Cat with Kidney Failure-15 y/o-my history to share and be helpful

Thumbs up Cat with Kidney Failure-15 y/o-my history to share and be helpful

Hi All. I am new to the site. We recently had to euthanize our beautiful Kitty, Holly. Permanent kidney failure. I read a post 3 years ago which was a big help, wanted to pay it forward.

On Feb 5, 2015, Holly was diagnosed with the start of renal failure. Vaccinations appear to have set this in motion. Doc recommended Epakitin. I read online Azodyl and Epakitin work better together. Asked the Vet. and he agreed. Shortly after Feb 5th, I began with 1/2 capsule of Azodyl and 1/2 scoop Epakitin every 12 hours.

Holly would not eat wet food so I mixed the meds in a 10 ml syringe and force fed 2 syringes with pate Friskies...for 3 years to the day. Until she began to eat less and eventually stop eating, while simultaneously gorging on water. In the early morning of 2/9/18, she began vomiting and had diarrhea (pasty off white colored, THIS IS BAD).

I knew from previous experience the end would be extremely painful for her, so we took her to Animal ER near us and had her euthanized to spare her the immense pain. We believe these meds gave her an extra 3 (skinny) happy years. From everything I've read online and people I have talked to, Epakitin when used alone will only help for 15-18 months. Hope this helps someone out there.

Glad you joined the forum!

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about your Holly, my condolences. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Welcome, I'm so sorry to hear about your Holly. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Very sorry to hear about Holly. You took good care of her, including the difficult but important kindness of bringing her to the Rainbow Bridge when it was time. Now Holly will watch over you. Thank you for documenting your course of treatment for others to access.

Welcome to the forum Lisa. I am sorry you had to go through this painful ending with your kitty. RIP Holly.

Thank you for sharing the information you learned about treating CRF. Anything that can help other kitties live longer with the horrible disease is good to know.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Oh that is truly sad about Holly and you have my sympathy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.