Dog started peeing in the house again

Dog started peeing in the house again

I'm new to the forum and have a question about potty training (as I'm sure most people here do!).

I have an almost 2 year old Terrier/Dachshund mix. After about a month or 2 of owning him he was seemingly potty trained, he stopped going in the house and all was well. Fast forward to this winter and he started peeing in the house again. He doesn't do it in front of me or my wife and he seems to do it just about every time we leave the house, even if it's only an hour or 2.

My wife works from home 3 days a week and the 2 days she goes into the office, I am off, so he is very lucky in that someone is always home with him. However, as mentioned above, almost every time we have to leave him alone to run errands, go to dinner etc. we come home to find he peed somewhere.

A few things that will be helpful to know is that we have a doggy door and a fenced in backyard so he basically had the freedom to go outside whenever he wanted to. Also, this winter has been extremely cold where we live so at first we just attributed it to him not wanting to go outside in below 0 temperatures.. and figured he would get back to normal when it was tolerable outside. However, even on days where the weather is fine he is still going inside (only upstairs on the carpet, he doesn't go downstairs).

We're struggling in how to retrain him since we can't catch him in the act, and would never result to punishing him as we know this would only confuse him. We make him go outside before we leave sometimes even save our walks for right before we leave but still he goes. The places we find the pee also indicate that he's lifting his leg up like he's marking whatever he's peeing on. Does anyone have any advice?

New Hampshire
    I've got two suggestions for you, first you can retrain him as if her were a small puppy. Put him in a crate, a small crate, just big enough for him to stand up and turn around, they won't go where they sleep so he will let you know when he needs to go out.

Second suggestion is when you have to go out and you know he will pee on the floor put a belly band on him, you put a sanitary napkin in the belly band to catch any dribbles.

Before you do anything have him checked by a vet, he may have a uti that's causing the behavior
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

North Carolina, USA
    When I got Jackson he was close to a year old and even after getting him fixed he still kept marking. I did what Linda suggested above with the crate training, if you do go this option then he should be attached to you by leash indoors, outside, or while you're gone or asleep he should be in his crate. The idea being that he has to earn his indoor freedom again. Take him out around every four hours, any accidents, or marking he does in between give a firm "no" and take him outside immediately and give a command like "go potty". Whenever he does go outside praise and treat him. Unfortunately, it's not an overnight fix but it worked for my Jackson and believe me, I had about given up all hope.

For the spots he's marking on the carpet, look for some Nature's Miracle stain remover. It has enzymes in it that will erase the scent of his urine. He will continue to smell his own urine and continue to mark it otherwise.
    2 Dogs- Jackson & Salsi (Chihuahua & Mix) 1 Cat- Cameron (Mix) 1 Mouse- Pip (Pink Eyed White) 1 Bird- Clover (Crimson Bellied Conure) 1 Fish- Ali (Veiltail Betta) 1 Snake- Medusa (Corn)

Glad you joined the forum

New Jersey
    Potty Training Tips:

1. Game Face After Feeding – Five to 30 minutes after the puppy eats, it will want to defecate. So with a consistent eating schedule, and your attention to the clock, your puppy can maintain regular trips outside.
    2. Hourly Rotation – If you can, take the puppy outside every hour to the same patch of grass and wait for him to pee/poop. Its imperative that you act super excited and give them a treat right after they do their thing. This will teach them that going out side is a good thing and they will learn that going to this spot means bathroom time.
    3. Puppy Pads – Use the same hourly rotation on the puppy pads and reward good behavior.
    4. Look For Signs – Get ready to spring into action when the he begins to sniff the ground and roaming around in circles. Once they start the look for their spot, say a command like “Go Potty” and reward good behavior.
    5. Positive Reinforcement – Keep in mind that this is frustrating work. Always use positive reinforcement and a firm “NO!” or “Bad Dog” when they go in the wrong place. Never shove your dogs face in the poop or pee because it will only confuse them. If you come home to an accident DO NOT GET MAD!!!!!! Dogs think in the moment so you getting angry will only teach the puppy that getting excited when you come home is bad behavior. Accept your loss and move on.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.