My Pets Continued!

Smile My Pets Continued!

The last two!

The Fish-

Ali (He's camera shy so he was a tough one to get.)
    IMG_0109.JPG

The Snake-

Medusa (She hasn't ate in a few weeks now. She seems fine otherwise though. She also has a creak in her neck. Have taken her to the vet multiple times but nothing they have tried seems to be helping. She has ate since having it and she seems to get around alright.)
    IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG

Very nice, did Medusa always have that crick in her neck, what causes that? Glad she's able to eat with it, how long can they go between meals, a few weeks seems like such a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Very nice, did Medusa always have that crick in her neck, what causes that? Glad she's able to eat with it, how long can they go between meals, a few weeks seems like such a long time?
    Thanks Alpha! She didn't, I got her close to a year ago now from the local pet shop that was going out of business. I was told she was a he and that they had no clue what his age was. He was in with another corn snake. A couple of weeks into having her she laid some eggs, which let me know she was a she.

I went on a corn snake forum and found out the pet shop had sold me some things for her that wasn't really the best options for her so I did some online shopping and got her sorted out. I've read that the crick can be a genetics thing and they can form anywhere in the body. The not eating does worry me a bit as she is my first reptile. I've done research though and others talk like it's normal for them to go months without eating. They say it's the brumation period, hibernation for reptiles.

I saw your other thread too, lovely pets you have there

Medusa may not be eating now because she may be ready to lay eggs. Itís breeding season for corns this time of year and around now is the time for females to deposit their eggs. If she bred last year she may have retained the sperm to fertilise her eggs for this year. They can retain from a previous years breeding for up to a year and fertilise themselves. Corn snakes may also produce eggs without mating regardless of whether the eggs are fertilised or not. Usually eggs are produced yearly or twice yearly but are sometimes resorbed if unfertilised, but I find well fed snakes will go full term, even if the eggs are not fertile. Make sure she has a humid hide prepared as snakes will retain their eggs if there is not a proper place to lay, which can be very dangerous. You can also feel along her underside to see if you can feel the eggs, it should feel like a row of pearls.

A few weeks of not eating is not harmful at all, especially considering they can go a year without food. In fact itís normal to leave corns a few weeks between meals. I had one go 9 months without eating but thankfully heís fine now. Once weekly is the most frequently they should be fed, if fed single meals. Over feeding can be an issue with snakes as they have such incredibly efficient digestive systems, absorbing over 99% of the potential net energy from their food whilst also being incredibly good at conserving energy, meaning they do not need to eat frequently and are prone to conditions such as fatty liver syndrome in captivity. A corn snake should have well defined muscles either side of the spine, should look fairly lean but without ribs or spine showing and the body should tapir smoothly towards the tail (no fatty deposits, or Ďhipsí either side of the base of the tail). If a snake stops eating generally you stick to the same weekly/fortnightly feeding schedule to prevent the snake from developing a bad association with the food and being over pestered to eat.

About the kink, spinal deformities are most commonly congenital issues, resulting from temperature spikes during incubation which interferes with the embryos development. These are usually apparent from hatching so if Medusaís kink occurred later on in life Iím a bit stumped as to the cause. Spinal kinking in reptiles is commonly a problem with bone mineralisation due to insufficient calcium but this is rare in snakes as they eat whole prey so do not generally have problems taking in their full nutritional requirements. The only thing I can think of is to perhaps provide some low level UV-B. The only other cause of kinking that I know of is physical trauma but Iím sure this isnít the case here.

Thank you so much for all of that information!

I wasn't thinking about her possibly readying for more eggs. I remember last year she was going all over the tank trying to escape a couple days before she laid them. I haven't seen her doing that behavior yet but will add a moist hide as I've read that helps aid them in the shedding process too. Wow, I didn't know they could go a whole year without food. I'm glad to hear I've had her feeding schedule right. I only feed her a medium to large mouse depending on what they have in once a week. I only try once a week and if she doesn't take it then I wait till the next week to try again.

Her current setup is a 20 long gallon aquarium. She has aspen bedding, a large water bowl, a piece of wood that functions as a cave with plastic plants for cover on her cool side, and a half log hide on top of her heat mat on the warm side. Her heat mat has a thermostat that keeps the temperature between 80-85 degrees. The vet I took her to did x rays and said that it didn't show any tumors. She did snake acupuncture which I didn't even know was a thing for snakes. She also tried some laser treatments. She had me putting a warm washcloth on her neck for about ten minutes, three times a day. None of that seemed to help it though. The only thing I can think of is one time the store was out of frozen mice so I got a frozen rat, a young one. She took it but she did seem to have a bit of a time getting it down which I didn't realize until she had the head down her throat. Could something like that have caused it?

