Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

good thoughts for my sister's rotti

not really good news but not bad either, his fever is done one point but the vet is not happy that it isn't down further, he actually told my sister he doesn't know what's wrong, they are going to do another iv drip and more tests today, but I think I've finally convinced her to take him to Boston. If that vet tells you he doesn't know what's wrong then its time to take him someplace where they can find out. I pointed out to her that when she was having her back issues she got a second opinion on her options so why not get a second opinion for the dog? She kind of thought it over for a minute then said maybe you're right. Duh, I know I'm right. His responsive to the anti biotic is fine but its just a bandaid, she needs to find the cause because if she doesn't once he comes off the anti biotic the problem is still there. I asked her if he said anything about psnudamonis (spelling?) and she said no, if its that that is a nasty thing to get rid of. So he is going to call her this afternoon with an update so now its just wait and see.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I've been thinking about you and Zeus. The fever going down a bit and a trip to Boston is a step in the right direction. They can figure out what to do so much faster. Thanks for the update my friend.

Glad the temperature has gone down, but one point is not that much. I hope she finds a doctor who can figure out what's wrong and help the boy, hoping for the best.

UPDATE:

the temp is down but not back to normal, they took him home, leg is still swollen but he is more alert. I'm not saying anymore, no one listens anyway but this makes no sense to me. Vet said there is an infection in the tissue of the leg that had the acl surgery, he's on an antibiotic for 8 weeks and medicam. If he's no better after the 8 weeks or if he gets worse then they will open the leg and do a biopsy. This answer would not satisfy me, I'd want to know what kind of infection and where is it and why did his fever go so high if its a localized infection? Not my dog and they don't want to listen, hope I'm wrong but I don't think this is over yet.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sounds serious.

they should have at least cultured it to see what bacteria or whatever it is then prescribed the right antibiotic, they gave him cefelexan, all that will do is keep it at bay, maybe, once he's off of it the problem will come back.

Zeus is no better today, leg still swollen and still lethargic. He is going back to the vet tomorrow, I tried talking to them again but all I get is "I trust my vet" Good for you I hope your trust isn't misplaced at the expense of the dog's life.

Poor boy, I hope he comes through this. In a way I can understand if they have a vet that they trust who has been caring for him all along, not wanting to move him to another location to start off again with a new doctor. There's no guarantee that would result in complete healing and recovery either.

I'm so sorry.

No there isn't but if they take him to Tuffs or Angel Memorial they won't stop looking until they find the problem, No guessing and hope you hit the right meds. Try this and try that, using up time that dog may not have. Am I the only one that sees this?

I understand what you mean and know that's got to be frustrating for you. Feeling helpless is one of the worst feelings in the world. I know it's not a lot of comfort for you to hear but at least know that you have suggested that option to your sister multiple times now. You have done everything that you can do. The ball is now in their court. Let's just keep hoping and praying that things will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkly Innocent View Post
    I understand what you mean and know that's got to be frustrating for you. Feeling helpless is one of the worst feelings in the world. I know it's not a lot of comfort for you to hear but at least know that you have suggested that option to your sister multiple times now. You have done everything that you can do. The ball is now in their court. Let's just keep hoping and praying that things will work out.
    I agree, you can only make suggestions out of love, but ultimately the pet parents make the final choices of how to care for their pets. I hope Zeus is doing okay today, any updates on his condition Linda?

He's eating a little and drinking but the leg is still swollen, not as much but he's on the antibiotic again, I'm afraid once the antibiotic stops he'll go back, and he can't live on antibiotics for the rest of his life, this isn't a cure, they need to find the cause before they can fix it

I agree, being on antibiotics too long just causes other health problems. Hoping there's some improvement for him.

You're right that the antibiotics are a temporary fix and I feel so bad for Zeus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.