Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do some cats like to play and some don't?

Why do some cats like to play and some don't?

Some cat video's I've seen the cats were jumping around and playing with toys, and in some different videos they just sat down and would not play.

What I am wondering is why do some cats play more than others? Oh and do full grown cats play as much as kittens?
    Please tell me what YOU think.

It varies how long cats are playful. Some are only active as kittens; other cats are still running around at age 10/ Generally senior (11-15) and geriatric (>15) are much slower and lazier. Then there are breed differences if you happened to be watching a few Benglas or Abysinians who are not kittens. (This is also true for water-loving cats.) If you rescue a kitty, it is anyone/'s guess whether it will prefer your lap or toys.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Ok! Thank you. I also want to know how old do outdoor cats live to? I do no they live shorter than indoor cats.

It can depend on the breed of the cat, some are really active while others are more laid back. I've learned with rescue cats aka mixes it's a toss up, some are really active and some are total lap babies. I'll bet it comes from their genetics, inherited traits from their bloodlines.

Indoor cats lifespan- 18-20 years
    Outdoor cats lifespan- 2-5 years

It is not just genetic. Kittens learn some things about playing from their mothers after opening their eyes at age two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly Innocent View Post
    It can depend on the breed of the cat, some are really active while others are more laid back. I've learned with rescue cats aka mixes it's a toss up, some are really active and some are total lap babies. I'll bet it comes from their genetics, inherited traits from their bloodlines.

Indoor cats lifespan- 18-20 years
    Outdoor cats lifespan- 2-5 years

Wow! They live that short Why do they live that short? Also do you have a outdoor cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Wow! They live that short Why do they live that short? Also do you have a outdoor cat?
    Stay tuned for the completion of my book about that.

Of course, not all outdoor cats are born in the wild. Many cats get lost and never return home. This contributes to the myth that cats can live a long time outside.

To summarize, cats eat poisonous plants and fungi, consume toxic outdoor chemicals, get hit by cars, are bitten by insects that may carry germs, are attacked by other animals, and fall victim to animal cruelty. Although allergies do not kill cats they do cause other problems for outdoor kitties. And don't forget about the extreme weather conditions in most parts of the United States.

Unfortunately, yes. There are a lot of reasons listed above. I have had outdoor cats, indoor/outdoor cats, and indoor cats. I only ever have indoor cats now. Most of my outdoor cats were ferals and strays but I still considered them mine. The outdoor/indoor cats were all mine back when I hadn't learned how dangerous the outdoors was for them. I was thinking they would be happier having both worlds as they would cry at the door to go out. Lessons learned the hard way.

How much a cat plays is largely dependant on personality variation, my ginger tabby rarely played, my other cat would only play upstairs and my third cat likes to play, often running up and down the stairs or zooming in and out of the house.

All my cats had outdoor access (we have a cat flap), the cat that spent most time indoors developed arthritis in her later years but lived past 20, my other cat lived slightly longer (21) but was still climbing fences a few months before he passed away, he was a very fit elderly cat and spent a lot of time outdoors. My third cat also likes going outdoors, he’s currently 13 and extremely agile. I think the statistics on cats average lifespans are somewhat skewed, there most certainly is increased dangers but if living in a safe area such as a coldesac or otherwise away from main roads, the actual potential lifespan doesn’t seem any different. In high traffic areas or otherwise dangerous areas for cats it’s obviously better to house indoors.

Ok thank you both. I've made up my mind I will have ONLY indoor cats.

I think cats are like people, all different personalities, some are more active and some are more laid-back. Generally kittens have more energy and much more playful, but my cat is happy to play now as an adult, especially with one of those wand feather toys, he just doesn't get as wild as when he was a kitten.

My cat goes outdoors for short amounts of time during the day, on some days when he's in the mood, otherwise he's indoors. He mostly stays in our yard and I always keep an eye on him and check on him frequently to see if he's ready to come in.

Like Cat001 said, there are some outdoor cats who live long lives, depending on the area they are in, but I never had a cat that was outdoors all the time. For me, a pet is part of the family, and they share my whole house with me including my bed, even my dogs don't spend much time outside unless I'm with them. Obviously all pets are safer indoors, but they enjoy nature too, chasing a butterfly , eating or lying in fresh grass, watching and listening to the birds, etc. It's a natural part of life.

Just remembered something I could mention here, when we walk our dog the cat always comes with us for the walk. It’s pretty funny to see the look on people’s faces when I’m out with the dog being followed by the cat. More than once I’ve rushed out the house to catch a bus to realise the cat was following me, so had to turn back to take him home. So it seems some cats enjoy a walk with their owners in the outdoors. Just thought it was worth a mention

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think cats are like people, all different personalities, some are more active and some are more laid-back. Generally kittens have more energy and much more playful, but my cat is happy to play now as an adult, especially with one of those wand feather toys, he just doesn't get as wild as when he was a kitten.

My cat goes outdoors for short amounts of time during the day, on some days when he's in the mood, otherwise he's indoors. He mostly stays in our yard and I always keep an eye on him and check on him frequently to see if he's ready to come in.

Like Cat001 said, there are some outdoor cats who live long lives, depending on the area they are in, but I never had a cat that was outdoors all the time. For me, a pet is part of the family, and they share my whole house with me including my bed, even my dogs don't spend much time outside unless I'm with them. Obviously all pets are safer indoors, but they enjoy nature too, chasing a butterfly , eating or lying in fresh grass, watching and listening to the birds, etc. It's a natural part of life.

Thank you so much for all your info Do cats need lots of fresh air like we do? Or do they just peek out side once in a while and sniff around?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat001 View Post
    How much a cat plays is largely dependant on personality variation, my ginger tabby rarely played, my other cat would only play upstairs and my third cat likes to play, often running up and down the stairs or zooming in and out of the house.

All my cats had outdoor access (we have a cat flap), the cat that spent most time indoors developed arthritis in her later years but lived past 20, my other cat lived slightly longer (21) but was still climbing fences a few months before he passed away, he was a very fit elderly cat and spent a lot of time outdoors. My third cat also likes going outdoors, he’s currently 13 and extremely agile. I think the statistics on cats average lifespans are somewhat skewed, there most certainly is increased dangers but if living in a safe area such as a coldesac or otherwise away from main roads, the actual potential lifespan doesn’t seem any different. In high traffic areas or otherwise dangerous areas for cats it’s obviously better to house indoors.
    Wow, you were very lucky to have two cats live at least 20 years. I had one who came very close, 19.5, and she was still able to jump on my bed during her last year on Earth. But years before then she stopped running and walking fast. (I miss seeing the swinging tummy fat when she did that.) She preferred to play with other cats instead of toys and got lonely when her other best friend, Wilbur, had to cross the bridge. But she wasn't playfui at all as her kidney deteriorated.

I know the lifespan statistics are inaccurate. Many outdoor cats live longer than three years. However, the dangers of letting cats go outside like that go far beyond the ages cats die. They can have many problems out of the house that are not life-threatening, but could not happen indoors. What I am seeing on this forum is people learn the hard way even if their cats survive, letting them outside is a terrible idea.

Thank you so much for all your info Do cats need lots of fresh air like we do? Or do they just peek out side once in a while and sniff around?
    Can you open your windows to give yourself fresh air? Do you have a screen door in the back? Cats love to sit in windows and can get their fresh air that way. Some homeowners can build or install cat enclosures with all of the outdoor comforts a kitty could want except smaller animals to kill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.