Chronic bladder issues

Chronic bladder issues

My cat is having chronic bladder issues (mostly crystal and struvite buildup). When I adopted him, I was told by the adoption agency that he absolutely could not have seafood of any kind, or it would cause these issues (not UTIs, just specifically painful urination and apparently an abnormally small bladder).

At first he didn't have any issues. But slowly they developed (even without the seafood variations), so he's been to the vet regularly. We've had him on meds since to help with his urination and stress related problems.
    Here's my issue: he loves seafood and the vet has advised that we just start allowing him some seafood. She vehemently disagrees that seafood could have this sort of effect on him and insists that it's being caused by something else. Except now he has chronic crystal buildup issues.

We've changed his diet, he gets very watered down wet food twice a day and now we're rotating three different meds to try keeping it under control. But the vet insists that the seafood isn't the problem, and he's been in to see her for this about 5-6 times now, with no real solution.

I'm at a point now where I disagree with her and am contemplating taking him to a different vet, but I've been with this vet for years. Now my once healthy little boy is constantly having issues with improper/painful urination, and there have been absolutely no solutions presented to me for him that aren't just pushing more meds into his food. What should I do?

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for trying very hard to help a sick kitty.

Your gut feeling is correct. Take him to another vet. You don't have to change vets permanetly to get a second opinion. This is common practice and vets are not offended when clients decide to seek different opinions. They are understanding and know clients only want the best care for their kitties.

It would help a lot if you name specific brands and flavors because not all cat foods are created equal.- in fact, very few are the same. I always want to know the cat's name and age too.

This is the problem with vets providing nutritional advice: They don't learn much about it in school. Your vet knows the basic nutritional requirements, but for information about what seafood does to a cat, the Internet is your friend. That is not to say vets are unable to recommend appropriate diets for cats with bladder problems, of course, but you do need to be educated about it before taking your cat to another vet. Just make sure you don't take a website's information personally and assume it applies to your cat.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

I could not find any mention of seafood on websites about preventing urine crystals and/or stones. To dissolve struvites, you need to increase the pH level by making thef urine more acidic. Obviously, a vet is the best person to ask about that because if your kitty has oxalate stones, he needs a low pH and less acidic diet. Step 1 is determining what type of crystals or stones they are. Then you can start talking about wet food ingredients. But whatever you do, never buy a prescription diet or dry food!
    Keep your cats safe during the holidays. They deserve a meowy Catmas.

Has your vet told you to give the cat a cranberry supplement? Cranberries are know to ward of bladder problems. If you want real answers take the cat to a vet school or vet teaching hospital. There they will find the problem and give you answers. They are no more expensive than your regular vet and a lot of times even cheaper. The good thing about them is they won't stop looking until they give you answers. These are vet students working under highly qualified vet teachers, they have experience with problems a lot of vets don't even see.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for your reply.

Bludo is his name, going to be 2 years old this May, and I believe he's a Maine Coon mix. He's also entirely indoor, he isn't allowed outside. He was a feral kitten that was rehabbed in a shelter, he and his brother both were fearful babies (I didn't adopt his brother but heard later that his brother had worse anxiety issues of the two).
    So he does have anxiety issues that we try to manage by not making huge changes suddenly, avoiding making loud noises and having to be quite gentle when scolding him (he's still a youngin and learning the rules, but he's a smart cookie so scolding almost never happens).
    We kept him on the food the shelter was feeding him at first, which was the Blue Buffalo Wild brand, dry kibble, red meat flavor. But when the bladder issues started up, we realized there's fish oil in this kibble. So we've been transitioning him over to the science diet prescription food C/D (both wet and dry) specifically for urinary health, but so far it doesn't seem to be making a difference.
    We also use forti-flora on the wet food just to get him to eat it, he seems to prefer dry food over wet. But he also seems to have anxiety associated with urinating now, I'm assuming because of the pain with it.
    We've also gone through the efforts of fixing everything else we can - monitoring his interactions with the other house kitty to make sure there's no territorial arguing going on, we've got another litter box in a new location (making three in the house total), he has fresh water daily in 3 different places, food in 2 different places (free feeding for now until we can find the stresser that might be making it worse), we've flea bombed the house and both cats on the same day to eradicate anything that could've been hanging out, we've made the one smoker in the house start smoking outside. We're keeping the other cats food out of his reach so we can determine that that isn't a factor.
    The only info we received when we adopted Bludo was paperwork regarding the "no seafood" warning from NOAH, a different shelter in my area that we didn't actually adopt him from. The woman who worked with us also emphasized this, saying that they'd had a close call with him before because they didn't know until it was almost too late.
    All research I've done so far has argued that seafood can affect a cats urinary health, but every time I've brought it up to my vet, she adamantly disagrees. So poor Bludo is still suffering from crystal build up (official diagnosis was crystaluria/dysuria), the food changes haven't helped, and it breaks my heart whenever the buildup gets bad enough that he shuts down. He's got the greatest personality and I love him to death, I just wish I could solve this issue for him.

as far as I know the only danger associated with seafood is the mercury content. Do some research on colloidal silver. That may be the answer to your problem. By the way science diet is one of the worst foods on the market
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Can you provide links to some sites with info on why science diet is the worst? I haven't heard about anything negative pertaining to them recently. And the food is the stuff you can only buy with a vets prescription, in the vets office. Not available on retail shelves, just to make sure that was clear. Thank you.

http://petfoodtalk.com/catfoodreviews/science-diet/

Science Diet Cat Food Ratings
    Customer reviews of Science Diet cat food are mostly negative. The main criticism of Science Diet is that many veterinarians promote the food, and it’s thought that they get monetary compensation for this promotion. In general, many cat owners view Science Diet as a low-quality formula, due to the amount of corn, soy and other fillers. The ingredients in Science Diet are thought by many consumers to be low-quality. However, some people seem to still like Science Diet, and don’t report any serious problems with the formulas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.