keeping kitties calm and safe during roof replacement?

keeping kitties calm and safe during roof replacement?

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to the forum, and thanks in advance for you suggestions.
    This week our roof will get replaced thanks to damage from Irma....and I wanted suggestions on what organic product I can give to my kitties who will all be kept safely inside. I have a large home and know all their hiding spaces...our roofing company has told us that yes there will be noise but because we are replacing shingles it should be less than re-tiling.
    My vet has recommended "Rescue" which I get from Wholefoods...just wondering if there are any others.
    Thanks!

Our roof replacement started early in the morning and was finished by late afternoon/evening. I just kept my cat locked downstairs in our finished basement, that's where his litter box is kept anyway. It was extremely noisy and he would have been frightened on the main floor of the house, my house is a small ranch. I've tried Rescue Remedy for my dog in past years and it really didn't do anything to calm him during thunder storms, etc.

I hope your cats do okay with some reassurance and comfort from you during that work, how long do you suppose it will take for your large home, more than 2 days?

I was just reading your other thread, and if the cats have safe hiding places in your house, they might be just fine with no calming supplements.

I've never tried any but I shop online at Chewy's a lot. I did a search and came up with these. https://www.chewy.com/s?query=cat+ca...submit-button= I'm not sure which ones are organic though. You could look them over and see if there are any that you'd like to try.

During my cat's last vet appointment, a technician recommended Feliway and explained cats can smell the pheremones, which calms them down when they are scared. You can buy a small bottle for the day at any online pet store or Amazon.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Our roof replacement started early in the morning and was finished by late afternoon/evening. I just kept my cat locked downstairs in our finished basement, that's where his litter box is kept anyway. It was extremely noisy and he would have been frightened on the main floor of the house, my house is a small ranch. I've tried Rescue Remedy for my dog in past years and it really didn't do anything to calm him during thunder storms, etc.

I hope your cats do okay with some reassurance and comfort from you during that work, how long do you suppose it will take for your large home, more than 2 days?

I was just reading your other thread, and if the cats have safe hiding places in your house, they might be just fine with no calming supplements.

thanks so much! It should take about a week.....so lots of "Comfort Zone" and TLC....I'm thinking! Will keep you posted!

Thanks so much been reading about this and "Comfort Zone" diffusers which sound great and totally organic.

I hope Comfort Zone works for your cat! Keep in mind it only works in one room of the house.

hi there...thanks...yes, I bought 5 infussers today...one for each of the 'kitty play rooms'...
    so far...so good!

Oh cool, you have two cat rooms? Lucky kitties. Or are you doubling one for both cats and huamns?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystinaWJ View Post
    hi there...thanks...yes, I bought 5 infussers today...one for each of the 'kitty play rooms'...
    so far...so good!
    Interesting, good luck with it, let us know how things go.

I tried that and didn't see any results. I also tried Jackson Galaxy's spirits on my cats with no luck either. However, I had read some had good reactions and I hope it works for your cats. Did you have a lot of other damage from that hurricane? It's such a shame when natural disasters hit so I feel bad that you had to go through such a scary experience.

well....we have spoiled babies and a generous home...so we all can enjoy together time and private hiding spaces
    and of course when roof is done they get to go back to the gardens. During the day in and out...at night, alll safely inside.
    Both my husband and I take our pet responsibility very seriously..they are part of our family.Wonderful to see our gandbaby already showing pet responsibility! All in the Family!

Thanks for your concern....we've been here since Andrew so it's part of life in the tropics...but Irma was particularly brutal to foliage ,much more so than Andrew. We were very very Blessed! Partially lost some of our 40 year old fruit trees...but with TLC and our rain...it's all starting to come back. When I think of Puerto Rico....we were truly Blessed.
    I'll share afterFriday how this week fared with the Comfort Zone....maybe I'm imagining it, but I do see them very calm tonight... we'll see tomorrow....

Wow. How close did Andrew get to Miami? (Good thing 1992 did not begin with female names because my name is Andrea.) Irma hit Gainesville too, but I just lost power and saw tree damage.

Because of the extreme heat and excessive rainfall, I can't imagine why the cats would want to go outside every day. You would think they preferred to stay inside most of the year.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.