Neutered dog, healing good?

Neutered dog, healing good?

Hello. My baby boy, Blue, 2.5 years old, just got neutered on Monday. We weren't really planning on doing it when we adopted him, he was 7wks, but with time we noticed and decided it was the best for him. We never had a neutered dog so we are not sure what is "healthy" looking or not. I have been home with him since day one so i am constantly watching him, so he doesn't lick or chew on it; if i cant watch him, i put the cone on (which he dislikes very much) and also he wears it on night time. He is doing so good, eating just fine, more than usual i would say haha, drinking water, wants to play, run, is going potty perfectly both things, so that i would say are all good signs. What you say?
    In your experience, how long did you make your dogs wear the e-collar? I was thinking at least a week, depending how its going down there too, of course. Just because poor baby won't sleep at night with it, i've tried the towel technique, he liked it, but he was able to reach his incision, so back to the cone.
    Tips, suggestions, etc would really appreciate it.
    TIA

it doesn't take long for them to recoup, a few days, sometimes even the next day and they are pretty much back to normal. As long as the incision doesn't look red and inflamed there is no infection. Sounds like he's doing ok. He should were his "hat" until the stitches are out, you could put bag balm on it to keep it soft and not crusty, other than that just leave it alone, it will heal on its own and he'll be back to normal shortly. I've had females spayed, they've stayed overnight and before the day was over they were running around like normal, so don't worry, he's fine
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    it doesn't take long for them to recoup, a few days, sometimes even the next day and they are pretty much back to normal. As long as the incision doesn't look red and inflamed there is no infection. Sounds like he's doing ok. He should were his "hat" until the stitches are out, you could put bag balm on it to keep it soft and not crusty, other than that just leave it alone, it will heal on its own and he'll be back to normal shortly. I've had females spayed, they've stayed overnight and before the day was over they were running around like normal, so don't worry, he's fine
    Thanks linda2147, if it was up to me i would let him be normal now haha but clinic said to avoid stairs which we dont have, but they told me to cover the couches with boxes or chairs, so he doesn't get on them, so i did. Its also hard not to let him run in the yard, she said to take him out on a leash the problem is, he has always associated the leash with fun walks so he wont be calm either.. i wish i could attach a picture but it doesn't let me, says error everytime i tried.

they told me the same thing and I agree with no heavy exercise for now. But as long as the cut looks like its healing ok and there is no red line in or around it its not getting infected, that and pulling the stitches out is what they are concerned about. Neutering is nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it.

if you are getting an error message on posting the pic try resizing it, it just may be to big
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Well, it is redish, but i read its important that the incision/stiches are closed on its edges, which they are. The red i think its normal looking because after all it was a surgery, it is looking better everyday, so i guess thats why i am not that worried. He is on pain meds until today, lets see how he does without them. So in your experience, when were your girls back to normal excercise? Playing with each other etc?
    Mine has play dates at least once a week with my sisters dog, so for now we are not doing it, but ill like to know your opinion.

I'd wait until the stitches are out before any play dates. As long as it isn't leaking and pussy looking it should be ok. But to keep it soft and so it doesn't get crusty rub some bag balm on it, won't matter if he licks it off, it won't hurt him, or just leave it alone, don't let him chew or lick at it, Within a week he'll be back to normal and once the stitches are out you'll never know anything was done.

My biggest problem was the others would attempt to take the stitches out for her. I had one cat done and by the time I took her in for stitch removal they were already removed.

Thanks linda.. he has stitches inside, outside looks like glued, so thats why i am not sure how to tell when will it be okay to do things..but we'll figure it out as days go by. Other worry is that, we have a trip planned for the 22nd, and he will be staying with my sister and her dog, so hopefully by then, his all good with the wound.

the inside stitches will desolve by themselves. The outside one will dry up and be removed, if they don't fall out on their own. By the 22nd he'll be fine. Neutering is not a big deal, they just make a small incision, remove the balls, sew it back up and its done. It will take a while for all the testerone to leave his body but in a couple of weeks unless you look you won't be able to tell anything has been done

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.