helping a dog tracheal collapse

helping a dog tracheal collapse

is there any way i can help my dog from tracheal collapse ,

he is due at the vets soon.
    he seems to be coughing up a fur ball or alike
    he is a jrt rescue

Welcome to the forum! My Jackson suffers from this too. My vet put him on some medication for the coughing. It does seem to help him. I hope all goes well for him. Please keep us updated on him.

If he's wearing a collar take it off and replace it with a harness. The constant pulling on the collar with a leash doesn't do them any good.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your Jack Russell Terrier. I have no experience with tracheal collapse, but here's an old thread by Linda that gives some information. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....llapse-in-dogs

I agree a harness should be used with this condition so it doesn't worsen, good luck at the vets, I hope they can give your dog some help and relief.

Welcome! Sorry to here about your jack Russell Terrier.

I have always used a harness as i don't believe in leading by a collar.
    He went to the fat club today and has lost .03kg
    he weights 10.1 kg now ,but we are told that weight loss to 7.5kg target
    also we are now weighing out his food rather than guessing it
    this will help as will cucumber as a treat.

you can also mash up some either fresh or frozen, not canned, green beans, the beans will add bulk without calories so he will still feel full without adding calories, one cup of mashed green beans is only 34 calories
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hello new friends! Just want to make my first appearance and let you know I'm "mom" to 2 cats, Peabody & Polly, and 1 Maltese/Bichon named Henry. I love them ALL, but, Henry and I have something special. You know what I mean! He needs me and I need him. Unfortunately, he has tracheal collapse and skin allergies. I've read a lot of beneficial information and I plan on sharing mine so others can benefit from our trials and tribulations. Thank You....

Welcome to the forum Henry's Mom, sorry to hear your Henry suffers with trachael collapse also. What have you been doing to make things better for him? Would love to see a picture of your furbabies.

Hi there Alpha1, I tried to put Henry's picture in when I was going through registration. I'll see if I can work on that tomorrow..... As far as the tracheal collapse, we took him to MSU Veterinary Hospital and they did some testing. I didn't want to believe what the vet said, but she was right. (I agree with the sentiment on the bottom of Linda's posts.....they love you unconditionally, so it's our job to protect them the best we can.) After the diagnosis, I put him on a diet and he lost a couple lbs. That did help. Harnesses only.....not even a collar for a name tag. We keep an eye on it and I haven't seen anything like I did when he was diagnosed a few years ago. He was coughing so much and our vet sent us home with medications for the cough. Finally, she did x-rays and gave me the news. I have a friend whose doggy absolutely HAD to have the surgery to open his airway, but now he coughs because he has foreign objects in his trachea! We just do our best!

I'm glad you were able to help Henry and he's doing better. It's funny how I never heard of this condition when I was young, and now I hear about it a lot, online anyway. Maybe dogs were always suffering with it, but it went misdiagnosed.

PS: tips for posting avatars and photos in the Forum Support section here.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.