Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why does my Boyfriends dog chase my cat??!!! URGENT

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleytr View Post
    There’s nothing “off” with my boyfriend. He just thought it was funny that his dog caught on to him telling him to get the cat. Obviously it’s turned into a problem because the dog thinks every time my boyfriend is in the room, he needs to get the cat. The dog learned something and he’s not really being trained to unlearn it or forget it.
    No need to get aggressive. All I am saying is that if you care about your cat at all, you will at least try to tell your boyfriend that he needs to be diligent in getting his dog to stop chasing the cat.

I know. I wasn’t trying to be rude. But I can assure all of you that the couple times he told his dog to get the cat, he knew the dog wasn’t gonna bite or attack the cat. He dog would only find the cat and nustle him. Obviously it’s a negative thing because he chases the cat. But this is a forum about the dog. Not how to train my boyfriend. I wanted real educated answers on how to solve the issue. Not people telling me my boyfriend is sadistic and crazy and he’s gonna turn on me because he found something funny that his dog does. There’s something wrong with the action of allowing the dog to chase the cat multiple times to where the dog has learned to go after the cat around my boyfriend but there’s nothing mentally unstable about either of them and I’d appreciate the forum stay on topic rather than going off on a tangent about an evil boyfriend.

Ashley, I think your boyfriend was being playful with his dog like some guys are, and in addition to that, I doubt that he's really a cat person either. But that's over with and as long as you both work as a team to discourage the bad habit the dog got into, and work toward redirecting the dog and stopping the automatic action, things will be back to normal and the cat can relax and the dog will learn something new.

Giving the dog a new bone or toy, and having your boyfriend tell him to go get his squeaky...where is it? In other words replace the chasing of the cat with another fun activity that is more positive....just a thought.

I know. I wasn’t trying to be rude. But I can assure all of you that the couple times he told his dog to get the cat, he knew the dog wasn’t gonna bite or attack the cat. He dog would only find the cat and nustle him. Obviously it’s a negative thing because he chases the cat. But this is a forum about the dog. Not how to train my boyfriend. I wanted real educated answers on how to solve the issue. Not people telling me my boyfriend is sadistic and crazy and he’s gonna turn on me because he found something funny that his dog does. There’s something wrong with the action of allowing the dog to chase the cat multiple times to where the dog has learned to go after the cat around my boyfriend but there’s nothing mentally unstable about either of them and I’d appreciate the forum stay on topic rather than going off on a tangent about an evil boyfriend.
    I'm sorry if I made it sound that way, I'm sure your boyfriend is nice if you keep him as your boyfriend. Like Alpha said, it would be a good idea to go make the dog get a toy or something else. Since Border Collies do have a prey instinct, and they are also very smart, one of the smartest breeds out there, this problem could arise with anyone. I hope this problem improves soon, thank you for letting me give you my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Ashley, I think your boyfriend was being playful with his dog like some guys are, and in addition to that, I doubt that he's really a cat person either. But that's over with and as long as you both work as a team to discourage the bad habit the dog got into, and work toward redirecting the dog and stopping the automatic action, things will be back to normal and the cat can relax and the dog will learn something new.

Giving the dog a new bone or toy, and having your boyfriend tell him to go get his squeaky...where is it? In other words replace the chasing of the cat with another fun activity that is more positive....just a thought.
    This is great advice and definitely worth trying!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogIsAManiac View Post
    Like Alpha said, it would be a good idea to go make the dog get a toy or something else. Since Border Collies do have a prey instinct, and they are also very smart, one of the smartest breeds out there, this problem could arise with anyone.
    True, I've never owned a Border Collie, but I've see many of them at the park over the years. They are very active and focused, they NEED a job to do to be happy, and they are also happy to please their owners.

Those dogs are often seen at the park constantly fetching a tennis ball or frisbee, they only focus on getting it and bringing it back to the owner for the next throw. They pretty much block out all the other dogs, bushes and trees, and people surrounding them. Most other dogs are walking along, sniffing things, playing with other dogs, etc.

Glad you joined the forum!

Welcome to the forum.

What are the names of the dog and cat? It can be hard to understandi who you are talking about with both pets and a human being the samse gender.

Although the two pets are different species, I think neutering the dog would help in some way. Testosterone causes a strong urge to fight.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Although the two pets are different species, I think neutering the dog would help in some way.
    Catmom, how come over and over your solution to virtually every problem on this forum is to CUT OFF SOMEONE'S BALLS? You are really coming across as a bent, man-hating individual, letting out your own relationship issues with a knife on innocent, helpless animals.

Ashleytr, don't let her near your boyfriend. She probably carries scissors with her.

Catmom, before you suggest castrating yet another one of your victims, why don't you have your OVARIES REMOVED. You know, to calm you down. See how that feels, and how it permanently changes your health. It's supposed to work WONDERS. I'm sure it will "help you in some way".

Inquiry: Help! Please! My dog has been hit by a car! He's bleeding badly!
    Catmom: Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is your dog's name, breed, and age? Have you had him neutered yet?

You don't have to take it personally. Nobody is sasying you should break up and find another man to love.

Also, it is hard for me to help without knowing the names of both pets.

Dog,. iof you have a personal issue with my forum behavior, please send me a PM. I do receive notifications.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.