"Momma, I gotta go!"

Unhappy "Momma, I gotta go!"

My 3 month old Boston is an absolute treat to have. We crate him on my side of the bed at night, so when I hear him rustling around and squirming I immediately take him outside to relieve himself. Other than that, unless we catch him sniffing around, he isn't the greatest on letting us know that he has to go. But we do take him out regularly throughout the day. Last night while my boyfriend and I were playing fetch with him, he stopped and peed on the carpet right in front of us. We stopped him and rushed outside to finish. How have you all taught your Bostons to let you know when they have to go out? I would love for him to go to the door to alert me. I understand this is something that can't happen overnight, and I am very patient. Thank you.

What I have experienced is that doing potty outside must be FUN, FUN, FUN. When my puppy would relieve herself outside, I would immediately give her a small treat and act like the heavens had just opened up, like she had just one a TV game show grand prize, whooping and showering her with continuing praise.

She caught on quickly.

The neighbors thought I was weird.

But I'm not convinced that the neighbors themselves are potty trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    What I have experienced is that doing potty outside must be FUN, FUN, FUN. When my puppy would relieve herself outside, I would act like the heavens had just opened up, like she had just one a TV game show grand prize. Wooping and making my voice go up and down with praise.

She caught on quickly.

The neighbors thought I was weird.

But I'm not convinced that the neighbors themselves are potty trained.
    We do! I myself am outside in my robe, slippers and bed head cheering "Go potty! Good boy!" And when he gets back inside, he rushes straight into the kitchen and sits down, waiting for his treat. He knows the drill.. Wish he could talk sometimes lol. Just has occasional hiccups and goes on the floor. Never poop, always pee.

He's still a baby, so he may peewee when excited, etc. I don't have a Boston Terrier, but my dog doesn't make a big fuss when he has to go out either. I do let him out often, so he rarely really has to 'go'. When he wants to go out sometimes, he will just stand by me or sit by me and look at me like he wants something. He's not a big whiner at all, but once or twice he gave a quiet whimper when he wanted to go out in the middle of the night. Other than that, I just have to pay attention to him, he's 2 1/2 yrs and hasn't had an accident in the house since puppy training, and those were few.

Some people teach their dog to ring a bell on the doorknob when they want to go out, you have to teach them to relate the ringing of the bell to going outside. I gave it a half hearted try, but he seemed to be put off by the sound of the bell, so I didn't bother. I had four Standard Schnauzers over the years who also just gave subtle hints that they wanted to go out, and they were all perfectly housetrained.

Good luck, your pup is absolutely adorable! Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    He's still a baby, so he may peewee when excited, etc. I don't have a Boston Terrier, but my dog doesn't make a big fuss when he has to go out either. I do let him out often, so he rarely really has to 'go'. When he wants to go out sometimes, he will just stand by me or sit by me and look at me like he wants something. He's not a big whiner at all, but once or twice he gave a quiet whimper when he wanted to go out in the middle of the night. Other than that, I just have to pay attention to him, he's 2 1/2 yrs and hasn't had an accident in the house since puppy training, and those were few.

Some people teach their dog to ring a bell on the doorknob when they want to go out, you have to teach them to relate the ringing of the bell to going outside. I gave it a half hearted try, but he seemed to be put off by the sound of the bell, so I didn't bother. I had four Standard Schnauzers over the years who also just gave subtle hints that they wanted to go out, and they were all perfectly housetrained.

Good luck, your pup is absolutely adorable! Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you very much! We considered the bell option, a few of my friends have had success with it. What worries me is him ringing it constantly, not only when he has to pee but when he's bored and just wants to go outside you know? But you're right, he is still a wee one. Consistency.. we'll keep trying.

glad you joined the forum

I teach mine words like outside and go potty, even if you catch him mid pee, pick him up and say "outside" then take him out, say "go potty" when he goes then praise and a treat. you'd be surprised how quickly they learn the words, if you take him out and he doesn't go then no treat, take him back out say "outside" and go potty, repeat as necessary, he will learn quickly. Usually takes me about three weeks to housebreak, not that I'd say they are reliable left alone unsupervised but they know to let me know when they have to go out, remember they can only hold it one hour for every month old they are
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaDuh View Post
    Thank you very much! We considered the bell option, a few of my friends have had success with it. What worries me is him ringing it constantly, not only when he has to pee but when he's bored and just wants to go outside you know? But you're right, he is still a wee one. Consistency.. we'll keep trying.
    You're right, abuse of the bell might happen for dogs who just want to go in and out all day out of boredom, or if they hear something of interest outside.

I do the crate training method. The pup or dog is always either attached to you by leash indoors, outside, or when you're gone or asleep in his crate. The idea being he has to earn his indoor freedom. When he pees indoors say a firm "no" and take him outside immediately. When he goes outside give a command like "go potty" and when he does give lots of praise and treat him. It takes awhile this way but it does work. I was able to get Jackson fully house trained when all other methods failed me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.