digestive enzyme for cats

digestive enzyme for cats

My Greta threw up some clear liquid this morning and wasn't too interested in food. This has happened before (not that often or I'd be at the vet's office) but looking online found there could be many causes...from hairball to cancer (ugh) I hope it's a hairball issue and she'll eat this afternoon. She's acting normal otherwise. But I read that digestive enzymes can really help. Does anybody give them to their cats on a daily basis? If so what kind do you use? thanks!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

If it's a hairball, why wouldn't that come out with the clear liquid?

The fact it is clear tells you she has not eaten anything.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Halo makes a food for sensitive stomachs if you want to try that
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I've never used them Esme, but I think a natural digestive enzyme is definitely worth a try, providing you can get Greta to take/eat it. Looks like there's a large variety online to choose from, as with any supplements they seems costly and usually the higher the price the better the quality. I just cleaned up a small amount of clear liquid this morning on my rug, I didn't witness who did it, but from the amount I assume it was the cat. I've been rubbing some hairball treatment on his leg every couple of days, because he was sounding a bit like he wanted to bring up a hairball. Good luck, hugs for your baby.

thanks everybody Greta was back to her old self thank goodness but I worry about my furry family.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I doubt it will stop the vomiting, but I use Forti-flora to get my cat to eat his wet food. The reviews state that it helps relieve constipation but not diarrhea, and some have reported that it helps alleviate vomiting. Even if they don't need it, it doesn't hurt them to have some on their food (it makes food more appealing actually). It's expensive at the vets office, but you can order it on Amazon for about $10 less.
    I'd be sure to get kitty checked out by the vet to rule out blockage though, just vomiting liquid is a sign that kitty isn't eating. I hope your kitty feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by theShirk View Post
    I doubt it will stop the vomiting, but I use Forti-flora to get my cat to eat his wet food. The reviews state that it helps relieve constipation but not diarrhea, and some have reported that it helps alleviate vomiting. Even if they don't need it, it doesn't hurt them to have some on their food (it makes food more appealing actually). It's expensive at the vets office, but you can order it on Amazon for about $10 less.
    I'd be sure to get kitty checked out by the vet to rule out blockage though, just vomiting liquid is a sign that kitty isn't eating. I hope your kitty feels better soon.
    Forti flora is probiatoic or prebiotic cultures. It helps digestion in the colon, which has many beneficial bacteria. Cats are usualy fine without supplements, but those with digestive disorders may benefit and it certainly can't hurt them.

Pumpkin either in a food recipe or as an appetizer helps with both constipation and diarrhea. Solid Gold uses it in some products and is grain-free. (Unfortunately it is not sold at Petsmart.)*9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-+

^^^My cat decided to help me type.^^^

Yes, I know it's a probiotic. The OP was asking if a digestive enzyme would help, that was the only recommendation I had to offer. My cat is a finicky eater and Forti-Flora works. I think my response to the OP was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by theShirk View Post
    Yes, I know it's a probiotic. The OP was asking if a digestive enzyme would help, that was the only recommendation I had to offer. My cat is a finicky eater and Forti-Flora works. I think my response to the OP was fine.
    I have a finicky eater too. It is frustrating to keep throwing out food she lilkes to eat on some days but not others.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.