Food for Diabetic Cat with Renal Issues

Food for Diabetic Cat with Renal Issues

So my 12 year old calico had a bout with renal failure and diabetes over a year ago. They got the diabetes under control and pretty much dissolved the kidney issues, and I'm keeping the diabetes under control with insulin shots twice per day and Purina DM diabetic dry food. I'd like to transition her over to wet food since it seems to be the consensus among cat owners that dry food is really bad for a diabetic cat.

My issue is this, not only is she a dry food junkie, but I read that the wet food that I transition her to needs to be LOW phosphorus, as the phosphorus in cat food is horrible for their kidneys. My question for you more experienced cat owners is this, what brand of wet food also happens to be low phosphorus? I heard that there is a brand called "Primal," but I'm not sure about the phosphorus content of that particular food, I have to check into it. Any brands that you have experience with and have had good results with?

Thank you in advance,
    James

I've never had a diabetic cat but I do know they need a low phosphorus food but also you need to watch the carbs. cats and dogs do not need carbs in their diet and their system is not designed to digest carbs. So with whatever you get check the carb content.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome to the forum James. Thank you for posting.

I know exactly what you mean about having a dry food junkie. Cats are creatures of habit and will not recognize wet food as cat food if they have only eaten kibbles for 12 years. It happened to my first cat when she had kidney failure at the same age.

No offense to your vet, but Purina is junk food. Vets prescribe it because the company sponsors vet schools, brings in lecturers for pet nutrition classes, and offers free food to the students. Then they make deals to sell Purina in their clinics. Some vets, of course, know much bettet than this and will not sell or recommend Purina, but even they prescribe other junk food brands such as Hill's Pet and Royal Canin for the same reasons.

None of this means you need to go against your vet's nutritional advice, however. The low phosphorus requirement is why he/she prescribes it. You just need to find a healthier option for reducing her phosphorus intake and hopefully increasing water at the same time.

The magic number for phosphorus content is 0.5% (maximum) on the can label. I can't help you with dry food in that regard, but it is true all cats with kidney disease and diabetes need a wet food only diet if possible.

Primal ils one of the brands you must avoid. It is nearly 100% raw animal products (sometimes including bone), similar to what a cat would eat in the wild, freeze-dried to lock in nutrents (including phosphorus) and flavors.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I've had 2 diabetic cats...Zaphod & Nigel...both were on insulin and a low carb diet. We fed Blue Buffalo grain free which comes in different flavors but I always stick to the chicken, red meat, rabbit variety. Royal Canin also makes has a food for diabetic cats called Glycobalance S/O Index dry food (I never used that one). It's not easy but since I'm a diabetic also the shots weren't difficult. I also kept karo syrup around in case he had a low blood sugar and then you would rub a small amount on their gums to get their blood sugar back up. Also I bought glucose test strips (any pharmacy carries them) to test his urine levels for high/low blood sugars. Here's a link with some good information: http://www.petdiabetes.com/pdorg/hypoglycemia.htm

BTW what's your cat's name?

Thank you linda, catmom, and esme. Her name is CC, which was what her name was when we adopted her, I'm assuming it's short for Cecelia but I'm not 100% on that. Ok, so I'm going to stay away from primal for sure, and stay away from all raw food for that matter since it locks in phosphorus. And I'm looking for a wet food with a phosphorus content of 0.5% maximum or less. That's all great information and I thank you all for that. Esme, were Zaphod and Nigel able to get off of insulin from the wet food?

You might find this article helpful for your cat

http://www.felinecrf.org/catfood_dat...s_food_content
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by James7886 View Post
    Thank you linda, catmom, and esme. Her name is CC, which was what her name was when we adopted her, I'm assuming it's short for Cecelia but I'm not 100% on that. Ok, so I'm going to stay away from primal for sure, and stay away from all raw food for that matter since it locks in phosphorus. And I'm looking for a wet food with a phosphorus content of 0.5% maximum or less. That's all great information and I thank you all for that. Esme, were Zaphod and Nigel able to get off of insulin from the wet food?
    I like that name! Zaphod & Nigel still had to take insulin but the dosages were lower than when they started taking insulin. They were both so good about the shots. I have photos of them in my album.

You can feed low carb Fancy Feast or Friskies pates TO Calico (anything with a sauce is higher in carbs) and mix it with a phosphorus binder that binds the phosphorus. That is what I had to do with Rover. I gave the KD a try and his number skyrocketed

The binder that most vets carry is really for dogs. It contains the sweetener. The powdered aluminum hydroxide powder from thrivingpets.com is best. A few ounces lasts a long time.

If you can upload any lab results regarded diabetes and the kidney disease, there are people here who can help interpret them.

A diet change can bring numbers down dramatically and that means that less insulin is needed. The only way to monitor this is by home testing (which should be started before a major diet change).

Welcome to the forum Michael.

Fancy Feast and Friskies are made by Purina, the brand James is smartly trying to get away from. Hill's KD worked for my cat Patricia, but she did not like it and lost too much weight on it.

I do like your idea to post lab results.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.