Injured stray cat

Injured stray cat

We have a cat that we feed who just wondered to our yard about a year ago. He will not allow you to touch him but he will come up on the back porch to eat and drink. He is not feral, per se, he runs from people and under no circumstance will he allow you to pet him or even touch him.
    He was gone a few days. He came back injured on his left hind quarters. A wound starting high on his thigh and running all the way down his left hind leg was obvious. Again, he would not allow any attempt to look closely or doctor the wound. It has been a week and a half and he cannot walk on the leg at all. The wound itself has partially healed it appears.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can help this fur baby?

get a have a heart trap, you could probably borrow one from your local shelter, put something like tuna it in, when he goes in the door will close and you can take him to a vet from there
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Poor kitty. Can you see any swelling or signs of an infection?

Any shelter would have a humane trap for you to borrow. Put his favorite food in the back to attract him and don't leave food out anywhere else. It could take a few days for him to figure it out.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

I would set a humane trap out for this cat. Here's a website with helpful guidelines. https://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how...d-to-catch-cat
    When we trapped those 4 kittens in my backyard we used 2 humane traps that we bought at Harbor Freight Tools and they weren't expensive. Our local shelter couldn't spare any traps. Then we set fish flavored canned cat foods out in cat bowl and draped a sheet over most of it. Covering them helps the cat stay calm because at first the cat will try to get out and that's a normal reaction. Hopefully you can capture this cat and then take him immediately to a vet for treatment. They can sedate this cat and treat the wounds plus give a rabies shot and anything else he needs. Please keep us posted.

I agree, the traps are good advice, that's the only way for you to get him to the vet for medical attention, or to a N0-Kill shelter that will tend to the wounds and give the needed medications.

This poor guy probably got abused and is so afraid of people. But it's great that you care and you can do this!

The trap is a great idea. He does not appear to have infection in the wound, he licks it all the time.
    All the hair is gone around it though. He holds it up when he is walking. He may have been abused before he came to my house. He is really beautiful black and white long hair marked beautifully. Thanks for the trap idea...I will try it.
    BTW. when we had bad weather (snow) a few weeks ago, made him a shelter out of an old plastic container and put warm blankets inside. He would not go near it. I put food in it too.

don't feed him anything, just put the food in the trap and cover leaving the front part uncovered. When he's hungry he'll go in, put something really smelly like tuna fish, he won't be able to resist it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know from my experience that the trap works but like I said the cats panic and that's natural but keeping a cloth over it can minimize the fear. Do you have a 24/7 emergency vet clinic near you that you can take him for help? It's good that you have a shelter and here's a link for other shelter ideas:
    https://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how...winter-shelter
    He may go in the shelter when no one is around and that can help him feel safe. I hope at some point he can come to trust you but it takes time and patience. My hubby and I ended up keeping the feral kittens who came to our backyard and that turned out great. I have pictures of them in my album (Gidget, Lily, Priss and Toby) When we first took them into our garage they didn't like us and would hide. But we spent time sitting near them each and every day...just talking to them so they got used to our voices. Then they let us touch them, pick them up, etc. and today you would never know that they used to be wild. I hope the same experience happens to you.

He is doing so so much better! He now seeks rubbing when I go out. They definitely helped him.

That's good to hear...you're making progress

How is the cat's injured leg?
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.