Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is trap-neuter-return good or bad?

Question Is trap-neuter-return good or bad?

Most cat lovers who know what TNR is seem to assume it reduces the feral cat population without any consequences. Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Feral cats still hunt for prey and are responsible for species extinctions. Studies on the effects of TNR have shown conflicting results, with some concluding it backfires and causes the feline birth rate to increase. I know TNR has benefits, but wonder if its impact on the feral cat population is overestimated and cats should not be returned to their colonies after being sterilized.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Then what are you going to do with them, Kill them? Before my mother got sick and was still living in her house she had a bunch of them, I think 14. They were trapped, spayed and returned. She put blankets and bedding in the garage and left the door open just enough for them to go in and out, and she fed them. Couldn't get near them because they were so wild but she took care of them, when she had to go into assisted living the people we rented her house to agreed to keep taking care of them. After mom died I sold her house to the people that had been renting it, at that point she still was feeding them, now I don't know but they were well cared for for years so yes, I think TNR is a good thing.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I like the garage idea for caretakers who don't have cars. No, I do not want support "trap and kill" procedures. It is unfortunate that there are people who think killing feral cats is better than neutering them.

I think it good. If you can't bring them into shelters and get them adopted then at least do the TNR program. Like linda said "what are you going to do with them, kill them?" No.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Furballs you can't bring them to a shelter to be adopted, these are wild cats and most times they can not be tamed, so that means living their lives out in a cage and more or less warehousing them. That is no life for an animal. Unless someone would take them for barn cats they are not suited to living in a house with humans.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

If the cat is vulnerable to attack in the wild for any reason, I absolutely would not put it back out to the colony. Sick, injured, infected, and disabled cats need to be kept away from other feral cats. I had a friend who said she does not want to bring in any more cats (she had 10 at the time), but was forced to change her mind when she rescued a kitten with a severe eye infection. The kitten needed to have her left eye removed and stay inside the rest of her life because of a permanent wink.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Furballs you can't bring them to a shelter to be adopted, these are wild cats and most times they can not be tamed, so that means living their lives out in a cage and more or less warehousing them. That is no life for an animal. Unless someone would take them for barn cats they are not suited to living in a house with humans.
    I know. I meant it to mean since their wild you can't bring them to a shelter.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

What about little kittens? Do you think because they are so young, it will not be too difficult to tame them for adoption?

first generation of feral kittens are tamable, second generation and more are not trainable.

How do you determine which kittens are in the first generation?

I guess if you can' tame them they are more than first generation

Where did you get the first generation thing from? The lady I mentioned with a one-eyed cat had previously adopted a feral kitten who could be tamed because of the extreme Sacramento temperatures (over 100 degrees) and some of her cats being in heat (she bred British shorthairs). The kitten, who she named Little Kitty because of her size at the time, will never become an indoor-only cat or be nice to other people, but spends a lot of time inside and does not stray very far from the house.

first generation is the original cat dumped or whatever, that cat has kittens, the kittens are first generation wild, they could be tamed, now the next generation of kittens from these first generation feral cats, these kittens can't be tamed, now these untamed cats have kittens of their own and the cycle continues.

It is a shame they can't all be tamed because TNR only solves one problem. It does not help wildlife and the envirnment at all because the spayed and neutered cats keep killing smaller animals.

I read feral cats get sick by eating garbage. Yuck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.