Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How often do you feed your cat/ Is my cat getting chubby?

Oh i did not know that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bella's Mommy View Post
    Oh i did not know that lol
    Purina a company that makes a lot of products with different brand names, unlike Hill's Pet calling almost everything Science Diet.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

So was at the vet on Wednsday and Molly has gone from 4.23kg to 4.8kg so she has put more weight on.... they didn't tell me how much her ideal weight should be so dont have a target to work towards... :/ just that she needs to loose weight and the avarage cat is about 4kg, also I have to stop feeding her chicken breast along with her wet food because its fattening. I am to go back in three months and if she has not lost weight they have special diets they reccomend Hills Science Plan and Royal Canine I will try get some pics of her uploaded soon so you can see her from the side. I need to work out what to do and figure out the foods and stuff maybe open another thread for that. This is the most recent photos of her so far. I honestly didnt think she was over weight.

Oh forgot to add that the receptionist asked why I feed Molly different types of foods and that she has fed her dog the same food everyday for years and maybe because I feed Molly a variety is the problem of her gaining weight and she said pets dont need a varity, the same food everyday is better and that thinking they need a varity is a thing only in humans minds not animals... sounds a bit odd to me idk.

The receptionist was wrong. I have read doing that increases the risk of a cat developing food allergies. Also, if a cat only eats one food every day her entire life, she will refuse anything else when changes need to be made.

Do not feed her a prescription diet. She needs timed meals, measured servings, etc. to lose weight. Prescriptions are useless for weight loss because she will just eat more to make up for caloric losses.

why would listen to a receptionist, she doesn't know any more than you do? You could try a senior food if she's gaining weight. The only way to lose weight is less calories and more exercise. If you change the protein source regularly your cat will not develop a sensitivity to any one source so giving them a variety of flavors is actually beneficial.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Oh forgot to add that the receptionist asked why I feed Molly different types of foods and that she has fed her dog the same food everyday for years and maybe because I feed Molly a variety is the problem of her gaining weight and she said pets dont need a varity, the same food everyday is better and that thinking they need a varity is a thing only in humans minds not animals... sounds a bit odd to me idk.
    I like to feed a variety of canned foods to my cat, along with the regular brand of dry. Each brand has a little different ingredients and source of protein also, so besides flavor, it makes sense to me to change things up for them instead of depending on one brand daily for years. My cat likes all the canned flavors I feed, I just rotate for him every few days. I wouldn't pay much attention to the receptionist, and even take some things the vet says with a grain of salt. If I'm not mistaken, her weight is 10.6 pounds, which is NOT overweight for a cat at all, IMO.

Your photos are great, your cat is so beautiful, like a model!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    If you change the protein source regularly your cat will not develop a sensitivity to any one source so giving them a variety of flavors is actually beneficial.
    Excellent point Linda!

Exactly what I researched and thought! They use this graph and every cat has to look like this, because some dont have a rounder belly then others or different shape and they all come off of a factory convayer belt! I think I might be being played to purchase somthing.

Cat weight chart.jpg

Just took some pics of Molly from the side she does have a bit of a pouch I think? unless that is a her primordial pouch and some cats have a bit more then others? The Vet said its not her primordial pouch its fat and its not just about the weight its about being able to feel the ribs as she glides her hands along the side. I think 4kg would be to skinny for Molly though? Really fed up, I know human body shaming exists like women have to be stick thin and have thigh gaps but I never new it was like this for cats.

Last edited by Eleora; 06-23-2018 at 03:50 AM.

My cat has that same pouch look (feels like mostly skin) from the side, this is a picture of him when he was young. I think most Manx have that shape, and probably some other cats. The dry food I free-feed him daily is ' hairball and weight control', but the canned foods I use are regular formulas.

You'd never let your girl become obese, and I think if she was really becoming fat you'd know it. If I were you, I'd just go with my gut feeling about her personally, all cats are different and can't be lumped into one category, in my opinion. I think vets and doctors are trained to 'warn' everyone of possible excess weight because so many owners do let their pets become morbidly obese.

Such a hansome cat! Love his silvery fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Such a hansome cat! Love his silvery fur.
    If you look at Alpha's Loki gallery, you will notice his fur changes color with the lighting.

IMO Molly is not fat at all. You do a great job and she looks happy and healthy

Molly is a beautiful cat and she does not seem fat to me!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.