediately goes after trying to find the cat. So I guess he thinks thatís his job too and heís trying to ďhelpĒ my bf get the cat. Its scary because one day he could get too excited and hurt the cat or bite him too hard. He already snips at him and pokes him around with his nose. Itís just ONLY if the bf is around which is annoying cuz the dog listens to him over me and not the both of us equally.

This is an educating convo. Thank you for your responses. I will try to get the boyfriend to better work with his dog around the cat by himself, as I have no problems with them by myself together.

you don't have a problem with him for now, but things may escalate. And what happens if you have to go out and the boyfriend is home alone with the cat and the dog? Something doesn't sound right to me, just the fact the boyfriend encouraged the dog to chase the cat would be a red flag to me. Just a word of caution, don't jump into anything to quickly with this boyfriend, there is a sadistic side to someone that finds it amusing to torment the cat by telling the dog to get him.

I agree that the dog could have problems with me or my cat in the future. At first I guess it was cute for my boyfriend for his dog to learn what ďget the catĒ means. It just showed him that his dog is that much smarter if that makes sense. The cat doesnít really like my boyfriend and I donít think he would ever go around my boyfriend if Iím not there. We havnt had a situation like that though so I canít be certain. But Iím confident that my cat wouldnít ever ask for attention from my boyfriend. He only goes around him when Iím home and sitting close by. If weíre in different rooms, the cat stays by me. The cat also has a cat door leading up the the attic so he has a place to hide from the dog. Itís just that the dog chases him to that door every time my boyfriend is around.

Guess Iíll just have to train the dog and the bf. Lol

I hope things work out for you if that's what you want. I would tell the boyfriend if that dog kills my cat, I'm not the only one that will loose a pet that day. Its got to be a stressful situation for the cat, he shouldn't have to hide in his own home to feel safe. Someday he may meet up with a cat that won't run and could loose an eye for his chasing. Hope it never comes to that

you should listen to your cat, animals are smarter than we give them credit for and if senses something "off" with the boyfriend and doesn't like him you might be wise to listen to what he's trying to tell you

This is a very urgent problem, and I agree with what Linda said. This boyfriend needs to train more with him, considering he taught the dog to get the cat in the first place, so the dog can un-learn the trick.
    Last edited by MyDogIsAManiac; 02-25-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: add something

Thereís nothing ďoffĒ with my boyfriend. He just thought it was funny that his dog caught on to him telling him to get the cat. Obviously itís turned into a problem because the dog thinks every time my boyfriend is in the room, he needs to get the cat. The dog learned something and heís not really being trained to unlearn it or forget it.

if your boyfriend had half a brain he'd know that teaching something is easier than unteaching. And thinking it was funny to scare the cat is sadistic. Open your eyes, there is something wrong with your boyfriend and don't be surprised if you turn into his next target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.