It sounds like you’re doing everything right. I’d be tempted to suggest a bigger enclosure but this can depend on if Medusa seems content with what she has and space constraint in the house. I find corns love larger enclosures being an active species (4ft plus enclosure) particularly when there’s plenty of hides and foliage to hide behind. They also love a basking shelf but that’s not essential for a happy corn, more of an added bonus.

I have never heard of snake acupuncture, it’s certainly not a mainstream treatment nor do I suspect there’s any real validity to the treatment.

Just researched and the acupuncture and laser treatment seems to be a recent holistic treatment for snakes, i.e. no real evidence as to its effectiveness and a blanket treatment when the actual issues are unknown. It is not common practice; I’d be tempted to go to a different reptile qualified vet if you ever need to get Medusa more treatment.

I suppose it could be possible that she injured herself trying to eat a large meal but that would be quite a rare thing as snakes muscles are very elastic so the larger meal shouldn’t have caused her harm, even though she initially struggled with it. It’s a possibility though and looks like the best answer we have given the evidence to hand. If it’s a muscular injury she may just need time to recover on her own, you’ve certainly not done anything wrong with your management of her.

I think all that you can do is monitor her progress carefully and keep track of any changes to her behaviour. Iherp.com is an excellent website for tracking your reptiles, keeping notes on feedings, cleaning, weight, behaviour etc. For now maybe avoid large meals so not to aggravate her neck, maybe even try her with small mice instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly Innocent View Post
    Thanks Alpha! She didn't, I got her close to a year ago now from the local pet shop that was going out of business. I was told she was a he and that they had no clue what his age was. He was in with another corn snake. A couple of weeks into having her she laid some eggs, which let me know she was a she.

I went on a corn snake forum and found out the pet shop had sold me some things for her that wasn't really the best options for her so I did some online shopping and got her sorted out. I've read that the crick can be a genetics thing and they can form anywhere in the body. The not eating does worry me a bit as she is my first reptile. I've done research though and others talk like it's normal for them to go months without eating. They say it's the brumation period, hibernation for reptiles.
    Thanks for the information!

Cute!

Thank you, I'm so glad! I didn't know that, I think a 4 foot would be a 55 gallon aquarium. I don't really have the extra space at the moment but am hoping to move, saving up for it and then I'm sure I could upgrade her. The basking shelf sounds really nice too.

I'll take note of that, I have another vet in mind to take her too if need be that I think will be better than the one I took her too.

I like that idea too, it would probably be good to lower her to small on account of her having not ate in awhile as well. I didn't know about that site. I will be sure to check it out! Thank you so much again for all of your help!

You're welcome Alpha!

Thanks Yeti!

Thanks for sharing Cute pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly Innocent View Post
    Thank you, I'm so glad! I didn't know that, I think a 4 foot would be a 55 gallon aquarium. I don't really have the extra space at the moment but am hoping to move, saving up for it and then I'm sure I could upgrade her. The basking shelf sounds really nice too.

I'll take note of that, I have another vet in mind to take her too if need be that I think will be better than the one I took her too.

I like that idea too, it would probably be good to lower her to small on account of her having not ate in awhile as well. I didn't know about that site. I will be sure to check it out! Thank you so much again for all of your help!

You're welcome Alpha!

Thanks Yeti!

Your welcome

No problem, I'm happy to help.

A wooden vivarium would be both cheaper and lighter than a glass aquarium, and easier to modify too (can drill holes or attach suspended hides - grants more flexibility for interior design). Vivariums are also front loading rather than top loading which makes it easier to access I think.

Oh and one last thing about anorexia in snakes; monitor her weight weekly, she should not lose more than 10% of her body weight during a normal fasting period. She'll be fine going on strike for a few months but there are a few things to tempt her such as scenting her food, I find chicks and rabbit fur work very well. I used to have rabbits a while back and could get my stubborn snakes eating by petting the rabbit, collecting the fur and using that to scent the snakes dinner with. It's a much stronger smell so often elicits a stronger feeding response. also leaving the food in over night can sometimes encourage them to eat too. If she is gravid she won't eat until she lays her eggs. You can also add some reptoboost to her drinking water, it contains probiotics, enzymes, vitamins and electrolytes to support vulnerable reptiles and can stimulate appetite. Be sure to change the water daily and clean out the water dish thoroughly as it also supports rapid bacterial growth in the water dish within a 24 hour period.

This is my website which might have more useful information on it for you https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

All the best to you and Medusa

I love the idea of the wooden vivarium but after looking around online don't see them being sold here in the US only in the UK.

I can do that, I've got one of those little kitchen scales that I can use for her. I just ordered the Repta Boost for her, it should be arriving in two to three days! I'll also up changing her water to daily as well.

I've bookmarked your site and will be sure to check it out. You know your stuff when it comes to reptiles!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.