Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How often do you feed your cat/ Is my cat getting chubby?

How often do you feed your cat/ Is my cat getting chubby?

How often do you feed your cat? I have been feeding Molly every 5 to 6 hours in a 24 hour period. She has high quality wet food and a bit chicken. However I think she may be getting a bit plump but I am not sure. Going to the Vet on Tuesday to have her weight and checked. Here is a video of her this morning. She is now 11 months maybe time to feed her less? last two days she only wanted food twice a day.

Do you think she looks like she is getting plump? taking into consideration that she has a fluffy belly and her primordial pouch.

She looks fine to me Eleora. Not sure what my cat weighs presently, but 2 years ago the vet said he was 10.1 pounds and was a little overweight, he wanted him to lose a pound which I thought was ridiculous. My cat also has the belly pouch or loose skin on the underbelly which causes him to look fatter. He's a Manx and has the rectangular look of the body. I can still feel his spine very easily when I pet him, so I wouldn't want him to be too thin.

However, it did get me to thinking that as a 'preventative' I would start him on weight management dry food. I free-feed the dry, so he can eat that whenever he wants, I just use a small bowl with amounts that I can kind of monitor what he's eating. I use Blue Buffalo Indoor Hairball and Weight Control, along with a once a day feeding of 1/3 of a 5.5 ounce can of quality wet food.

I always thought an average cat weight was areound 12 pounds, but I might be wrong. Of course it depends on the breed and bone structure, also muscle content. You can get an idea of how much your cat or dog weighs if you have a digital bathroom scale at home. Just weigh yourself a couple of times and verify that number. Then pick the cat or dog up and do the same. If another person is in the house, they can help further to see if the weights match. Subtract your weight from the total, and that's the weight of the pet.

Molly is a cutie and since she's still a kitten she needs to eat more than an adult. When she turns a year old then you transition her to adult and less feedings. From your video she doesn't look skinny but looks happy and well fed. You engage her in play time which is great! Hopefully her vet visit will be fine too,

That's true Esme, I wasn't thinking of the age being so young. Is a year old the best time to switch to adult food and servings, or do you think some cats can wait until 1 1/2 years old because of rates of maturity?

Alpha, Manxes are supposed to be circular. I read you can draw a Manx by making a lot of circles (not true literally, of course). I think Wilbur was part Manx because in addition to the cobby body with longer back legs he had a couple fewer bones in his tail than my other cats.

Eleora, Molly is full-grown now. You can cut it down to three meals a day.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I free feed the dry, which is Halo or Fromm (I'm switching to all Halo, because I'm having a hard time finding the fromm duck) They each get a pouch of the Natural balance twice a day, Sandy bengal kitten, gets a pouch anytime she wants it as she's still growing. She weighs around 6 pounds now. My big male bengal weighs 20 pounds and Nanny weighs 11.

Orri is long and lean, all muscle, not an ounce of fat on him, Sandy is getting longer but I think she is skinny, Nanny is more short and I think fat. The vet says no, she's perfect weight, she also says Sandy looks skinny because all her food is going for growth.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I kind of just noticed how big she has got, one day she was a teeny kitten then all of a sudden she is heavy when I pick her up XD

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, Manxes are supposed to be circular.
    I was talking about the rectangular shape of the body as seen from the side view, Loki is my second Manx and they both were that way and many I've seen in shows. Here's an online picture of a Manx, do you see the rectangular shape I'm referring to?

Loki

Not in the first picture. That cat seems to have longer back legs than Loki in proportion to the front legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    I kind of just noticed how big she has got, one day she was a teeny kitten then all of a sudden she is heavy when I pick her up XD
    You really do feel the weight when you pick they up a lot like I do. I playfully tell my husband he's either getting fatter or I'm getting weaker.

She looks good to me too. I've read that you are supposed to let kittens up to a year old eat as much as they want. Once they hit the year old mark then you cut it back. I think for most cats it's a 5.5 oz can of food per day if fed only canned.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly Innocent View Post
    She looks good to me too. I've read that you are supposed to let kittens up to a year old eat as much as they want. Once they hit the year old mark then you cut it back. I think for most cats it's a 5.5 oz can of food per day if fed only canned.
    Whoever wrote that informatino was wrong. Kittens have to eat food formulated for them unless you buy twice as much ($$$) and double their meals until they stop growing. Also, kittens must eat enough wet food to like it better than kibbles.

We are just back from the Vet Molly weights 4.23kg, nurse said she is a little bit overweight. And to now get her off kitten food and onto adult food because the kitten food has Treo calories. She said that on average a cat should be 4kg. :/

that's a little over 9 pounds, sounds about right for your average cat. My siamese weighs about that, but my male bengal is not average, he weighs around 20 pounds.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

What are treo calories?

I had a cat whose normal weight was nine pounds and change. She had the swinging belly fat and looked great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.