Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do cats and dogs like each other?

Do cats and dogs like each other?

Do dogs and cats naturally like each other? Or do they have to meet when they are little and grow up together in order to be friends? I've always wondered about that....although I do know dogs sometimes chase cats.

I think if they're introduced the right way and get to know each other, they will get along. My cat was a kitten when we introduced him to our older dog, and they became great friends. After he died and we got a new puppy, they bonded too. So they don't both have to be young in order to get along. But...there are some dogs that are just aggressive with cats and other animals, so in those cases the dog can never be trusted with the cat.

Nice pics And Thank you for the info Alpha What was your old dogs name?

Thanks Yetidog, his name was Hans and he was a very well behaved, loyal and loving dog, we miss him greatly. This is his main photo album here. http://www.petforums.com/album.php?albumid=2

Thank you!

I just finished watching the Kitten Bowl and saw different scenes of kittens and puppies together. Of course they are all trained, but it emphasizes the fact cats and dogs are not necessarily enemies.

There really is not a yes or no answer to your question. Although many people say it is best to introduce a puppy and kitten, even if you have that, the dog's breed plays a role. You might have an easy time with an old toy, but that does not translate to a relatively simple introduction between hunting breed puppies and kittens. So IMO it is safer to adopt the kitten first if possible because tis temperament will affect which dog would be a good friend for it.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I just finished watching the Kitten Bowl and saw different scenes of kittens and puppies together. Of course they are all trained, but it emphasizes the fact cats and dogs are not necessarily enemies.

There really is not a yes or no answer to your question. Although many people say it is best to introduce a puppy and kitten, even if you have that, the dog's breed plays a role. You might have an easy time with an old toy, but that does not translate to a relatively simple introduction between hunting breed puppies and kittens. So IMO it is safer to adopt the kitten first if possible because tis temperament will affect which dog would be a good friend for it.
    Thank you CatMom You said my question is not able to be answered But that is ok! Thank again for the info anyway (it will help a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think if they're introduced the right way and get to know each other, they will get along. My cat was a kitten when we introduced him to our older dog, and they became great friends. After he died and we got a new puppy, they bonded too. So they don't both have to be young in order to get along. But...there are some dogs that are just aggressive with cats and other animals, so in those cases the dog can never be trusted with the cat.

Hey! That bottom pic is the one you use for your Alpha1 picture

Yes, that's them together in the truck on a camping trip. Loki, my cat is the same one in all pictures. He was never around any dogs when we got him as a kitten, and my older dog Hans was never around any cats when I brought the kitten home, but I introduced them the right way, and they became the best of friends.

Yes, that's them together in the truck on a camping trip. Loki, my cat is the same one in all pictures. He was never around any dogs when we got him as a kitten, and my older dog Hans was never around any cats when I brought the kitten home, but I introduced them the right way, and they became the best of friends.

Awwwwww to bad you don't have Hans any more. Thank you again for the info How old is bigfoot?

Bigfoot is a little over 2 1/2 years old.

Does Loki like Bigfoot as much as he loved Hans?
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Loki likes Bigfoot a lot and seems to care for and trust him. It's hard to gauge love though, so it's a hard question to answer. I think as Bigfoot matures, their bond will strengthen.

Loki likes Bigfoot a lot and seems to care for and trust him. It's hard to gauge love though, so it's a hard question to answer. I think as Bigfoot matures, their bond will strengthen.
    Awwww!!!! Cute I'm glad Loki loves bigfoot.

Bigfoot is a little over 2 1/2 years old.

Thank you. What kind of dog is he? Oh and do you no what kind of cat Loki is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.